General Television Thread

Hellfire

I was gonna say possibly that Kevin Bacon show mid-season, but I think that's a mini-series right?

No, it's a full series just with a shortened 15-episode season to work around Bacon's schedule. I was gonna mention that too because it's the next big genre show coming out this season but I have a feeling it's not going to live up to expectations.

And I would say that Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are helped greatly by the fact that they're based on pretty popular source material in general.

Down in the Treme:

God, so many heartbreaking moments. The police busting out the pepper spray and tasers on the protesters really got me. Isabella Rosallini was a strange and pleasant surprise, providing a much-needed moment of victory as she watched her daughter's band play. Also, David Morse's version of John Wayne is hilarious.

Treme:

I wonder how/if Sophia will find out that her mom used a PI to investigate her boyfriend, and man the police harassment of Toni and her family is fucked up. Also, yeah, some heartbreaking stuff - pretty sure Sonny relapsed, and Albert's declaration that this wasn't his last Christmas dinner makes me think it may just be. :(

Though, that scene did yield a pretty funny moment:

"All my favorites. In one meal?

Jeez, House of Lies seems like it was written by a 13 year old boy.

Are you guys just getting that? Yeah, I watched the pilot and jesus, it is awful. Hampered by the bad timing of "rich dudes doing rich dude stuff" in the midst of Occupy and things of that sort, but they somehow manage to make Ben Schwartz, Don Cheadle, and Kristen Bell unlikable in 30 minutes time, which is probably bumfuck impossible.

It aired a few weeks back, but I was saving a few to try and get a feel for it. After 5 minutes I thought it was charming, and nice to see them portraying the son as transgender and trying to be both understanding and concerned for his welfare at school. After 20 minutes and the "every woman is basically going to be a lesbian or ultra okay with going to a nudie bar" I was rolling my eyes, after the show was over I was depressed that a show could be so critically missing the point on people's financial concerns and instead obsessed with tits and money.

Making me dislike Kristen's character was the straw that broke the camel's back on me not watching episode two. How you can make her uninentionally dislikeable is beyond me.

Man, the kid who plays Margaret's son on Boardwalk is not good.

I don't think he's terrible, but he's nothing to write home about.

I watched this week's episode last night. It wasn't the best of the season, but it was a very welcome break from what's been the driving theme.

I thought that kid really sucked. But to be fair, as do most child actors. Except for Miss Sally Draper of course, who is better than many grown-ups.

He was great in 3rd Rock From the Sun! And Angels in the Outfield! And 10 Things I Hate About You!

Wait, were you saying, "You should see his work," because he was good or because he was bad?