Glee

thatblindgeye

Naya Rivera is a really good singer. One of the best parts of the back nine is that Brittany and especially Santana have gotten some focus (and both Naya Rivera and Heather Morris are being bumped up to main cast for season two, which is awesome).

This whole mother side story seems so pointless now. It's almost like they wanted to go with that... then decided they didn't want to continue the story for the rest of the show/series, so just cancelled it out.

I didn't really have a problem with it in that way, so much as it neither makes sense to do with the story nor does it really work being sung like that.

Glee really needs to stop doing episodes that're centric on one performer (okay, they've only done two, but still). But then the whole popular music part is probably half the reason it's so popular, so I doubt that's going to happen. The GaGa episode wasn't as painful as Madonna and was quite good outside of the music department (though I did love Bad Romance), but still. I've found some of the best songs to be the ones from Musicals.

Also did anyone else feel worse for Finn than Kurt? I mean, I understand both sides of the argument, but it really seemed to me like everyone was completely ignoring the fact that Finn was having to deal with a great amount of change to his lifestyle. He reacted poorly, but he's like... 16 and has had to move out of his home, lose all of his privacy and share a room with a guy that's got a crush on him. Kurt was right to be upset because Finn acted like a cunt, but come on now, it's not like he wasn't within his rights to not feel comfortable with the arrangement.

EDIT: Also, Glee needs to do a cover of He Had It Coming. I love that song.

I think that was the point. No one (Well, except maybe Burt, who should win father of the year for that speech) comes out smelling like roses after that one. Kurt was clearly doing everything he could to make Finn fall for him - he's obviously being very selfish, so even though he gets hatespeech thrown at him, he's still sort of a prick.

Meanwhile, Finn's dealing with losing everything in his life that used to be safe (including Rachel) and so it's easy to see that the smallest thing might set him off...but on the other hand, he went on the homophobic rant. No one comes out looking good after that scene, and I honestly think that it's what the writers had hoped for.

If that was the point, then yeah, it came across fine, but I still feel like Finn was portrayed as the bad guy as opposed to both of them. Homophobia is an awful thing and he was being a cunt about it, but it still felt like they brushed over the fact that Finn had a lot to try and deal with just to give the happy ending. I guess what I'm saying is that I felt like Kurt should have apologised as well, because as was pointed out, he was in the wrong as well.

Plus Kurt can be an annoying queen about stuff <_<

I guess it was about everything been forced on Finn, he doesn't seem to be able to make the decisions in hsi life, he had the pregnancy and Puck things forced on him by Quinn, Rachel was the one who decided (in the end, both messed each other around) that the relationship wasn't going to work, he has had Kurt then actively work to get their parents together which made him feel uncomfortable, then the whole moving in and losing that link to his father and having the whole Kurt situation forced on him again. Let alone Glee was forced on him by Mr Schuh... I guess he finally said "Enough is enough and it's time for a change..." It was just an unfortunate way in which it was expressed by him.

Pretty much. Finn had every right to call Kurt out on how selfish and manipulative he was being, but he had no right to phrase it as he did. It's important that neither Finn nor Kurt were really... I don't know. Intending to be as malicious or selfish as they were, though. They're teenagers, and in the case of Kurt it's not hard to see how growing up as he did would a) make him as jealous and paranoid as he got when he thought he was losing his dad to Finn and b) make him as desperate and obsessive as he got over Finn, despite the fact that he had no chance and he was fairly aware of it.

As for the Rachel/Shelby stuff, I actually felt that as a means of plot resolution, the way Glee did it was fairly original and satisfying because what I like is they didn't turn Vocal Adrenaline, or Shelby and Jesse, into that sort of sports movie cliche of being arrogant, manipulative bastards who just want to win at any cost. What could have turned into a cynical ploy on Vocal Adrenaline's part to steal Rachel or whatever was instead a much more interesting look at a relationship that just can't work because Shelby isn't ready for it yet. Obviously it's partially an easy way to get out of needing to use Shelby as a recurring character if Idina Menzel has Broadway commitments or what-have-you, but I was expecting something much more Easy Way Out from Glee and I didn't get it.

Yeah, when the whole Jesse/Rachel thing started, I was expecting it to turn into "lol fooled you." It turning into a way for Shelby to meet her daughter properly was a great turn of events, and I'm hoping we get more Shelby occassionally appearing. I wouldn't really want her to be a full time character, because that would just mean having Rachel take up most of the attention again, and I like that they are finally giving more air time to the people who were usually in the background.

Nah. In the context of the show, Don't Rain On My Parade. In the context of "songs I wouldn't mind hearing outside of Glee," Dream a Little Dream up until the end of the full version where Kevin McHale tries scat singing and it doesn't really work.

As for the Rachel/Shelby stuff, I actually felt that as a means of plot resolution, the way Glee did it was fairly original and satisfying because what I like is they didn't turn Vocal Adrenaline, or Shelby and Jesse, into that sort of sports movie cliche of being arrogant, manipulative bastards who just want to win at any cost.

I stand corrected. Not in the case of Shelby but Jesse, uh. What.

Sort of a mix of great and "... um, what" this week (sorry, Glee, but you should have listened to the line you gave Mercedes about white people staying the hell away from funk music), but the payoff to the Sue storyline was perfect and made the whole thing worth it. I want footage of Kurt's fourteen and a half minute Celine Dion medley (in French).

Christ. Even though the stuff done in the episode wasn't anything "oh muh godz call the news," I still felt bad for everyone who got shat on in that episode.

I was REALLY hoping Jesse turned on VocAd instead of going along the whole 'fucking with Rachel because she doesnt have enough things fucking with her in her life' route, but it kind of shows that he was hesitant to break her heart. Still, he comes off as a major douche. Actually, the entire VocAd came off as major douches and cunts.

As did Will. I mean, I think Sue deserves to get revenge taken upon her, but even *I* felt bad for her when Will decided to fuck with her emotions. It helps that Will apologized and Sue went back to her old self, though, which is more than I can say for Jesse at the moment.

I didn't really dig Quinn's song this week, but the song fits I guess. Plus it's nice to see her being more on Glee's level rather than thinking she is on some pedestal for cheerleading like the beginning of the season.

I'm just more excited for the season finale next week, if only to see Dont Stop Believing being redone with more Santana and Puck as was mentioned a page back.

Edited by Vitamin E

See, here's the thing. This episode would have made so much more sense in its original place (which was before Theatricality, last week's episode) because it does explain quite a few little things in there. It does seem like there was a whole mess of continuity between the episodes though which...I just don't get how it happened. Quinn and Mercedes being together with Rachel when they were spying on Vocal Adrenaline makes more sense from this week's episode (although those two have grown closer throughout the second half of the series, but especially so this week). Vocal Adrenaline not really being on it throughout their GaGa performances makes sense thanks to this week's episode. Jesse not being in the Glee Club too, which the "previously on Glee" completely got confusing on...yeah, my head started to hurt during the episode a fair bit. Quinn didn't look as pregnant as she did in this episode in the last one though. So, overall - ugh, confusing Glee continuity >_<

Still, I thought it was a good episode. Nowhere near as good as the last two have been, but I think they were far beyond the average Glee episode anyway. I love Dianna Agron's voice, although the song wasn't particularly suited towards her, but...yeah. More of her singing, please. "Loser" was awesome though, plus it's always nice to see Sandy/Terri/Howard around. Terri and Finn's idea to just type in "funk" and assuming that'd lead to a funk song was a great little gag too, especially with what it resulted in.