Glee

thatblindgeye

Dianna Agron's singing was great until she actually took "I'm singing a James Brown song" to mean that she actually had to try to sing it like James Brown. Er, not so much. Amber Riley could have pulled off the shouting, but Agron certainly can't.

Also I definitely wasn't aware that the episodes were out of order. That explains a bit of the clumsiness and I hope they fix it on the DVDs.

Will singing to Sue was painful, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Maybe it's because I don't really have any interest in Funk, but I had absolutely no interest in any of the songs they performed. Musically, this was the weakest episode by far.

EDIT: Jesse needs to get his ass kicked. And man, I totally get why Poor Rachel was a trending topic last night.

Okay, if you didn't tear up a little at that finale, you're a god damn monster. crying.gif

I knew that Vocal Adrenaline won as soon as I saw they were trending, but man. Still a horrible thing to watch. The Journey medley was brilliant though and Somewhere Over The Rainbow was a lovely way to end it. Season 2 can't come soon enough!

I kinda figured that they'd lose, but I twigged fairly quickly on in the judges room argument that Sue was eventually going to come good and save the club. She needs a reason to keep fighting and Will and the Glee Club offered her that.

Oddly, I teared up a little during Don't Stop Believing. Maybe just because they all just looked so happy and like they still had hope. Quinn's mum coming good in the end too was good (plus the Sandra Bullock/Jesse James reference was quite funny), and it was sweet that Quinn wanted Mercedes to come in with her. Overall, it was just such a great episode. Probably one of, if not my favourite episode they've done. Not one song in that was out of place, it was all perfect.

I...kinda didn't like this episode. Many of the large things that happened were afterthoughts for most of the season.

One - Quinn's mom showing up. Who the hell would've remembered who she was if they hadn't put her on the recap? She hasn't been seen since, what? Before the break?

Two - Rachel and Finn kissing and being in love. It just seems so damn random, in the past weeks Rachel has been so upset about Jesse, but now everything's fine because Finn loves her. Even though they haven't really shown a romantic interest in each other since...Rachel made the video with the three boys all chasing her?

Three - Emma and Will kissing. This might have meant something six episodes ago, but Emma hasn't had any screentime in weeks, so again, it just seems random and thrown together.

Those are just the three I can think of right now. The episode definitely had its moments, but stuff like what I put in spoilers gets to me. Oh, and needs more Kurt.

All of the things LD mentioned in spoiler tags can be summed up as "that's Ryan Murphy being Ryan Murphy". Add in that Quinn and Mercedes barely talked to each other all season, and then they were suddenly the closest of friends and Quinn was living with her family. He's the type of guy who abandons and resolves storylines at breakneck speed and you either love it or hate it. The one thing that he did during this episode that didn't even occur to me until about 20 minutes before it happened was to have Shelby adopt Beth.

I don't read show spoilers, but I can already guess that when Glee returns at least one of three things will have taken place between seasons, either Rachel and Finn (or to a lesser extent Artie and Tina) will have broken up again, Will and Emma will be living together or Puck will be with Santana again after dating and then dumping Quinn over the summer. If he stays true to form at least one of the relationships that just started will have to have ended off screen, and the others will all get tweaked heavily in the first 13 episodes even though he's got at least 2 full seasons to play with.

Fucking Glee making me tear up :crying:

Seriously I liked the episode and while I agree with some of the criticsms but Glee isn't just about the story its about the fun of it all and the way the songs fit to what is happening in the episode, and I don't think they have done one this perfectly since the mid season break, each song hit their mark, even if Bohemian Rhapsody alongside the brith was a little contrived at times.

The only thing that annoys me is this episode made me realise how much they have fucked up with Emma, they should have had the character appearing every week for a brief period of time, or at least every other week and have kept the storyline simmering with Will so it seemed slightly better in terms of the cannon, kind of the same with Rachel and Finn. I had no problem with Quinn's mom just showing up as much like the viewers hadn't seen her in sometime neither had Quinn, so it fit better to me.

I loved this episode. Will driving in the car and 'Dont Stop' coming on was a nice touch, and it was incredible seeing it being redone with more of the kids having parts in it. I loved all the songs New Directions did, and Id be a damned liar if I said I didn't start to tear up at certain parts. Seeing Sue get a bit of a soul was really nice to see, and Im glad that it (seems like it) will be Sue and Will just going at eachother for some (semi) fun competition.

Shelby adopting Quinn's daughter was a nice touch, but it makes me wonder whether she will be appearing in Season 2 at all what with what she said to Rachel.

As far as the things that LD mentioned, I really don't mind any of it. Unless you just tuned into the show for the first time last night, you should know that Rachel and Finn had a thing and that Finn still had feelings for her, Emma and Will had a thing and there are still feelings there, and... well, the Quinn's mom thing I don't mind at all. Like Rich said, it felt 'right' that we hadn't seen her mom in so long since Quinn hadn't either. Though it makes me wonder whether her mom wants her back, or just wants someone else to be with her.

Small spoilers regarding Emma for Season Two:

Apparently John Stamos is set to be cast as her new love interest, which I won't exactly mind seeing at all.

Looking back, the Finn "I didn't have a fath..." speech was sooooo touching, and then during the looks inbetween the cast (during the over the rainbow bit), especially the subtle Kurt and Finn look were spectacular, and Sue being there, tearing up, at the end of to Sir with Love, WOW.

Now I'm not the biggest suporter of Glee and hate the song choices at times but this one was pretty awesome. You really can't go wrong with a Journey melody and the Bohemian Rhapsody/birth scene was a bit corny but still worked. The only song I didn't like was the one that the Glee club sang to Will but I can overlook it. Other than that, all of the relationships coming together seemed a bit rushed and sudden, because as someone said Emma hasn't shown up for a couple episodes. I can deal with Finn and Rachel getting together though, that sort of shit happens in high school all the time.

• 1 month later...

Alright, let's update what we know of season two thusfar, since I've been doing it for Chuck and this is the other major network show I like that has a thread and interesting enough news

- Guest stars in season two confirmed thusfar include Javier Bardem of all people (for an Artie-centric episode), Carol Burnett (as Sue's mom in what is ingenious casting), and return engagements for Idina Menzel and (unsurprisingly) Kristen Chenoweth.

- As far as theme episodes and what's coming up musically, there's going to be a Britney Spears episode (which I believe is going to be Brittany's showcase episode, with Heather Morris finally getting a damn solo), a Rocky Horror episode (to some extent, I'm not sure if it's full-on or if it's just the Time Warp or what), and another themed episode that is apparently pretty big since they still haven't cleared the music rights completely. I'd say it's The Beatles but Glee has done "Hello Goodbye" already so who knows.

- And, and this is the most potentially relieving thing for me, it seems like the intent is to pull back on the musical numbers a little bit and make season two "smaller" and more focused on the characters. Mike Chang will also finally get to have real importance to a storyline too since they're apparently intending to build on the end of "Dream On" where Tina chose to start dancing with Mike since she couldn't do it with Artie for obvious reasons.

All of these things sound promising to some degree or another, so I'm hoping Glee can live up to it and not get completely consumed by its own hype.

• 1 month later...

Best parts of last night's premiere were the ones that were fairly out there (Mike and Tina falling in love at "Asian Camp," Rachel proving that she is still an incredibly horrible person, the Jacob Ben-Israel videocast stuff that leaned on the fourth wall). Not really enthused about any of the new characters yet save Sunshine, who had a great voice so naturally she's the one who will only be seen infrequently as a member of Vocal Adrenaline whilst Boring Football Player Guy will probably be in New Directions within three episodes. I did love how they seemingly set up the "okay, the fanbase loves Sue so let's set up someone even worse than her" in Ms. Biest (Beist?), only to reveal that no, Sue is still a way worse person than anyone else on the show can hope to be (Rachel's crackhouse stunt ranks up there, though).

My favorite part was easily the opening five minutes, but this episode there weren't really things that made me cringe the way they did in the first season. Well, except for Rachel's solo. I just hate the "walking down the hallway, singing, but no one notices" scenes. And for the rapping. They really are not good rappers, but at least Will refrained.

As for new characters:

I love the Beast. Football Player can be fun if his purpose is what I think it is going to be. Sunshine had an amazing voice...so yes, of course she has to leave immediately.

I really, really hope the "... kids don't like it when I rap?" gag (which was the funniest moment in the episode) gag is everyone on the show saying they've gotten the message and there won't be anymore numbers dedicated to Will rapping. That stuff was cringeworthy.

I don't know about this episode really, there were some things I liked, like everything with Sunshine, Rachel showing she's a huge bitch and Will and Sue teaming up for a short while. What I really hated was that god awful version of Empire State of Mind. Artie rapping about selling crack is just about the lamest thing I can possibly think of. They should really just stay away from most rap, it never really turns out well.

I thought it was a good episode, I was impressed with how well it covered most of the characters which is something a lot of shows fall short with in new a season. I don't like when they do the musical type stuff with them singing and no one noticing, but I've just kind of accepted that now. None of the songs were that great, but I'm still interested in the show and I look forward to seeing what the main story is this series. I wonder if they'll do Regionals/Nationals/Whatever halfway through the show and then show us the build to the big leagues.