Glee

thatblindgeye

Coach Bieste needs to become a regular. I thought the character was just fantastic. Nothing particularly stood out for me to think it was 'great' but I need more Bieste.

And next week = BRITNEY!! This episode has to be awesome... has to.

Regarding the singing and no one noticing - I think that was the point with Empire State of Mind. Unless I'm forgetting another number, the whole point was that only a couple of people (Sunshine and Tennis-balls-mouth-guy) noticed or cared.

All in all, I liked the show, but thought it lacked in one important place - Emma.

Regarding the singing and no one noticing - I think that was the point with Empire State of Mind. Unless I'm forgetting another number, the whole point was that only a couple of people (Sunshine and Tennis-balls-mouth-guy) noticed or cared.

All in all, I liked the show, but thought it lacked in one important place - Emma.

No no, I think we all understood that, what I believe we're talking about is the cliche "I'm walking through the hallway, singing my heart out, while no even looks my way. Oh, now I'm in an empty auditorium, and now I'm standing outside a window of some sort, looking in, can you tell I feel alone yet?" scene starring Rachel near the end of the episode.

Definitely agree about Emma though.

Well, I mean, they spent the episode basically setting the tone for the storyarcs for every member of the Glee club except Brittany (sort of), Kurt, and Mercedes (even Mike Chang has direction now) and introducing four new characters to the mix. Emma can wait a week, I think.

So I'm playing catch-up on this(I'm on the Madonna episode of the first season), and it's got me completely hooked in. High school scandals and musical numbers? Hell to the yes. Speaking of which:

No no, I think we all understood that, what I believe we're talking about is the cliche "I'm walking through the hallway, singing my heart out, while no even looks my way. Oh, now I'm in an empty auditorium, and now I'm standing outside a window of some sort, looking in, can you tell I feel alone yet?" scene starring Rachel near the end of the episode.

Definitely agree about Emma though.

Yes, it's cliche, but it's pretty much how a LOT of musicals are from a certain time period. People not noticing or even paying attention to what's going on until one of the leads bump into them and then involve them in the singing or dancing(whatever's going on at that point.) When you're a singer you really try to feel the music and be involved in the story, which is why in my mind(even though it's cliche) you see them singing in public places with no one noticing at all and taking various cuts because that's what they're imagining in their head.

For instance, the song that Rachel is singing when she's talking about how much it hurts to see Finn and Quinn together and she's belting out in the hallway just a few feet away with them not even noticing. When she's singing the song in glee club she goes back to that particular memory in her head and projects that. I know I'm reading too "deep" into it, but it's a device used in a lot of musicals from a certain time period.

Nice to hear Brittany get some solo stuff, and her saying she needs to sing every solo ever was awesome.

Includes talk of next week's preview:

Interested to see what direction the football team is going to go with both Finn AND Artie on the team. Also judging by next week's preview, I really hope nothing too drastic happens to Kurt's dad

:crying:

While I love the fact that Brittany had more lines, I felt like all the musical numbers were more stand-alone music videos rather than devices to carry along the plot. The most poignant example of this was the Brit/Santana number, which...showed us that they can sing and are attractive, but we already knew that. What I heard from someone else when I presented this was that "well it was all fantasies, no duh it didn't carry along the plot!" To dispute this, in case people (beyond the one person I know) really think this way...Artie singing the Safety Dance. Now thats a fucking fantasy sequence.

No, it was a pretty bad episode if you were looking for anything other than good one-liners. The only musical number that wasn't just a remake of the music video was "Toxic" which would have actually been really good if it wasn't interspersed with fucking Jacob Ben Israel orgasming over the number.

Also, they did a fucking David After Dentist joke in 2010. Really?

Whatever, I thought this episode was awesome, mainly because Britney looks fantastic and her and Santana both have great voices. To be honest, the episodes where they do all one person's stuff never really push any storylines along any way.

• Like 1

I dunno, are we counting "Theatricality" (the Lady Gaga one) or are we limiting it to the Britney and Madonna episodes? Because that one, as uninterested as I was in the musical numbers, was pretty damn plot-relevant.

I wouldn't count Theatricality as being a GaGa episode, mainly since it wasn't dedicated solely to GaGa (they did a couple of Kiss numbers too). It was just marketed as being big because of Poker Face and Bad Romance. I'd say that only Power of Madonna and Britanny/Britney are the only true "homage" episodes so far.

It was a very strong first 20 minutes or so, then it sort of got mired by all the stupid Finn/Rachel and Emma/Will stuff. Terri being back is always good, too. However, I'm more than willing to say that in terms of the performance, I'm a Slave For You is probably ranking up there as one of my favourite ever Glee songs now. Heather Morris can actually sing pretty damn well too, considering they had her mute for the entire first season. I knew she could dance already, but...yeah, it was just awesome.

ETA: Also, Toxic is damn good on its own when you take out the stupid fucking interruptions by fat girl/Jacob.

Edited by Katsuya

• 2 weeks later...

The season thus far has been nice, with a couple episodes being really good to me. In particular, the Grilled Cheesus episode was great I think. I dont believe in God or anything, but what really made the episode for me (outside of the funnier moments) was the scene of Sue being with her sister and the final minutes of the episode with Will asking if Sue was going to report him, with her replying, "no." I love that they have this character that is such a bitch (though it comes off in a good way as a character), but also has this other side to her where you feel bad for her/don't hate her or anything.

Other than that, the Brittany centered episode was great. It was nice seeing her being given more time and show how good of a voice she actually has. I couldnt care that it didnt further any plots or anything. It gave us Spears, some great Brittany lines, and Stamos. Oh, and Brittany looking hot as fuck <_<. The most recent episode was pretty nice as well. Brittany further shows how great of a character she is, and I liked the scene with her and Artie in the hallway. Tina and Mike Cheng as a couple works a lot better than Tina/Artie, and Im glad they are focusing on more than the 'main stars' of the Glee Club.

If there is one episode that Im not looking forward to, it is the Rocky Horror one in a couple weeks, but that's more down to me not liking the movie at all. Hoping it isn't TOO Rocky Horror centered and will have more of a plot/good songs being sung rather than trying to recreate scenes from the movie.

Edited by Vitamin E

• 4 weeks later...

Have to revive this after what I felt was a REALLY GOOD episode last night, which I find happens regularly, when we aren't given 80% Finn/Rachel.

Chris Colfer is fantastic as Kurt. Watching him last night made me feel the anguish and pain. He is just brilliant in this role, and he brings something to all of his scenes that just makes them heartwrenching. If Glee was ever considered a 'drama' I feel he should be given the best supporting actor emmy for a drama. P.S. I DID NOT see that kiss coming. Not at all. That was a jaw-dropping move.

Also... MORE BIESTE!! She is great for the few scenes she actually gets. Now this kiss was more obvious from the discussion between her and Shue.

With the lack of music last night, there was a lot of ways to further some character development, which is always a plus. But I felt that the 'Teenage Dream' cover was the best musical part of the episode last night.

LOVED last nights episode, mainly for the Kurt stuff. I've always felt bad for him in other episodes, but last night it was ten times worse. Actually seeing his response and feelings to all the shit he has to go through rather than him just brushing it off made for great scenes. Echo on not seeing that kiss coming. My jaw dropped and I had to let out a big 'holy shit'.

I found it kind of funny with the whole "why isn't Rachel talking" thing, because I had actually forgotten she was even in the episode. It's nice to have the show focus on the other characters instead of making it about one main person/couple.

Reason I love this show is that it can be quirky when it needs to be, it can be music dedicated when it needs, but it can also deliver some emotional and great serious scenes to further the development.

The Kurt scenes are heartbreaking especially as he seems to be getting a bit of courage and just finds himself shoved back into the locker, it really looked like his spirit broke at that moment, I guess we'll find out in future episodes. Also I was just wondering if this was foreshadowing a suicide attempt or contemplation, I remember the writers saying they wanted to tackle it and it seems like this story will head to dark places as nobody seems to see what is happening to Kurt. I like the subtle things they point out as well such as calling things gay, which people always do but dont realise that perhaps they can be taken in an offensive way by somebody else. I think the show could really help teens of that age being bullied just because of their sexuality, it's good that they are addressing the issue and pointing out how horrid it is and how wrong it is.

That was probably - in terms of story - one of the best episodes of Glee. Music wasn't great; Start Me Up/Livin' on a Prayer was clearly the better mashup IMO, but it was all about Teenage Dream for me. Darren Criss is seriously so dreamy, so hopefully he does end up getting together with Kurt (I'm just glad they didn't have them get together in this episode, nor did they have them even kiss, which would be a very Glee thing to do). As soon as Kurt stormed in the locker room and the two of them were in each other's face I just went "he's going to kiss him" and then it happened...and it sort of still shocked me. Chris Colfer's an amazing actor, it can't be doubted really and right now he's probably the one sole reason to watch Glee more than anything else. Plus, the guy that plays Karofsky was really good too and considering so far he's been pretty much restricted in the role, last night he really shone through. I'm guessing that he obviously has a crush on Kurt and therefore hates himself for it so he takes it out on Kurt - so all the stuff that Kurt was telling him in the locker room that "you're not my type" and insulting him will have just killed him and made the hate even worse.