The England thread

The shirts would have been (maybe they still are even though they're poppy-less?) auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the Royal British Legion charity. Therefore they will receive more money than they would have if it was just a player putting a pound into a collection tin for the sake of a few TV cameras.

How is this a bad thing?

It's not at all, and my very first statement said that the only bit I am in favour of is he auctioning of the shirts. My point was simply that rather than having everyone up to the Prime Minister campaigning to force players into Poppy branded shirts I'd rather see one of the players wearing an actual poppy because they want to. If the players are that aggrieved they could easily make up the difference, if you look on the auction sites the amounts aren't enormous.

General just summed up the political side, FIFA would be over a barrel if they set a precedent on this.

Worst comment I've heard yet on it was when I bizarrely flicked to talksport on my way home from work Monday, where a market trader was moaning he'd bought a load of knockoff poppied England shirts and now wouldn't be able to sell them...

General wins this discussion. The FA have made alternative arrangements to comply with FIFA rules. It's not like there are no other ways to mark the occasion respectfully and within FIFA rules. It's a storm in a tea cup.

• Admin
1510 FOOTBALL: Fifa have confirmed that two protestors from the English Defence League are currently on the roof of Fifa HQ in Zurich. The protest is over Fifa denying the FA permission for England team to wear poppy on shirt in game this Saturday v Spain.

The English Defence League!! That's exactly what we needed!!

• Admin

So now David Cameron and Prince William have written to Fifa about the poppies!!

The PM writes: "I can assure you that there are no political connotations whatsoever to wearing a poppy." He adds: "I do hope that we will be able to find a sensible way through which allows British participants in this weekend's matches to commemorate those who have fallen in conflict."

Wills says more of the same. Not that any of this will make Fifa budge.

And apparently the EDL thing was just a few guys going over from Luton on a spur of the moment thing.

This is all so very silly. It really is.

It's against FIFA rules, they have said no. Alternative ways of commemorating remembrance day have been arranged for the match.

Is it such a horrid crime against humanity that England players won't wear poppies on their shirts on Saturday? When they will wear them on their training tops and Anthem jackets.

• Admin

Gabby Agbonlahor has withdrawn from the squad as he is unable to train due to a hamstring injury.

Elsewhere, it has been confirmed that Frank Lampard will captain against Spain while John Terry will do so against Sweden. Capello has also stated that Phil Jones will play in a midfield role.