General Television Thread

Hellfire

Yeah, I was going to say "but those shows that are cancelled after two episodes have no critical support anyway and nobody likes them" and then I remembered Lonestar.

Patton Oswalt did a random roles for AV Club. It's interesting, I thought. Talks about some of the first roles he had and stuff like that.

EDIT: Also holy shit his story about Wesley Snipes and Blade: Trinity is amazing.

Yeah, Terriers concluded somewhat ok. Now it´s a bid hard to do the same with a banana republic that has nukes but maybe they can do something in the editing room.

I agree on the cancelations though. I think stuff like the wire was only kept around because the HBO Boss liked it. At least for the later Seasons they never considered it profitable.

Terriers should've been given a second season, definitely. :(

Boardwalk Empire;

And there goes Owen Sleater. Wow.

Yeah, I'd been expecting Owen to go, but I actually expected it to be more or less at Nucky's hands. When I saw the box, I assumed there would be a body or parts of one, but did not think it would be him.

Also, RICHARD KISSED A GIRL!

Cloudy, I'll probably be checking out this week's Treme tomorrow or Wednesday. One advantage of being sick is catching up on TV shows at normal hours.

So The AV Club's commenters decided to start an awards thing for various things, developing a full-on website for people to submit ballots on. One particular category was of real interest to me; it asked for the best 25 episodes of TV this year. It took me a while to compile, and I still did it pretty hastily because it was more or less at the end of my work day :shifty:

In any case, from memory here's what I think I went with, ordered by series, from most episodes included to least (and only about four or five shows had multiple episodes. Anything starred is starred because I know for sure I had it in the top ten.

Mad Men:

"Far Away Places" *

"The Other Woman" *

"Signal 30"

"Commissions and Fees"

Breaking Bad:

"Dead Freight" *

"Gliding Over All"

"Say My Name"

Community:

"Basic Lupine Urology" *

"Digital Estate Planning"

Parks and Recreation:

"The Debate"

"Win, Lose, or Draw"

Louie:

"Late Show Part 2"

"Late Show Part 3" *

Game of Thrones:

"The Ghosts of Harrenhal"

"Blackwater" *

The L.A. Complex:

"Stay"

Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23:

"Love and Monsters"

Boardwalk Empire:

"Sunday Best" *

Survivor:

"Dead Man Walking"

The Legend of Korra:

"And the Winner Is..."

Homeland:

"Beirut is Back"

Veep:

"Frozen Yoghurt"

Treme:

"Don't You Leave Me Here"

Chuck:

"Chuck vs. The Goodbye" *

The Walking Dead:

"Seed"

I think I can say with some certainty that my #1 was "Far Away Places" and my #2 was "Blackwater." 3 - 5 was most likely "Chuck vs. The Goodbye," "Basic Lupine Urology," and "Dead Freight" in some order.

Got around to Treme:

Gigi's. :(

Also, seems like that was the break-up for Davis and Annie. I really want both of them to find someone and be happy; Davis seems happiest with Janette, and Annie.. I dunno.

Also, speaking of AV Club comments, something I've been wondering about: what's the deal with commenters hating on Lucia Micarelli's (Annie's) singing voice? Seems like she's a perfectly fine singer to me, but in the comments for Treme reviews there's almost always a handful of people griping about how they never want to hear her sing again.

Got around to Treme:

Gigi's. :(

Also, seems like that was the break-up for Davis and Annie. I really want both of them to find someone and be happy; Davis seems happiest with Janette, and Annie.. I dunno.

So. Many. Heartbreaks. I really needed This Little Light of Mine by the time it came around. Great to see Toni and Terry together too. A lot of really tremendous quiet and/or simple scenes this week. Leaving the busy upscale restaurant to go home to no food and loneliness was striking, as was the final scene. Goddamn I love this show.

So Parks & Rec was decent in the first season, pretty good to great in the second season and now that Rob Lowe and Adam Scott are here it's fantastic. I'm not even annoyed I didn't give it a chance before because now I have it all to catch up on! Hurrah.

Weeds, Dead Like Me, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, How To Make It In America. Are any of those shows worth watching? I'm looking for something new to start.

Dead Like Me is worth watching solely for Mandy Patinkin. Though you should also catch the movie ... or two-hour-long season 3 mini-series, as it was originally aired. At least I think it was actually aired as two episodes, I'm not entirely sure. Whatever.

Weeds, Dead Like Me, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, How To Make It In America. Are any of those shows worth watching? I'm looking for something new to start.

Can't speak for the others, but Dead Like Me is wonderfully fun (though you'll get zero closure from any of it), and Callum Blue is in his element in it. Six Feet Under is probably one of my favourite shows ever. It's a slow burner for a lot of people, so keep going (I hate saying that), but for me it was charming from the offset.