The England thread

Alan Sugar is right though. It's probably the toughest job in football because of the sheer amount of pressure and then getting torn to shreds by the media.

We aren't good enough to win the World Cup and that because of the English mentality, the press and the way youngsters get taught. Look at how Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, Holland etc develop their kids from an early age compared to us. There is a reason why they keep producing quality players technically while the English mentality is focused on the physical side too much.

"I hope lessons have been learnt because I would never have a manager who couldn't speak English. Capello never bothered to get himself proficient in the language, even though he said he would."

This is a quote from Stoke owner Peter Coates, and this attitude infuriates me. I may be alone in this respect, but god damn anyone would think Capello shot one of the Queen's corgies or something, the way some people are carrying on. Coates also said that "you havw to be getting to the last four of major tournaments" and said that nobody should be praised for doing routine things like getting England to the last 8 or whatever. Yet another moron who thinks England are/should be better than they actually are in reality.

I would like to ask Coates how many foreign languages he is fluent in, and how many of them he learnt whilst living in the country and doing a high-pressure job with everyone in that nation watching on expectantly.

I think its not an unreasonable expectation that the manager of a national team learns the language of said nation, especially when he's been there near enough four years. Whether or not someone on the board at Stoke has foreign languages on his CV is irrelevant really, since he works in Stoke.

The last four thing I agree with, but when your only job is picking, instructing and motivating a team its a damn sight easier if you speak the same language, and I can't think of many successful managers who haven't done so.

The media are the ones who try to fuck us over every tournament anyway, either digging for a scoop or just being generally irritating.

They're one of the reasons I cant be arsed watching England (much rather watch any of the other Home Nations if im being honest, a lot more pride and it shows)

The media big the 11th best team in the World up to make them look like champions, when they're lacking in most departments.

They'll look for any scandal to sell papers, if there isn't one, make it up.

The expectation that it'll be 'our year' based on fuck all annoys the hell out of me, and thats coming from the fans who watch every 2 years.

The constant scapegoating when things go tits up.

Boring football.

Bernstein. cunt.

• Admin
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp believes somebody could take the England job on a part-time basis for Euro 2012, but not in the long term.

Redknapp, 64, is the favourite for the post but insists "it wouldn't be fair" to walk out on Spurs.

Asked if someone could do the job part-time, he told Abu Dhabi Sports: "In the short term maybe it's possible for the European Championship.

"But in the long term it's not possible to manage a club and a national team."

Redknapp added: "It's difficult enough to manage in the Premier League without having to worry about managing the England team as well. You want to be watching England players play, you want to be watching the opposition.

"I think, whoever they give the job to, could only do the one job. Maybe for the Euros, it's not such a problem but once the Euros are finished and the new season starts in England, the manager has to be a Premier League manager - if it's someone who manages in the Premier League - or the England manager.

"To do the two jobs, it would be impossible."

The Football Association have been searching for a new manager since Fabio Capello resigned last Wednesday. The organisation's board met last Friday to discuss the identity of the Italian's successor.

The Premier League season finishes on 13 May when Fulham are the visitors at White Hart Lane. England have friendlies against Norway in Oslo on 26 May and Belgium at Wembley on 2 June.

England's Euro 2012 campaign begins against France on 11 June.

Redknapp has emerged as the popular choice for the job due to a fantastic season at Tottenham. Spurs lie third in the Premier League and are in great shape to qualify for the Champions League.

While acknowledging the support, he insisted it would be hard to walk away from White Hart Lane.

"I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't the popular choice," the ex-Bournemouth, West Ham United, Portsmouth and Southampton manager stated.

"I know I am, it's been everywhere, in every paper every day.

"But it's not an easy one. I have a good job and I work with good people and I have a good team.

"Just to walk away now, when we're in such a good position, it wouldn't be fair, it wouldn't be fair on Tottenham. I have to really keep focusing on Tottenham.

"This week we have Stevenage in the Cup, then we have Man Utd, then we have Arsenal, then we have Chelsea. We have some fantastic games. It's important time for me with Tottenham."

Goodness gracious just take the job already. To hell with all of this speculation, to hell I say!

England's football team have ditched their home kit after wearing it just eight times.

It's the fewest number of times they have ever used new shirts.

Anyone who wants to keep up with the latest design will have to buy the new kit which will be shown off at England's next match, a friendly against the Netherlands on 29 February.

That would mean spending more than £70 for a child's shirt, shorts and socks.

A lot of supporters are angry that they have to spend so much money so often if they want to stay up to date.

The new kit will be worn during this summer's European Championship campaign in Poland and Ukraine.

lol. A damn shame too as the last two kits have been lovely.

Did that last kit actually get worn in a tournament? Read that its 18 months per kit now, which is not only disgusting, its stupid too.

Suppose it means I might get another England shirt for four pounds in Sports Direct though.

That's well worth the trip. The U19's aren't too bad from what I've seen of them, not sure how much their team has changed recently, but worth a watch - especially when it's local and for £3.

That said, let's get back to the actual only issue at hand - the England managers job. It needs discussed even more than already in my eyes, we can never talk enough about the endless possibilities of people queuing up for the England job. Maradona has ruled himself out but other than that (we didn't want him anyways) everyone is fair game though?

Now I know he just signed a massive contract with Anzhi which makes him one of the most highly paid coaches in the world, but surely if Guus Hiddink knows we're interested he will take the job? Maybe he could manage Anzhi, England AND Chelsea all at once and everyone will be happy. Or maybe we could get Guardiola? Or Mourinho?

Personally my favoured combination at the minute is a little out there, but it's truly patriotic (we'll ignore the blatantly obvious problem with the manager) but what I want is the manager to be an actual real life Lion to inspire the players. And he will be assisted by a pint of Bombardier Bitter and the first team coach will be a chest thumping reincarnated Saint George. Afterall, if they can't get England to win, who can?

PS. Work is very boring today. :(

• Admin

England squad to face Holland:

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).