The England thread

Decent squad that, suprised Lescott isn't there as it looks a bit weak at CB, lot of people who can play right back though (Richards, Johnson, Smalling, Walker & Jones). Midfield looks half decent, just a shame Wilshere still isn't available, and the forwards look a bit one dimensional because there's no real target man.

I'd like to see this line up:

GK: Hart

RB: Walker

CB: Smalling

CB: Cahill

LB: Baines

DM: Parker

CM: Cleverley

CM: Gerrard

RW: Sturridge

LW: Young

ST: Rooney

Surprised at no Carrick considering the form he's been in.

With Fabio now gone, surely Richards will finally break into the team in the RB position. I'd also have no problem with resting Rooney here, currently out for the game tonight with a throat infection anyway not to mention the obvious stuff with his ban.

• Admin
Full England Under-21 squad: Goalkeepers: Ben Amos (Manchester United), Jack Butland (Birmingham), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough);

Defenders: Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough), Ryan Bennett (Norwich), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Craig Dawson (West Brom), Martin Kelly (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Adam Smith (Tottenham);

Midfielders: Gary Gardner (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Henri Lansbury (Arsenal), Jason Lowe (Blackburn), Josh McEachran (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Cameron Stewart (Hull), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace);

Forwards: Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Will Keane (Manchester United), Marvin Sordell (Bolton), Connor Wickham (Sunderland).

Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, 19, and Hull midfielder Cameron Stewart have been handed their first call-ups to the England Under-21s squad for the European Championship qualifier against Belgium. They will be managed in the Group Eight fixture by Brian Eastick, who is deputising for England caretaker manager Stuart Pearce.

Glad for Campbell, not a chance he'll play you'd imagine but good for him. He's done brilliantly since he came back from his injury and added some more spice and speed into our counter attacking game.

No Grant Holt though? Travesty. :(

EDIT: I love the apopolectic rage sweeping around that Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn't been called up. (RE-EDIT: When I say that I mean, people on F365 of course :shifty:) Because Pearce couldn't have thought "The U21 match is an important game and it's better he plays 90 minutes and effects that game as best he can rather than gets a 15 minute cameo in the senior side in a rather pointless friendly." But let's not give people too much credit.

Edited by IAceI

EDIT: I love the apopolectic rage sweeping around that Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn't been called up. (RE-EDIT: When I say that I mean, people on F365 of course :shifty:) Because Pearce couldn't have thought "The U21 match is an important game and it's better he plays 90 minutes and effects that game as best he can rather than gets a 15 minute cameo in the senior side in a rather pointless friendly." But let's not give people too much credit.

That is pretty much exactly what Pearce has said to explain Chamberlain's absence from the senior squad.

I'm unsure on the Rooney thing, Capello said he wouldn't pick him for any games leading into the tournament and I thought that was the best way forward. We need to figure out a good line-up that doesn't feature him, and there aren't many opportunities to try something different. Plus it's no good if all the players go into those matches thinking "oh well we might not be able to do this without Rooney".

Edited by AdamDRFC

England squad to face Holland:

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

I wouldn't have called up Rooney, would have left him out of this one and tried someone else out. Hopefully he doesn't start and if he does play it'll be a cameo from the bench. Would never have called Campbell for a call up, but I've always been a big fan of his so I hope he gets a chance.

Overall it's a really good looking squad I think and it's probably not far off the squad we'd be taking to the Euro's, I think Terry, Lescott and Jagielka would be in the squad if fit though.

The team I'd like to seet start would be Hart, Richards, Smalling, Cahill, Cole, Parker, Gerrard, Cleverley, Young, Bent, Sturridge.

Yeah, I was going to say that's a lot of right backs. Also, what did Cleverly and Downing do to get call-ups? I'm all for introduicing new players (Cleverly) but he's played fuck all football in the last few months, we should've taken a chance on another English midfeilder who's been working hard and putting in good performances. And Downing's just awful. :shifty:

Good for Fraizer Campbell, though. He's looked sharp in the few games he's been back. This squad can't do anything for Andy Carroll's confidence, who I actually think kind of merited a call-up with his improved performances. At least it'd give us a different attacking option, but overall I think it's a very decent squad.