AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

About the camp:

I find the idea of Merle, with one hand and, most likely few weapons, loading a shitload of zombies into a moving truck very hard to believe. Not only would that be a feat in itself, but what - did the zombies sit quietly in the back of the truck while Merle drove them to the camp?

I actually don't care, but I did realise something to support the WTF part of Merle loading up zombies (if that's what happened): If you remember, the truck/van had nothing seperating the driver from the back. Meaning nothing keeping the zombies from just eating Merle whilst he drove. :P

Maybe I'm the exception, but when I figured that out I just kind of thought 'heh!' rather than OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK. THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. FUCK THIS SHOW AND ITS WRITERS. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE COMIC.

• Like 2

So, finished episode three, and I totally don't get this talk of Shane as a shallow stereotypical heel type character. I actually find him really sympathetic. Like someone else said, he did, and does, what he thinks needs to be done to keep people alive. He's not Rick, he's not going to risk everything to do the right thing, but he'll do the right thing as much as he can. The way the wife (I can't remember her name at the moment) is treating him is wrong. He's in a fucked up situation, but did what he thought he had to do to save her and Carl.

Also, is it just me, or is Merle's brother one of the Trimmer (Tremor?) Brothers from Smokin' Aces?

One thing about the speculation regarding Mearle doesn't make sense:

Why would he knowingly bring zombies to the camp when he knows his brother is there? I can see him not giving a damn about everyone else, but wouldn't he be more than a little worried about Daryl becoming zombie chow....or a zombie?

Oh, and two things from the comics I bet they won't do in the tv series:

1. Rick losing his hand.

2. The prison storyarc on a scale anywhere near the comics. That's way too many characters dying off.

Hope they do the Governor storyarc eventually. But if they do, I bet it will be toned down a bit. (ie, no Michonne chopping off body parts, including his dick, as revenge for him raping her)

Book spoilers

2. The prison storyarc on a scale anywhere near the comics. That's way too many characters dying off.

I dunno, Kirkman and Darabont have both said no one is safe on the TV show. But I do think the one thing the first four episodes of the show proved is that they're not simply translating the book to television. Shane sure as hell ain't dying this season... and I don't think Rick will lose his hand either, but that's probably because it'll be too damn complicated to do every week. Maybe he'll lose an ear, Reservoir Dogs style, makeup for that would be a lot easier.

Possible spoiler for this season in terms of who doesn't die behind the cut;

Norman Reedus has basically said that Daryl will be back for season two in an interview, which really to me makes the most interesting thing how long the original characters stay on and which ones go the distance along with the obvious long-runners from the TV show. I was surprised twice by how there were no casualties out of the department store group and by T-Dog surviving the return trip to Atlanta, but I'm assuming at least a couple of them will bite the dust by episode six.

For some reason my excitement about this show is getting less and less every week. Don't really know why though. For example, I had ZERO reaction to the events in the last episode.

I know what you mean. The pilot had me thinking "this could be the best new drama of the year" and now at best it might finish third behind Terriers and either Boardwalk Empire or Rubicon.

Put me on the opposite end of the spectrum, this is the ONLY new show I've given a shit about this season. I have six Boardwalk Empires sitting on my DVR because it's been a chore to watch, Rubicon bored me to tears, and let's not even get started on network television.

The only thing that deflates my excitement for TWD is the fact that it won't be on for another year, so this feels like an extended preview rather than an actual series. First season of Breaking Bad felt the same though.

Yeah, other than TWD and No Ordianry Family I just haven't been able to get into anything else this series. Planning on giving Terriers a try at some point. I can appreciate the appeal to some for shows like Boardwalk Empire but they just don't entertain me.

Put me on the opposite end of the spectrum, this is the ONLY new show I've given a shit about this season. I have six Boardwalk Empires sitting on my DVR because it's been a chore to watch, Rubicon bored me to tears, and let's not even get started on network television.

The only thing that deflates my excitement for TWD is the fact that it won't be on for another year, so this feels like an extended preview rather than an actual series. First season of Breaking Bad felt the same though.

I watched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire and thought it was boring. I haven't checked out Rubicon and Terriers yet. I thought TWD was great at the beginning, because I was fucking excited about a Zombie/Horror/Drama show to start. I always want to love horror movies/series, but I get bored easily by them. I guess this is was happenening right now.

I luckily watched Breaking Bad without having to wait between the seasons, but I get what you mean. Breaking Bad is way better than TWD though.

Rubicon was a weird show. The first four episodes are an absolute chore to watch, possibly the fifth too, but the second half is surprisingly strong TV. Like, by the end I was way more interested in what was going on there than in either Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire up to this point but the problem is they really, really failed to put their best foot forward.

Anyway, I'm hoping that things are turning around with The Walking Dead now that we've finally had a) the other shoe drop re: a zombie attack, b) one of the most poorly-written characters bite the dust, c) a good looming threat in Merle Dixon. The preview for episode five was pretty strong, at least. The reason why I put TWD and Boardwalk on about the same level is that I feel like the actual writing and acting is stronger on the latter but the former tends to be more compelling in spite of some really cringeworthy scenes.