The England thread

Was hoping we'd get one final tournament before onest arry and his one FA Cup takes over, but oh well.

Journalist on Five Live saying that the last four years have "been a nightmare", because Capello "couldn't communicate with the fans" - and I'm sure it had nothing to do with Capello treating the English press with the disdain they deserve. Also said he hopes Harry can take over and groom "Alan Shearer or somebody" for the job.

Can't wait.

Now, I'm one of the people who considers Alan Shearer to be a living God, but he has done absolutely nothing to prove he can manage a football team. Great player =/= Great manager.

Capello resigns, Redknapp gets found not guilty of tax evasion. COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!! :shifty:

This was my immediate reaction. The timing is ridiculous.

I'd imagine it has more to do with Terry being stripped of the captaincy against Capello's wishes. I guess we can blame our upcoming underperformace at the Euro's on that lip reader... :shifty:

I'm glad Capello is standing up for what he believes in. You know the world is going down the toilet when you can't call a black man a "fucking black cunt" because you don't like the way the football game is going without being punished. It's political correctness gone mad.

• Like 1

Was hoping we'd get one final tournament before onest arry and his one FA Cup takes over, but oh well.

Journalist on Five Live saying that the last four years have "been a nightmare", because Capello "couldn't communicate with the fans" - and I'm sure it had nothing to do with Capello treating the English press with the disdain they deserve. Also said he hopes Harry can take over and groom "Alan Shearer or somebody" for the job.

Can't wait.

If things have gone like suggested, he has also treated the FA with the disdain they deserve. They went over his head, and basically did the whole 'guilty until proven innocent', against Capello's will. If he has stuck to his guns and left due to that, than fair play.

Yeah, don't blame him at all for leaving, the FA have once again shown themselves to be massively incompetent.

Capello's by far and away the best manager England could have hoped to have, all the other potential candidates look ridiculous compared to him. Redknapp and his one FA Cup in thirty odd years of management? And who would fill in his application form? Roy Hodgson and his collection of Swedish trophies from the 80's? Gareth Southgate and his... nothing? Stuart Pearce and his passion?

What's Guus Hiddink doing at the moment?

I know that the whole "must be an English manager" doctrine is the in-thing right now, but what about Guus Hiddink? He seems to be the international go-to guy and is currently out of a job.

I dunno. Ask Russia and Turkey why he's out of a job.

• Like 1

'arry will probably be the man the media want to have the job, who will promote the idea of an English manager for England because of underlying xenophobia especially when it comes to international managers jobs.

Gary Neville's on the anti-foreigner kick on SSN now!

I hope Redknapp stays at the Spurs, at least 'till the end of the season.

Can't wait.

If things have gone like suggested, he has also treated the FA with the disdain they deserve. They went over his head, and basically did the whole 'guilty until proven innocent', against Capello's will. If he has stuck to his guns and left due to that, than fair play.

Yeah, don't blame him at all for leaving, the FA have once again shown themselves to be massively incompetent.

Capello's by far and away the best manager England could have hoped to have, all the other potential candidates look ridiculous compared to him. Redknapp and his one FA Cup in thirty odd years of management? And who would fill in his application form? Roy Hodgson and his collection of Swedish trophies from the 80's? Gareth Southgate and his... nothing? Stuart Pearce and his passion?

What's Guus Hiddink doing at the moment?

Good shout, I think his move to Anzhi failed so he's available.

I really hope Redknapp doesn't get the England job. It will be an absolute disaster. A real life Mike Bassett, if you will.

Yeah, but...England are a disaster most of the time anyway.

Think of the flip side of that coin: the England manager job is a poisoned chalice, guaranteed to turn the media against you and destroy your career. In this spirit I fully endorse Harry Redknapp for the position.