General Television Thread

Hellfire

The show kind of goes off the rails badly the whole second season. Abu Nazir was just the worst offender of it all. The entire second season sort of just does the opposite of what made season 1 so good. The first season was filled with nuance, slow pacing, patience, and allowing us to keep a distance from Brody. Second season is just way to over the top.

I had some sense of hope for the 12 Monkeys TV show... then I learned that the Terra Nova writers are behind it. One less show to watch.

Not quite true. They were writers on the staff but they didn't run the show so your issues with the show have very little (if not nothing) to do with them.

I mean, it's still going to be on Syfy so it's still best to be cautious but not because of the writers.

Yeah, and most have actually not been too bad, actually. Ali's daughter and the Hart of Dixie guy both looked like they were having a blast, at least, and Maggie Q and the Vampire Diaries lady laughed a lot. Kevin McHale was still the best, though. Him putting on a British accent voluntarily was great.

EDIT: Speaking of WLIIA, I really hate that they don't have the Irish Drinking Song game anymore. That was one of the best, even though it usually boiled down to Colin's baldness or Drew Carey's sex life. And the Sideways Scene game is the worst.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

Oh yeah, The Newsroom was renewed for another season. Not surprised, especially with how great this season has been. I was a fan of the first season (still not quite sure how it's so bad that the internet reveled in making fun of it but I digress) but the introduction of some fictional events to go along with the real ones has made the show better.

I want to see Hoedown come back at least once. Sideways scene can kiss my ass.

EDIT: I've enjoyed it from the start, yet somehow I can't believe the League is still around, 5th season started yesterday! :D

Been trying to get a bit more into some British TV lately and I just finished Luther, which I've championed a bit here before. Really, really enjoyed it overall. It is a bit over the top at times, and there's more high-profile murders in London in a few years than I think there ever has been, but some great work from Idris Elba makes the whole thing well worth watching. If you embrace it, it turns out to be a bit brilliant.

Also finished the third season of The Thick of It. It's marvellous. Malcolm Tucker is easily in the top 3 of my favourite TV characters ever created. And it's one of my favourites of all time. It's so funny and wonderfully British. Looking forward to seeing the last season. Also means I'll probably start watching Veep soon.

Want to watch Top of the Lake, too. And the new TV show with Cillian Murphey about gangsters in Birmingham in the 20's starts next week.

I liked the Newsroom's first season, but I understood why people didn't. It was the same old Sorkin characters, combined with a lot of hindsight being 20/20.

I understand those points but what I don't get is why it became the poster child for hate-watching when it wasn't even half as bad as some of the bullshit being aired.