General Television Thread

Hellfire

I finally got around to starting GLOW season 3, watched the first two episodes.

Spoiler

Really bold choice starting the season with the Challenger disaster. Made for a bizarre vibe to the whole episode but it was a solid reintroduction to everyone.

Second episode felt much more like what GLOW usually is. Really endearing scenes and stories for several major characters, I loved Arthie & Yolanda's little fight and make-up, and the hot tub scene with Sam and Ruth had me squirming on behalf of both of them, then Tamé coming in to break the tension worked perfectly.

I love this show. And I still hate Debbie (in a good way).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam said:

I finally got around to starting GLOW season 3, watched the first two episodes.

Hide contents

Really bold choice starting the season with the Challenger disaster. Made for a bizarre vibe to the whole episode but it was a solid reintroduction to everyone.

Second episode felt much more like what GLOW usually is. Really endearing scenes and stories for several major characters, I loved Arthie & Yolanda's little fight and make-up, and the hot tub scene with Sam and Ruth had me squirming on behalf of both of them, then Tamé coming in to break the tension worked perfectly.

I love this show. And I still hate Debbie (in a good way).

Little bit thrown by this - you hate her in a good way? I totally feel for her.

Also, I really enjoyed State of the Union starring Rosamund Pyke and Chris O'Dowd. Ten min episodes. Mostly all set in a pub. Very theatrical in its structure, but the acting is superb, as is its observations on relationships. I thought it was really neatly done and made me want more ten minute episode series in my life. I think it was originally commissioned for Sundance TV, so I hope they gamble on some more stuff now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Hide contents

Little bit thrown by this - you hate her in a good way? I totally feel for her.

Spoiler

Yeah, her whole attitude generally gets on my nerves and the whole get drunk, break Ruth's leg thing in S2 was dreadful. She's a really complex character and Betty Gilpin is doing a brilliant job, but she's not a character I'm really rooting for usually.

That said, I've now seen the following episode with the body insecurities and bulimia and she was very relatable and sympathetic in that one. Like I said, a very complex character and that was a stand-out moment for her. In general I find myself mainly wanting to root for Ruth and Sam but not Debbie. Have to see how I feel when the rest of this season pans out.

Started watching Black-ish, binged season 1 in like 2 days. So much fun. Then I realized that it has two spin-offs, and 4 more seasons of the main show. This seems daunting.

Also finally started season 3 of 30 Rock, after like 7 years of leaving it at the end of season 2. Hilarious all the way through. 

I think I stopped watching Black-ish around season 3. I should probably get back into it and check the spinoffs out as well.

Also 30 Rock just gets better as it goes on. I need to rewatch it.

My favorite running gag from 30 Rock is (spoilering this for Ben's benefit)

Spoiler

The insinuation that Kenneth is some sort of immortal being.

"Who said I've been alive forever?!"

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

I think I stopped watching Black-ish around season 3. I should probably get back into it and check the spinoffs out as well.

Also 30 Rock just gets better as it goes on. I need to rewatch it.

My favorite running gag from 30 Rock is (spoilering this for Ben's benefit)

Reveal hidden contents

The weird thing for Black-ish is that there's something that stopped me from watching the first season's run. Having watching watched the first season now, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. 

• Like 1

Season 1, imo, had the same problems a lot of shows do with their first season. It's not a fully-formed idea yet, and there's a lot of struggling to find the proper footing in terms of how certain characters are written, etc.

That's not to say season 1 was bad by any stretch of the imagination, it just had growing pains like any other show does. 

• Like 1

I was reading an article on Shane Gillis’ SNL firing and in the comments section it pretty much degenerated into an argument on whether or not Melissa Villasenor should be fired for racist tweets she put out years before she joined the cast.  She deleted the tweets and SNL never commented.

However it didn’t take long to realize that a lot of the people calling for her firing didn’t actually have any problem with the content of her tweets and just wanted her fired because they think she’s getting a pass due to being a Hispanic woman instead of a white guy.