The England thread

• Admin
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has said he will consider his England future after this summer's European Championships.

The 31-year-old, who has won 89 caps, has been hit by injuries over the last two seasons and, while he admits he loves playing for his country, he knows calling time on the international stage could help prolong his club career.

He said in The People: "It's something I am going to have to sit down and think about after the Euros this summer."

He added: "I've not spoken to anybody about it yet, nor have I made any decision about what I might I do because there are a lot of things to consider.

"I'm just fully focused on doing as well as I can for Liverpool this season and then playing in the Euros for England. After that we will see that happens.

"First and foremost is that I love playing for England and to captain your country is the pinnacle for any player so that makes me proud," added Gerrard, who captained England during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"And I want to make this clear, when I do decide to stop playing international football it would never be because I don't want to play for my country - it would never be because of that.

"But I am aware of the future, the injuries I've had and I want to play for Liverpool for as long as I can. I also know there are quite a few players who have stopped playing international football to prolong their club careers and it's helped them to do that.

"I can understand why people might think that kind of a decision is approaching and I've spoken to my surgeon and the medical people but, like I say, I've not made any decisions because there is no need yet."

So much for our new long-term captain to be >_<

Just got tickets for the U21s on Wednesday, making it the first international I've been to of any level (bar the Bobby Robson England v Germany charity game, final whistle went before Jimmy Nail could get on) since an U21 game v Ireland in what google tells me was 94. Steve Watson, Nicky Butt and Sol Campbell against a becurtained Steve Carr.

Quite looking forward to it, only a fiver too.

Just got tickets for the U21s on Wednesday, making it the first international I've been to of any level (bar the Bobby Robson England v Germany charity game, final whistle went before Jimmy Nail could get on) since an U21 game v Ireland in what google tells me was 94. Steve Watson, Nicky Butt and Sol Campbell against a becurtained Steve Carr.

Quite looking forward to it, only a fiver too.

It should be a good match, I'll be giving the U21's a watch for sure. Haven't decided on the seniors yet. But yeah, Belgium will have a lot of good players on their team you'd imagine so it should be a pretty good match. Take into account the England manager's don't really know as much about this team as they probably could and I wouldn't be surprised if Belgium don't come away with the win again to be honest. Should be a pretty decent match anyways.

Oh and it's 'only' a fiver to us. But to them at the Riverside? That's a great deal. It'll also be nice to see the Riverside with people in it, it's been a while since they go in the 20,000 mark I believe? :D

• Admin

After an open training session at Wembley, a press conference with Stuart Pearce is set to take place with the yet to be named captain.

Word is now filtering through that Joe Hart will be having the press conference, although the FA are saying that there should be no presumption that this necessarily means he's captain.

Your visit I think, although I seem to think they gave your lot a bigger allocation than you gave them at the SoL, with it being a hard to police 'derby' and that.

Yes. They've only had 2 this season I think over 20,000. And yeah we got a bigger allocation than we did, we're policed by Northumbria anyways so it's up to them I believe - as the clubs don't get to choose allocations it's just an automatic 15% anyways isn't it for the FA Cup?

Some Boro fans knew our supporters group chairman and met us at Newcastle central anyways and got the same train back to Carlisle as us so obviously all this policing is there for a reason but similarly avoidable if some knuckle draggers want a 'rumble'. It's just a shame that whenever we do play Newcastle and Middlesbrough and probably the same with when them two play, that honest fans who just want to go watch a game of football can be manhandled by people. I know this for a fact when I was nearly launched down St Peters metro on derby day last season. :shifty:

Anyways, that's a ramble and a half. Here's to hoping Henderson leads the U21's to glory tomorrow evening.

Edited by IAceI

The Boro bits annoying though as they randomly change their minds season by season. While I was at uni, so probably 04 I missed out on a ticket in the away end so sat with some Boro mates in the home. After the game they held no one back, opened the doors and let people mingle, no bother at all. In fact I bumped into a mate in the away end and tapped him on the shoulder, think his dad thought I was an angry Boro fan looking for bother (Shola got the winner).

Championship season I was in the away end, held back, then kettled and frogmarched to the station with 5000 fans down a narrow road past the 'home' pubs on the way. Police with cameras, pub window was smashed, bit of bother with a load of Boro fans lurking by the station. Genius. To make it worse, loads of Toon fans surprisingly hadn't got the train, and we were actually going into town for a parmo and a night out with some mates. Had to argue with one policeman to go through their daft picket to which he replied 'does it look like I'm in charge?', before another slightly more human fella let us through. No issue with the police in general (worked for the prison service too long to bear a grudge against uniforms) but morons annoy me.

Even longer rant over.

England!