The England thread

• Admin
For immediate release

Betting suspended on next England manager

LADBROKES HAVE suspended betting on the next permanent manager of England.

Overwhelming favourite Harry Redknapp was last quoted as the odds-on 2/7 favourite but the firm have now suspended betting due to punters suggesting it's a done deal with 95% of bets being placed on the Spurs boss to take over from Fabio Capello.

Scott Parker's odds of captaining the national side in the opening Euro 2012 fixture against France have collapsed in 24hrs to just 2/1 (from 10/1) and it's also odds-on (4/6) that John Terry will start the match.

England are 6/5 to go unbeaten in the run up to the tournament and it's 8/1 they win every game between now and June.

With Fabio Capello now unemployed it's 13/8 that his next managerial position will be in Russia or 7/4 he returns to his native Italy.

Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said: "Punters can't stop piling in to Redknapp. We've seen enough money now to suggest it's a done deal."

Ladbrokes latest betting

To captain England vs France

Steven Gerrard 5/6

Scott Parker 2/1

Joe Hart 6/1

Gareth Barry 8/1

Frank Lampard 14/1

Ashley Cole 40/1

England to go unbeaten in the run up to the start of the Euros? 6/5 England to win all their games in the run up to the start of the Euros? 8/1 John Terry to start v France 4/6 John Terry to not start v France 11/10 Where will Capello manage next Russia 13/8 Italy 7/4 China 7/1 Spain 10/1 England 5/1

No way it is a done deal already.

• Admin

More fallout...

The Sports Minister, Hugh Robertson, say he's delighted Fabio Capello is no longer England manager. Speaking in the Commons, Mr Robertson criticised the way Mr Capello reacted to the FA's decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy. The Minister defended the FA and said it would have been impossible for John Terry to "discharge his responsibilities" as England captain with a court case hanging over him. John Terry denies a charge of allegedly racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand. The Minister told MPs it was a, "very great shame that Fabio Capello has acted in the way that he has. If a player in his team had behaved in the way that he has behaved to the FA he would have taken the toughest possible action and I'm delighted that the FA have agreed with him that he should no longer be manager".

Redknapp speaking about it

"I was shocked. I was surprised. We knew he would leave in summer. I didn't expect it to happen now."Tottenham have been fantastic. The fans were great in the Wigan game.

"It wouldn't be right to focus on anything else other than Tottenham. That's my focus.

"I never thought about it [the England job]. They [the FA] will make whatever decision they want to make and hopefully be right for the country."

Edited by The General

Anyone else think Fergie is behind Rio and Rooney coming out and saying Harry should be the next England manager just to pile on some more unwanted distractions to Spurs' title challenge?

You say that like they aren't self-important twitter whores anyway (well, more Rio obviously).

I'm just waiting for someone to repost the Mick McCarthy stuff and then it'll be like reading the last twenty posts all over again.

What if its a variant of the Mick McCarthy gif.

naughty-memes-the-look.gif