The England thread

Warnock thinks the key skill that our managers have been missing is humour. I'll go see if Jasper Carrott fancies the job, he's a football man.

Edit: I can't belive I'm saying this but Joey Barton makes a good point. 4 months from the Euros and we have no manager and no captain, that is ridiculous.

Warnock thinks the key skill that our managers have been missing is humour. I'll go see if Jasper Carrott fancies the job, he's a football man.

Edit: I can't belive I'm saying this but Joey Barton makes a good point. 4 months from the Euros and we have no manager and no captain, that is ridiculous.

Given that its that or an alleged racist as captain with a manager who endorses him I'm unsure which is the favourable situation.

G Nev for England boss!

If only racism in football was ignored like in the good old days, there would be no problem now.

The thing is, it shouldn't necessarily be trial by media, or trial by the bloke down the pub. It should be done the way it is being done. Therefore, Terry should be in a position to be England captain, if that is how Capello wants things to be. Nowhere near as simple as you are trying to suggest.

If only racism in football was ignored like in the good old days, there would be no problem now.

I was referring to the situation, not the circumstances of the situation. I'm not about to get into an argument over lip-reading.

The thing is, it shouldn't necessarily be trial by media, or trial by the bloke down the pub. It should be done the way it is being done. Therefore, Terry should be in a position to be England captain, if that is how Capello wants things to be. Nowhere near as simple as you are trying to suggest.

And if two weeks after the Euros our captain is found to be a racist then what? Blame Capello? Absolutely innocent until proven guilty for the court case, but point me to an employer who wouldn't suspend the person in question just for the charge. The FA made the right call, even if they should have told Capello first.

Given that its that or an alleged racist as captain with a manager who endorses him I'm unsure which is the favourable situation.

G Nev for England boss!

:angry::puke:

Why is GA in here being stupid =\?

Personally I don't really care who gets the job, just as long as they are of the mind that fuck the older players, let's try and reinvent the England squad and maybe we'll get somewhere. Oh and not just "top best 11 players" actually pick players that will work well together, y'know, maybe they play for the same club team or something? Can't be too difficult an idea to implement.

The Special One is coming back to England though, COULD IT BE!?!?!

And if two weeks after the Euros our captain is found to be a racist then what? Blame Capello? Absolutely innocent until proven guilty for the court case, but point me to an employer who wouldn't suspend the person in question just for the charge. The FA made the right call, even if they should have told Capello first.

But he will be playing anyway? Like, I get the argument you are making, but even if he is not captain, and is found racist two weeks after it, there'll be a similar shit-storm. Either leave him where he is, or get rid of him completely.

But he will be playing anyway? Like, I get the argument you are making, but even if he is not captain, and is found racist two weeks after it, there'll be a similar shit-storm. Either leave him where he is, or get rid of him completely.

I'd go with that.

The most amusing ones so far suggested on SSN by fans have been Roy Hodgson and Martin O'Neil. Hodgson is so defensive he'd be crucified by the media.

It is someone quitting because they can't play someone - who has been clearly caught on saying saying "black cunt" (though the context is unclear) - in the way they want.

If John Terry had been captain and England somehow won the Euro Championship, he'd be the one lifting the trophy. If Terry was then convicted, that lasting image of him raising the trophy would give thousands of impressionable kids - who idolise footballers because their parents didn't do a good job - the idea that racism is reasonable if it leads to glorious moments like this.

EDIT: Personally, he shouldn't be anywhere near a football tournament while legal proceedings are ongoing.

Just spotted some idiot on the BBC live text claiming that it should be Redknapp in now with Pearce as Assistant with the "understanding" that Pearce will get the job for the World Cup. Oh and that we shouldn't take anyone over 25 to the Euro because they won't be viable for the World Cup.

Because 27/28 is faaarr too old to playing international football you know <_<

It is someone quitting because they can't play someone - who has been clearly caught on saying saying "black cunt" (though the context is unclear) - in the way they want.

If John Terry had been captain and England somehow won the Euro Championship, he'd be the one lifting the trophy. If Terry was then convicted, that lasting image of him raising the trophy would give thousands of impressionable kids - who idolise footballers because their parents didn't do a good job - the idea that racism is reasonable if it leads to glorious moments like this.

I teach kids like that. Whilst it doesn't make that Terry scenario good news for anyone, you are giving way too much power to them being able to link the two, or to the fact that this will somehow turn kids that are fine into racial epithet spewing thugs. Basically, if it is latent in the kid, it is latent in the kid. If the man in the street thinks that Ferdinand IS a black cunt, then the man in the street will think that irrelevant. Nothing changes with Terry lifting the cup, then being deemed a racist........the racists will lord it, the intelligent rational people will not. Simple as that really.

• Like 2

I teach kids like that. Whilst it doesn't make that Terry scenario good news for anyone, you are giving way too much power to them being able to link the two, or to the fact that this will somehow turn kids that are fine into racial epithet spewing thugs. Basically, if it is latent in the kid, it is latent in the kid. If the man in the street thinks that Ferdinand IS a black cunt, then the man in the street will think that irrelevant. Nothing changes with Terry lifting the cup, then being deemed a racist........the racists will lord it, the intelligent rational people will not. Simple as that really.

In the last few weeks we've seen Evra booed, Anton Ferdinand abused and had a bullet sent to him, and Rio Ferdinand booed for being the brother of someone who's been allegedly racially abused. Yes, most of those people will be racist twats anyway, but some of them will be (admittedly stupid) football fans who don't recognise it as unacceptable. If that's what happens off the back of club nonsense like the Suarez t shirts, what happens when its okay for the England captain to be racist?

In the last few weeks we've seen Evra booed, Anton Ferdinand abused and had a bullet sent to him, and Rio Ferdinand booed for being the brother of someone who's been allegedly racially abused. Yes, most of those people will be racist twats anyway, but some of them will be (admittedly stupid) football fans who don't recognise it as unacceptable. If that's what happens off the back of club nonsense like the Suarez t shirts, what happens when its okay for the England captain to be racist?

Well, it won't be, because he will be fined/suspended/so on and so on.

We aren't talking about him raising the cup/competing and then being found not guilty. We are talking about that happening, and then him being found guilty. At which point, he gets hit with a multiple game ban and fines. It isn't as if some consequence isn't meted out, and that it won't be done in a pretty high profile manner.

Edited by Liam