AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

Quick question, when is episode 5 shown in the states? Just trying to work out when not to come in this thread, we get it on Fridays.

It's tonight, usually airs on Sunday, barring when they decide to take their annoying break like they seem to with every enjoyable show that airs in the states.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

If you have seen Episode five you know what i always wanted this show to be. Whoever wrote, directed or cut this needs to do every episode from now on.

Only minor complained is that Glen got no blam or feeling of guilt yet. With no Merel him driving the ringing car into the camp cearly must have been the reason for the atack.

I was not expecting them to depart this heavily from the books this quickly. I think it's safe to say the show is going to be it's own thing.

Never read the books. Is the show going off on its own a good or bad thing? Loving the show so far though

I'm weary of the CDC stuff, because it is a drastic departure from the book. Stuff like the CDC, any hope for a cure, and scientists testing the virus (or whatever the cause is), is rarely mentioned in the book. And by rarely, I mean in the seven year history of the book, there's one particular point where they might find someone who's involved with scientific research... so to bring something like that out in Episode 5 is a bit jarring. It makes sense they'd try the CDC though considering it's based in Atlanta, would be kind of stupid to not even try to get there when all you know is that a mysterious virus is making the dead come back to life as zombies.

And personally, I'm not opposed to the show going off on it's own, if I wanted to see the book panel-by-panel, I'd read the book... I just hope they don't drastically change the tone of the source material, especially this early.

I was not expecting them to depart this heavily from the books this quickly. I think it's safe to say the show is going to be it's own thing.

Comic comparison.

The CDC could just be a replacement for the Prison. A save haven with heavy doors. Stay there for Season two, Merle forms his own group and turns into the Govenor to bust it open by the end.

You got the Vatos around to become more than filler and Atlanta in itself to be a more action packt place than a prison in the middle of nowere.

As for someone knowing about the virus, wow. But i doubt there will be more than "i can´t figure this out".

While i am in spoiler Tags. T-Dawg... T.... Tyrees? If we happen to stay in Atlanta with the CDC as Prison, we might aswell get him as Tyrees.

As far as comic characters --> TV characters go, I think Morales and his wife were probably intended to fill Allen and Donna's roles (except Donna and Morales' wife are nothing alike). I don't think T-Dog is meant to be the Tyreese analogue, though (I'm going to hope that saying that there is a character named Tyreese who appears in the comics doesn't qualify as a spoiler).

Spoilers for this week, what happened in the actual comic, and next week's preview to follow.

But at the same time, we're now veering way the hell off from the comic so aside from Michonne (who Darabont loves and is chomping at the bit to introduce to the show). Like, yeah, we could say that the CDC is the new prison scenario and I'd buy that, but next week's preview has the characters clearly finding out stuff that's happened to the rest of the world. This is heavy shit because seventy-eight issues in on the comic and still we don't know almost anything about the cause of the outbreak or the potential cures.

But I like it. We put most of the first storyarc in the comic to wraps in much the same way except with one major omission in Shane still being alive. They teased a scene similar to what happened in the comic and then deliberately veered away from it, and that was awesome. Jim's actor did some good work with what he was given, and even if I'm now pretty sure that Laurie Holden was the wrong choice to play Andrea (good actress but I really, really do think they needed to cast someone at least ten years younger) the scene with her and Amy was fucking riveting because they played out that tension for so long and did it so effectively.

And then the CDC. Holy shit. What a fascinating new place to put us in at the end of the season. Good character introduction of the scientist guy, and it's amazing what a motley crew the survivors look like now that they're on the move and Rick's in full sheriff gear and the group's been trimmed down a lot. Also I'm now wondering if we'll be seeing Merle again before next week's episode is over. They couldn't really leave his plotline dangling like that with the season over, could they?

This week's episode, despite certain moments of the clumsy writing returning ("IT WAS HER BIRTHDAY"), seriously reaffirmed my faith in the show. Officially better than Rubicon again, probably. Most likely better than Boardwalk but that show also produced a very good episode tonight.

Well, how would he break down the cdc doors? Fireing with a Tank maybe? Now who used a Tank in the comics... hmmmmm.

Preview Spoiler

Well, how would he break down the cdc doors? Fireing with a Tank maybe? Now who used a Tank in the comics... hmmmmm.

Depends on how much they explain, dossent it? That the virus somehow takes over the Brain issent realy rocket sciense. I don´t dislike it and in the end i don´t expect much more than some fluffy background story on the outbreak rather than an explenation or a cure. They just should not turn this into Resident Evil.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I don't see T-Dog as Tyrese, unless they're not going to introduce the character at all, but such a big part of Tyrese's character is his daughter.

Also don't see the CDC functioning as the equivalent of the prison, since I'm pretty sure Darabont himself said they'd get to the prison in late Season 2 or the start of Season 3. My guess is Merle will somehow screw things up for them at the CDC, since it's pretty clear the big shock finale in the book's first story arc isn't going to happen this season (if ever), he's gotta be the Big Bad for the Season 1 finale.

I'm not really digging the CDC stuff, especially the scientist there. Granted, it wasn't a big part of the episode and could prove interesting, but the sooner we get away from science and focus on survival, the better.

As for Michonne... how awesome would her comic introduction be as the opening scene of season 2?

From the way it reads it seems like Darabont is the main force behind the writing anyway. Also if he's released the people who wrote some of the really bad dialogue scenes over the course of this season then more power to him.

• Like 1

And while i am on IGN anyway. Kirkman on why to the CDC.

Robert Kirkman: Yeah. It's a funny thing. I set the comic book in Atlanta for fairly arbitrary reasons. Just because, regionally, it's the largest city where I started the characters out and I thought it would be a good safe zone for them to go to and that's why the comic takes place there. But Frank Darabont [Executive Producer], when he was brought in to the do the show, thought of a very interesting tidbit of information that I wasn't fully aware of and that's the fact that the CDC is stationed in Atlanta, Georgia. I had no clue. And he said "You know if the CDC is there then that's something that could be pretty useful to the show that we should probably explore."

Makes sens to me, so less reasons to get into Resident Evil panic.

That is a bizarre move and I can't see it being good news for season 2. The freelance thing isn't going to go over well with the Writer's Guild either, and the LAST thing TV needs is another dispute there.