The England thread

• Admin
Coach Fabio Capello has confirmed that Wayne Rooney will not be selected in the England squad to face Spain and Sweden when it is named on Sunday.

The Manchester United striker, 26, is facing a three-match ban after being sent off against Montenegro last month.

The Football Association have appealed the ban but, if it is upheld, Rooney will miss the Euro 2012 group matches.

"I spoke to him and told him he would not be selected for this game and he understood this," Capello told FAtv.

"I want to see some players who can play in the Rooney position. I want to know the value of some players because Saturday's game against Spain will be really important.

"Spain play a different style to other teams and the Rooney position will be really important not only in this game but when we play in the Euros in Poland."

Capello confirmed that Bolton striker Daniel Sturridge will be selected in the squad, along with Rooney's Manchester United team-mate Danny Welbeck.

"I want to see something different," said Capello.

The Italian also confirmed that he would make a decision with regard to Rooney and the Euro finals once the outcome of the FA's appeal is known.

"Rooney is an important player and we are waiting to hear from Uefa on the appeal from the FA," Capello added. "I will make a decision on Rooney after I know everything."

England last played Spain in February 2009, when Capello's men were beaten 2-0 by the reigning European champions in Seville.

Last summer, Spain completed an international honours double by winning the World Cup in South Africa and Capello is eager to see how his players fare against such strong opponents.

"I don't know how many players played in the last game," said Capello. "I think Frank Lampard was captain and maybe two or three others."

"It will be difficult for us because Spain have improved quite a lot. They have won the Euros and the World Cup which has given them confidence. It will be important for the players playing on Saturday to know the value of the World Cup winners."

Capello is also keen to see how his players cope with Spain's much-lauded style of football.

"Spain play the new style, which is to press and get the ball with the forwards," added Capello. "It is really difficult to beat Barcelona, who play this style, and Spain because seven players come from that Barca side. They have transferred the style from Barcelona to the national team.

"It will be really interesting to see the defenders when they receive the ball and they will be pressed from the opponents.

"It is impossible to copy Spain's style because it comes from long periods of training from the Barcelona school. They start at the academy and transfer the style to the seniors."

• Admin
Fabio Capello has named a 25-man squad for the upcoming games at Wembley and has given first calls to Jack Rodwell and Daniel Sturridge.

Everton midfielder Rodwell and Chelsea forward Sturridge were both a part of the Under-21s squad at this summer's European Championship in Denmark, and have performed well in the Premier League this season.

The pair join former Under-21s team mates Joe Hart, Phil Jones, Kyle Walker, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Danny Welbeck in Fabio's squad.

England face two testing encounters against Spain in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley next Saturday, 12 November, before another home friendly against Sweden on Tuesday 15 November.

Fabio spoke on Saturday about the upcoming game, click here to watch the FATV video.

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson (Bursapor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David Stockdale (Ipswich Town - loan from Fulham)

Defenders

Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards

Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

No Micah Richards? Silly Capello. Good to see "20 goals" Danny Sturridge and Jack Rodwell getting picked though.

Fabio Capello has named a 25-man squad for the upcoming games at Wembley and has given first calls to Jack Rodwell and Daniel Sturridge.

Everton midfielder Rodwell and Chelsea forward Sturridge were both a part of the Under-21s squad at this summer's European Championship in Denmark, and have performed well in the Premier League this season.

The pair join former Under-21s team mates Joe Hart, Phill Jones, Kyle Walker, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Danny Welbeck in Fabio's squad.

England face two testing encounters against Spain in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley next Saturday, 12 November, before another home friendly against Sweden on Tuesday 15 November.

Fabio spoke on Saturday about the upcoming game, click here to watch the FATV video.

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson (Bursapor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David Stockdale (Ipswich Town - loan from Fulham)

Defenders

Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards

Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

No Micah Richards? Silly Capello. Good to see "20 goals" Danny Sturridge and Jack Rodwell getting picked though.

The biggest shock from that announcement is that Scott Carson apparently plays for Bursapor. <_<

I'm happy with that. Micah will be back eventually and Jones is ultra useful since he's a rare example of a utility player who's actually good. Carson is awful though, and how Bobby Zamora keeps making the squad is beyond me, other than that Carroll is off form and Capello wants a big lad.

Reading comments on a Newcastle forum asking 'wheres Danny Simpson?'. I never normally type this, but 'rofl'.

Edited by Colly

Can't believe Micah hasn't been picked, he's been one of Man City's best performers this season - along with Lescott - so not being picked when England lack any real presence at right back is perplexing.

Glad to see Zamora get a call-up too, big, powerful and can play with his back to goal as well as facing it, so has the potential to hold the ball up for wide players such as Johnson and Milner who are cutting in, assuming he gets played at all - which I assume he won't.

As for the goalkeepers, well, if only Kieren Westwood hadn't opted to play for Ireland...

As for the goalkeepers, well, if only Kieren Westwood hadn't opted to play for Ireland...

Moment of panic before I realised he had already played in a competitive game already. He's ours for keeps! :D

He made the right call anyway, he'll be first choice for us as soon as Given packs it in while he'd never take Joe Hart's spot.

Also Danny Simpson, shouldn't they mean where's Ryan Taylor!?

Just strange that Richards is left out yet again, one start under Capello I believe. No idea why considering he's better than both Walker and Johnson (in fairness, Walker has also been in great form too) and is currently in brilliant form, a little bit baffling.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Part of the problem is that practically any Premier League team can buy an international goalkeeper for about £4m, and he's guaranteed to be better than any English goalkeeper (bar Joe Hart)

No other country is going to buy an English goalkeeper when they have their own, so it's only the Championship where English goalkeepers can develop... and naturally bar extreme circumstances (like the one right now) an England manager would happily pick a Man United/Chelsea/Liverpool reserve with barely any experience over a Championship player :/

A Newcastle fan arguing on facebook that Steven Taylor is better than Gary Cahill and should be in the squad in his place. I stated "Cahill is twice the defender that Taylor is." His reply.. "If he was twice the defend then he'd f only left 4 goals in this season."

Terrible typing aside.. I find his logic perplexing.

• Admin
Spain squad to face England and Costa Rica in friendlies on 12 and 15 November respectively: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona); Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Jordi Alba (Valencia), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Nacho Monreal (Malaga); Xavi (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Malaga), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona); David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Sevilla).

That is a strong, strong team of players to pick from. Going to be a tough test for the England youngsters. Oh and could our lack of goalkeeping depth be any more prevalent than against Spain? Casillas, Valdes and Reina. Incredible.

De Gea is their fourth string? <_< Brutal.