The England thread

I'm really depressed by just how little I actually care about this whole thing. I didn't really like Capello as a person, he never once even came to the Stadium of Light, but his track record speaks for itself - yet once again England think they know best.

I say bring back Graham Taylor, jokingly, but at least it would make things more humerous to actually deal with. We could have a laugh again instead of despairing at our inevitable failure. Just appoint Harry quickly, or anyone, just get it done so we can get back to actually discussing the football and not trivial things such as who will be this years scapegoat.

All I've thought about this Euros is how much I'm looking forward to watching Germany.

Sorry guys. Bah, fucking, humbug. :(

Stuart Pearce will take charge for the Holland match.

Part of me hopes he gets the job through Euro 2012, because he'd inevitably be such a disaster that the FA would have no choice but to remove him from the England set up completely. The thought of him having any involvement in the development of or young players is incredibly depressing.

Competence. The three tenses of being England manager. Passiontent. Competent. Englandtent.

Stuart Pearce will take charge for the Holland match.

Part of me hopes he gets the job through Euro 2012, because he'd inevitably be such a disaster that the FA would have no choice but to remove him from the England set up completely. The thought of him having any involvement in the development of or young players is incredibly depressing.

This.

He's useless.

Harry Redknapp says he is flattered to be linked with England

Story in the spoiler box or at the link.

Harry Redknapp says he is "flattered" to be put forward for the England manager's role and admits it is the "ultimate job for an Englishman".

However, he claims it would be "very difficult" to manage England part-time while remaining Spurs boss.

He said if he was offered the job he would have to make the decision that put his family first.

"It is nice that people put me in a position where they think I've got a chance of the job", he said.

"Yes, it's flattering. Other managers have come out and said nice things and I appreciate everybody's support in everything that has happened in my life in the last little spell.

"I've had great support from everybody and that is important when you go through a situation I've been through you find out who your friends are for sure."

More to follow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16960250

I just saw Sky reporting that Stewart Pearce had a racist encounter with Paul Ince nearly 20 years ago!

That's just scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep these stories going. <_<

Anyone who isn't Harry Redknapp that looks like they might be in a position to be considered for the job is going to be hounded and discredited by the press. They're fed up of being shut out of what's going on, so they want a manager who they know will invite them inside and give them soundbite after soundbite.

It's a bit like Hodgson and Liverpool. Sick of the foreigner who treats the press with contempt, so they want a 'passionate, arm round the shoulder' Englishman who 'gets' the job/club/country.

"I hope lessons have been learnt because I would never have a manager who couldn't speak English. Capello never bothered to get himself proficient in the language, even though he said he would."

This is a quote from Stoke owner Peter Coates, and this attitude infuriates me. I may be alone in this respect, but god damn anyone would think Capello shot one of the Queen's corgies or something, the way some people are carrying on. Coates also said that "you havw to be getting to the last four of major tournaments" and said that nobody should be praised for doing routine things like getting England to the last 8 or whatever. Yet another moron who thinks England are/should be better than they actually are in reality.

I would like to ask Coates how many foreign languages he is fluent in, and how many of them he learnt whilst living in the country and doing a high-pressure job with everyone in that nation watching on expectantly.

Whilst I agree with some of the sentiment here, I have one small issue.....when people do the whole comparison of trophies won and so on and so forth.

Capello won titles with Milan (biggest team arguably in Italy), Real Madried (one of the big two in Spain), Roma (fair play on that one), and Juventus (stripped of both titles due to suggestions of corruption).

Now, I know I'll get the 'If English managers were any good, they'd end up in these roles', but frankly, managers like a Redknapp have never really been in a position to be at one of the top clubs, to really propel their career. Ferguson has been at Man U for years, Wenger and Arsenal the same. With those two locked down, and Chelsea then throwing money around, there aren't many big teams that can take a run at the title in Premiership football. It would have also only taken one title to make a difference....Capello played for Milan, then managed the biggest team in Italy, won titles, which led to him managing for the biggest team in Spain and then so on. He wouldn't have got the opportunity at RM if he hadn't have been at Milan.

I dunno. It just annoys me when people piss and moan about relevant experience or titles. It is a point, but it isn't the be all and end all.

Edited by Liam

"I hope lessons have been learnt because I would never have a manager who couldn't speak English. Capello never bothered to get himself proficient in the language, even though he said he would."

This is a quote from Stoke owner Peter Coates, and this attitude infuriates me. I may be alone in this respect, but god damn anyone would think Capello shot one of the Queen's corgies or something, the way some people are carrying on. Coates also said that "you havw to be getting to the last four of major tournaments" and said that nobody should be praised for doing routine things like getting England to the last 8 or whatever. Yet another moron who thinks England are/should be better than they actually are in reality.

I would like to ask Coates how many foreign languages he is fluent in, and how many of them he learnt whilst living in the country and doing a high-pressure job with everyone in that nation watching on expectantly.

High-pressure job? He has loads of months off between matches. He could have easily learned English within one year, just by taking classes once or twice a week and living in the freaking country. Mancini is Italian and learned English way faster than Capello and Mancini has a real high pressure job.

I like how Alan Sugar has waded into the debate... he's spot on though, If I can find a link ill edit this post later and add it but for now;

Basically

- Nobody wants England job

- Always a story to blame

-- Wags

-- Gambling

-- Did it cross the line

-- Key player banned for first 3 matches.

Just give the job to Pearce, let him build up as he builds the team up... what he said was 18 years ago, he and Ince will have probably chatted about that and made up, not saying its right, but c'mon.