The England thread

I love him. What a superb open goal miss against Everton in the 90th minute the other week. 1-1 at the time, and it ended 3-1 to Everton. Terrific.

It will be just typical of England to beat the world champions then three days later go and lose at home to Sweden. But I wrote them off at the weekend as well so let's just see how we get on.

Capello confirmed that Sturridge was "100% on the bench" the other day. God knows why. Maybe he hasn't quite figured out what Walcott brings to the table yet. <_<

I still can't believe Stuart Downing is in the team, especially over a prospect like Sturridge. If Downing wasn't left footed he would never have got anywhere near the England time. Zamora up on his own is something I'm questioning - partnered with Sturridge or Welbeck I could've maybe seen it working, but I definitely don't think he's good enough as a lone striker, but I'd happily be proven wrong. With this kind of formation set up I think Carroll would've worked better than Zamora.

Hope Rodwell shows more promise and Walker has a good game. Looking forward to seeing Sturridge, should be a nice experiment but I can't help feel our attacking options are very underwhelming.

But I'm looking forward to the game nonetheless and I'm really excited about the England team at the moment and I think the experimentation, which at times could be questioned, is only a good thing for England.

I suspect that it's because that Capello wants to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 thingy with Zamora up front and Downing/Walcott wide, and wants to use Sturridge as part of a front two with someone. So there'll probably be a tactical switch when substitutions get made.

I'd much prefer to have Sturridge on the wing than either Walcott or Downing. He plays in that wide position for Chelsea and I'm sure he'd provide a more than Walcott's 'kick and run' or Downing's...well, he doesn't really do anything anyway. I'd love to see Walcott put in a good performance tonight, because he's showed signs he is capable, I just think he's too inconsistent to be an England starter.

Agree with JP - would've loved to have seen Johnson/Sturridge wide. I wish Johnson would've left City, I think playing for another team that isn't Chelsea or United he'd have more opportunity to show why he deserves to start for England.

Hasn't Downing created something like the most goal scoring opportunities over the past three seasons or so? I'm sure that was one of Opta's stats when Liverpool signed him, along with Adam, Henderson and himself all created over 110 goal scoring opportunities for their respective clubs in the season prior to all being signed.

He must be doing something relatively right.

Downing gets a lot of stick every time he's picked for England cos of his terrible spell under McLaren. Having said that, he's not international standard for a country that believes they should be coming in the last 4 of every major tournament.

Downing gets a lot of stick every time he's picked for England cos of his terrible spell under McLaren. Having said that, he's not international standard for a country that believes they should be coming in the last 4 of every major tournament.

To be fair, whoever put him in an F1 team wasn't thinking straight. :shifty:

See! It's not all fecking doom and gloom people! (Although I can't get the ITV live working and don't seem to have access for a TV..)

• Like 1

The England players have a total of 12 goals between them, six of them to John Terry.

Still, it's a friendly match. We clamour for people to be given chances in this sort of environment so I'm willing to give this eleven a go and my full support, they're all capable players.