The England thread

Mancienne was captain at that shocking U21 tournament.

Hart; Richards, Lescott, Terry, Cole; Carrick, Parker, Gerrard; Sturridge, Bent, Johnson

Would be my XI, or something like that. However I know Richards won't start ahead of Johnson, and Ferdinand and Terry will both play if fit, and I wouldn't be surprised if the front six were made up of Gerrard, Lampard, Dyer, J Cole, Defoe and Crouch. :shifty:

Jones captained the side against the Czech when Mancienne was injured I think.

My 11 would be Hart, Richards, Terry, Cahill, Cole, Carrick, Parker, Gerrard, Young or Sturridge, Walcott or Milner, Bent or Welbeck

Depending on who we're playing then that's when there's a choice. Welbeck would be a good target man whilst Bent is you're obvious poacher. Walcott has the pace to get in behind but Milner has the better final ball and is more consistent. And it's a toss up between Young and Sturridge depending who's on better form, Young has the edge at the moment because Capello seems to like him but Sturridge has a chance to force his way into the starting XI in the upcoming friendlies.

If only because I'm worried 24/7 that his matchstick legs are going to snap on him one day, and he just looks so damn clumsy on the ball

That's merely his demeanour and style, he isn't actually a clumsy unbalanced matchstick. I really think Crouch's ball skills are under-rated, I'd forgotten all about him since Capello never picks him anymore, I'd probably take him to the tournament actually.

Not a great comparison but Rovers fans always say that Shelton Martis looks clumsy and unbalanced all the time, but he isn't, it's just becaue he's a tall guy who has a certain odd composure.

If only because I'm worried 24/7 that his matchstick legs are going to snap on him one day, and he just looks so damn clumsy on the ball

That's merely his demeanour and style, he isn't actually a clumsy unbalanced matchstick. I really think Crouch's ball skills are under-rated, I'd forgotten all about him since Capello never picks him anymore, I'd probably take him to the tournament actually.

Not a great comparison but Rovers fans always say that Shelton Martis looks clumsy and unbalanced all the time, but he isn't, it's just becaue he's a tall guy who has a certain odd composure.

Oh no, I agree. I don't think he actually IS clumsy on the ball, he just looks like he is. He's scored some crackers in his time and he's definitely unfairly thrown into the "beanpole, can't do anything but head a ball" by certain fans, but it doesn't make for enjoyable viewing when you think he's going to fall over or get snapped every time he gets the ball.

Meh, we should never have given him it back last time, but as you say there's not exactly a lineup of saints to take over. Joe Hart? James Milner?

Since when has Jones showed any captain characteristics to make you think he would be suitable for the role? It's because he's a United CB isn't it?

Competent centre-backs who demonstrate no obvious character flaws often get hailed as "future captains" with no real logic. It seems to happen at a load of clubs.

I've forever wondered where this comes from, because in an ideal world I'd want my captain in the middle of the field leading the charge and working hard. Which is why I now feel stupid for not thinking of Scotty Parker. That boy MUST feature in our team, he's fucking excellent. I'd happily see him with the captaincy, even if it's just in name only.

On a different note, has anyone got a starting 11 that they'd put out? Without Rooney, Wilshire, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Lampard as shoo(shoe?)-in's for the team, seems an interesting time to start looking towards the future - although whether I actually expect Fabio to try something new for his final competition is a totally different kettle of sardines.

Mine: Hart, Richards, Jones, Terry, Cole, Barry, Parker, Milner, Johnson, Carrol, Welbeck.

Heavily tempted by Sturridge but the truth is, I just haven't seen him play enough to justify throwing his name onto this. Richards over Walker and Johnson is obvious for me, but I'm aware of potential issues Fabio has with Micah, so that's that on the RB front. Barry as anchor, allowing Richards and Cole to move forward with force if needs be. Parker would play central, but ahead of Barry. Milner and Johnson occupying the flanks but not too advanced that it would leave holes in the midfield. And then Carrol as your standard target man (because as we are England, we MUST long ball it when nothing else works out for us) and Welbeck's in fine form poaching and goal-getting.

I think it's something about having a captain at the back who can see the whole game. He can see and instruct the whole team, while someone in the middle is more likely to get forward and thus can't see the whole game. Something like that.

To be honest, I think the idea of a captain leading a team is now becoming redundant to the England squad of today. I'm not really bothered by the captaincy in the greatest of respects. However I do agree with Terry not being captain, if only because it's going to cause such unnecessary hassle from the papers and media, not to mention how can you have other black players getting picked and holding it against him? Hardly going to foster a great environment going forwards to Ukraine/Poland.

In terms of a new captain, it's obviously a tough choice given all of their misgivings in the public eye - the majority of footballers seem intent on portraying the worse sides of their personality to the fans - but I think if he can stay fit then Steven Gerrard would be the best choice. If not, maybe someone like Scott Parker if he plays.

The Bent issue is the same as it was when he was at Sunderland before the World Cup and was the second highest English goalscorer but didn't even go, let alone start. It's how the team needs set up specifically for him, that said, he will probably be our best option for the two games without Rooney - and then Rooney will waltz straight back into the squad for the final group game. To be honest I don't really like any of the situations, but that's just how England is.

However, in light of the John Terry saga that is - still - raging on ShoutSport as I chowed down my beef pie, people think he should be suspended pending the inquiry, as that's what happens 'to the every day working person in an office who gets a serious allegation against them'. Which is fair enough to some. So, if there are any countries that do implement such a policy of suspending prior to an inquiry of a serious allegation, I am willing to go to the newspapers days before the Euros kicks off and say I was shafted one after another by the entire German and Spanish national teams, substitutes, coaches, managers and all - and hopefully they will be suspended amid such chaotic allegations.

That said, I won't go any further so someone else will have to figure out a way to actually get us out of the group, because we probably won't. :shifty:

The Bent issue is the same as it was when he was at Sunderland before the World Cup and was the second highest English goalscorer but didn't even go, let alone start. It's how the team needs set up specifically for him, that said, he will probably be our best option for the two games without Rooney - and then Rooney will waltz straight back into the squad for the final group game. To be honest I don't really like any of the situations, but that's just how England is.

However, in light of the John Terry saga that is - still - raging on ShoutSport as I chowed down my beef pie, people think he should be suspended pending the inquiry, as that's what happens 'to the every day working person in an office who gets a serious allegation against them'. Which is fair enough to some. So, if there are any countries that do implement such a policy of suspending prior to an inquiry of a serious allegation, I am willing to go to the newspapers days before the Euros kicks off and say I was shafted one after another by the entire German and Spanish national teams, substitutes, coaches, managers and all - and hopefully they will be suspended amid such chaotic allegations.

That said, I won't go agree to any other allegations so someone else will have to figure out a way to actually get us out of the group, because we probably won't. :shifty:

Edited by IAceI

The media response to Capello's criticism of the decision to strip Terry of the captaincy pisses me off. They act like the F.A. are in the right and nobody has a right to say otherwise or speak their mind, much less the man that the F.A. has massively undermined in taking this decision. I was happy to see that, underneath an article on the main page of the BBC Sport website by David Bond titled "why Capello got it wrong", was almost total unity behind Capello from fans backing him and saying he was right to speak his mind on the issue. I agree with him and I am sick to death of stupid crap like this surrounding the national team. I can only hope upon hope that the lead in to Brazul 2014 (should be get there of course) is peaceful for once, though I won't hold me breath.

As far as I'm concerned I agree with Capello, he is the manager, he is not a stupid man and John Terry has been convicted of nothing. Maybe he shouldn't have been re-instated as captain last year in the first place, but that's besides the point now. Some complete idiots are to blame for this whole saga going on past the European Championship when it should have been sorted much sooner, and the way the media has jumped on it with such glee that they have something else to pick England apart for leading into a major tournament really annoys me.

Edited by AdamDRFC

It's something they know will get the people in their droves to comment on so it's not surprising from the media but similarily it just seems like pretty much a non-story that has been blown totally out of proportion to serve the pre-determined agenda that Capello should go.

As a Sunderland fan I have my own gripes with Capello and the way he goes about doing things at times but in this instance I don't see what he has done wrong. Not to mention the press seem to be going off mistranslated quotes for the most part, once again so it most likely serves their agenda.

It truly is a hilarious cycle as we flop between "wanting a talented manager" and "needing some English passion" every few years, and when we get the one we've harped on for for years we then set about dismantling said person in the most crude fashion possible.

Apparently we won't win the Euros because Capello hasn't got the passion, and obviously now we have captain-gate to fall back on and blame everyone but the players on the pitch once more when it all inevitably ends in tears. I want England to do well, and I'll be first in the pub in front of the TV to watch the matches with my friends like I was for the World Cup, but some people sure do go about making it nearly impossible to feel any sympathy for the team when they fail.

There's almost a sense of relief when we get knocked out now, because at least that way we know it's over, for a short while at least.

I'm somewhat bemused by the number of news readers/pundits I've heard ask "what effect is this having on the England dressing room?". "Oh," reply the 'experts' who should know better, "this is dividing them and making it all the harder for them to concentrate on preparing for Euro 2012".

What England dressing room? It doesn't exist! And who on earth is concentrating on Euro 2012 now? If any of them are, their club ought to be having stern words with them. Maybe it's the root of some poor league form. :shifty:

On the radio last night, not sure who it was, but one of the presenters was claiming Capello should go and it didn't matter who came in because "even we could pick a team that wouldn't get embarassed in our friendly games" and when the caller said "well, would it not take time for the new manager to get settled in?" the presenter said "well how long does he need, he has months until the Euros. Look at O'Neill at Sunderland and how quickly he turned tem around.." - completely ignoring the fact that a club manager works with his players every day of the week and an international manager not so.

Then again he also said "okay so I'm in charge, I've brough in Ray Wilkins, Adams to work with the defence, Shearer to work with the attackers - I have my coaching team sorted, what else is there to do."

Curse me not having a television in my kitchen when I'm eating my tea. That said, I'm a glutton for TalkSport, I can't get enough of people shouting at each other about football, especially former Cricketers. :shifty:

I find it therapeutic to yell at Talksport in the car, probably keeps the domestic violence at bay.

Adam I wouldn't derive any satisfaction from BBC blog comments though, they're all pseudo intellectuals with freedom of speech agendas. Jobless dicks basically.

I think Capellos comments were ill advised at best, innocent until proven guilty relates to the charges not the FAs treatment of him, if he worked where I did he'd have been suspended ages ago. For me we're in such a mess now we might as well write the whole thing off and pray whoever comes in has the balls to do a clearout finally. Choose between Rio and Terry? Just drop both of them.

I find it therapeutic to yell at Talksport in the car, probably keeps the domestic violence at bay.

Adam I wouldn't derive any satisfaction from BBC blog comments though, they're all pseudo intellectuals with freedom of speech agendas. Jobless dicks basically.

I think Capellos comments were ill advised at best, innocent until proven guilty relates to the charges not the FAs treatment of him, if he worked where I did he'd have been suspended ages ago. For me we're in such a mess now we might as well write the whole thing off and pray whoever comes in has the balls to do a clearout finally. Choose between Rio and Terry? Just drop both of them.

But... the golden generation!

I agree though, this team isn't going to win anything, get rid of the likes of Rio, Terry, Gerrard, Cole, Lampard, Barry and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting and just accept they were never as good as we thought they were. England team for me would be: Hart; Richards, Cahill, Jones, Baines; Milner, Wilshere, Cleverley, Adam Johnson, Sturridge; Rooney. Stick a couple of the more experienced players like Gerrard, Cole, etc on the bench but give the younger players a chance, especially since the likes of Sturridge, Milner, Richards and Jones are consistently looking miles better than Downing, Lampard, Johnson and Rio in the Premier League.

Admittedly I'm not entirely sure of that formation probably play Cleverley and Milner deeper and have Sturridge, Wilshere and Johnson as an attacking midfield trio.

Do we actually have a promising young left back that isn't Kieron Gibbs? Even Baines is 27 :/