General Television Thread

Hellfire

Down in the Treme, something three seasons in the making:

Actual footage of an actual Eyehategod show! Took long enough. Also, seems like Albert's falling for LaDonna - that could be interesting.

I was almost certain Sonny's relapse was gonna kill him. Glad it didn't. And I just now caught on to the fact that Colson's informing on the NOPD to the FBI, isn't he?

All of that certainly seems to be the case. Man, Antoine's story in this episode had me in tears. Over three seasons, one of the best parts of the show seems to be his redemption story, so to speak.

That's probably one of my favourite things about Treme.

From a shiftless musician to a school teacher, he's evolved a lot as a character over 3 seasons. Watching Antoine go around trying to find some program - anything - to help that girl learn how to read and being stonewalled at every corner? That's heartbreaking.

So he takes responsibility for her education upon himself. I just love that scene of the two of them watching the professor work with the street musicians. Oh, and I sooooooo hope this opera comes to fruition for Davis.

Did you catch the weird fantasy one with the hill people? That was such an amazing trainwreck. Apparently Louis CK said in an interview with Jimmy Fallon that there was a sketch they gave him that he fucking hated and wanted to do anyway because he wanted to do something that would make him uncomfortable.

The last two sketches I decidedly liked, though. Particularly the bar one.

So, I haven't posted in here in a while.

I tried to get into Parks a while ago but wasn't too fond of it. After hearing the praise for it here and that it supposedly gets better starting with Season 2, I gave it another chance. It does get better. I'm loving it so far. So many of the characters are just magnificent.

My friends love it so I decided to watch The Walking Dead, which is pretty good and better than I expected. It's strange to think Andrew Lincoln is the same guy from Teachers.

Again at the behest of my friends I'm watching The League. We smashed through the first 5 episodes at a mate's house last night and it's great. I can't believe I hadn't even heard of it before. After criticising American comedies for the longest time I've discovered a good 7 or 8 that I love over the past few years.

Next I need to catch up with Louie. Maybe I should finish Six Feet Under too. I hate just leaving things. I also need to finish Chuck.

Is Louis CK always like that sort of humour? Because a lot of people seem to rate him, but that just seemed really bog standard like "oh hey, I'm Abe Lincoln and doing things Abe Lincoln wouldn't do and referencing future points of my own history!".

You know, after clicking on the link you could have just clicked on a related video or searched his name and answered that question yourself.

• Like 1

The Lincoln material mostly isn't indicative of his actual material except for the first scene, probably. The joke is more on how faithfully they managed to recreate CK's actual show with him playing basically himself as Lincoln.

Did you catch the weird fantasy one with the hill people? That was such an amazing trainwreck. Apparently Louis CK said in an interview with Jimmy Fallon that there was a sketch they gave him that he fucking hated and wanted to do anyway because he wanted to do something that would make him uncomfortable.

The last two sketches I decidedly liked, though. Particularly the bar one.

I did not catch the hill people sketch. I need to check it out.

The hotel sketch was the bit that was halfway through when I tuned in. It was a pretty typical "end of the show" SNL sketch. Fun was whatever on their last song. I liked them until that. The bar sketch was indeed great, for 2 specific reasons: 1) The general concept of being so excited over having literally no connection at all. 2) Louis CK's performance. That was pitch perfect and totally made up for the Actress I Don't Know totally overdoing it in more typical SNL fashion. Keenan Thompson's reaction shots were good too, I guess.

I wish I'd seen more of it.

Is Louis CK always like that sort of humour? Because a lot of people seem to rate him, but that just seemed really bog standard like "oh hey, I'm Abe Lincoln and doing things Abe Lincoln wouldn't do and referencing future points of my own history!".

The basic joke in that Lincoln sketch is that they put Abraham Lincoln into the situations and style of Louie. Louie itself is not a show that relies on referential humor.

As always in an election year, SNL has been really good this year. Even with losing Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg, the show has restocked it's bench really well and last year's featured players are really stepping up since becoming regulars. Jay Pharoah's Obama impression is miles above Fred Armisen's. All of the debate parody's have been really fun and the season premier with Seth MacFarlane was the best episode I have seen in a long time from SNL.

But the Lincoln stuff with Louis CK was really good, down to the details with stuff like Hannibal Hamlin being listed as the "First Assistant Director" and Andrew Johnson as the "Second Assistant Director."

Cheers GoGo and Josh, might check some of his shows out on Netflix then. Been wanting to watch a whole show but was worried it'd be just like that sketch and I wasn't a big fan of it. Worth a go though.

Yeah. Louie's an interesting show and might take a little bit to get into/get acclimated to because it's not like most other TV comedies out there, but I think he's pretty great.

The clip in my sig for the next day is one of my favorite bits from the first season.

My God. That episode of Boardwalk Empire...

That last scene. I was stunned, I did not see that explosion coming. I thought that maybe Gyp would show up and shoot at Nucky or something, but GOOD LORD. I cannot wait to see the fallout from this and the preview for next week looks like it's going to be getting (even more) crazy.

I am loving Van Alden slowly turning into a gangster. That iron scene, I was just waiting for him to smack the obnoxious guy. Burning him was so much better. He's coming back around to being one of the high points for every episode for me. I want to see more bootlegger Van Alden.

James Cromwell is awesome. As always.

I also liked Gillian's role in everything and I like seeing her match up against Nucky.

I'm interested in seeing more Al Capone, and it looks like they're getting ready to write off Torrio with the scenes this episode.

And I still don't give any shit about Margaret. Seriously, I don't think I've ever disliked any character more than hers. She's just so ugh.

Homeland is getting odd this season. I like it, but outside of capturing Nazir, I'm not sure where else they can move beyond this season, because Carrie and Brodie are so important to the show, they can't really write either out. I'm hoping they've got something up their sleeves, but it feels like they're writing themselves into a corner with Brodie in particular.