General Television Thread

Hellfire

So, did anyone see Intelligence last week? My parents watched and I sat down through a bit of it. It's essentially Chuck, if Chuck was a super serious crime procedural. I guess the premiere got something like eighty jillion viewers (16.49 actually I think), which makes me sad. Hopefully that's just a premiere ratings bump and from people checking it out because "lady from CSI" is in it.

Man, HBO is cleaning house. I care about this much less than Boardwalk's fifth season being its last. It should be six seasons and out dammit :angry:

True Detective was great. I can't believe we're getting McConaughey, a guy who very well may win the Oscar for Best Actor this year, on television. Really excited for who they could pull in for upcoming seasons.

Anyone catch True Detective? I thought it was a little slow but promising and dark as hell. I'll definitely be giving it another go next week. I did get a little confused, though. I probably just wasn't paying attention closely or got lost in the put-on Texas drawl but...

What is the connection between the ritual murder victim and the missing little girl they are investigating?

I believe Rust said "Call it intuition".

True Detective was great, IMO. The shots were beautiful, the premise is interesting, Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConauhey (I can never spell it right) had great chemistry together, the scenes in the car were awesome. I can't wait for next episode.

Shameless was also great. Emmy Rossum was awesome, Macy is still gold as Frank, Joan Cusack is just killing me like always. Heck, if there's one thing that makes this season even more awesome than the previous, it's that Steve Howey looks like he's about to get more screen time. If that's not a plus, what is? Don't believe Ticklez, remember, he hates everything good. He's like the anti-Skummy.

EDIT: Actually, serious question. How can HBO afford McConaughey to be in a series? He's a way bigger star than the likes of Woody Harrelson or Steve Buscemi. From what I know, McConaughey is the type that even those that barely watch movies know. I'm probably just romanticizing this, though.

Edited by Benkid

Anyone catch True Detective? I thought it was a little slow but promising and dark as hell. I'll definitely be giving it another go next week. I did get a little confused, though. I probably just wasn't paying attention closely or got lost in the put-on Texas drawl but...

What is the connection between the ritual murder victim and the missing little girl they are investigating?

EDIT: Actually, serious question. How can HBO afford McConaughey to be in a series? He's a way bigger star than the likes of Woody Harrelson or Steve Buscemi. From what I know, McConaughey is the type that even those that barely watch movies know. I'm probably just romanticizing this, though.
I think you're underestimating the amount of money that HBO has, especially considering McConaughey isn't even going to be the biggest star on the network soon (The Rock's pilot is going to get picked up, just a matter of time). Also, keep in mind that McConaughey hadn't been doing a whole lot before this year so his price was probably lower than you'd think.

All of that said, actors aren't dumb. They realize that cable TV is where the quality storytelling is going on right now and they want to be apart of it so they'll make some concessions to make that happen that they otherwise wouldn't.

By my own admission I'm really out of the loop in film by a few years, but last I heard of Matthew McConaughey he was the guy who did really shit romantic comedies. What the heck suddenly changed to make him a big star?

The romantic comedies made him a big star. He's just since started taking better roles and showing off his acting chops lately.

• Like 1