General Television Thread

Hellfire

In ancient reality TV news, I just watched the first season of The Amazing Race. Much like every season of the show that I've actually followed as it airs, the least compelling team that could possibly win won. Blergh.

I think the problem with the show structurally is that the early legs are incredibly fun but then by the end the odds are the team you like is gone so who even cares?

I feel the same way about this show and survivor,but I actually manage to watch a full season of this,and I really enjoyed last season where the gay couple won,and this season with the double episode finale I watched the second hour even though the Afghanimals finished in fourth.

This past season was so fucking tough. I stopped watching after the Afghanimals were out, and I didn't even like the Afghanimals that much (they try way too hard to be wacky. They desperately want to be a team like Kevin and Drew in season 1 and Mark and Bopper a couple seasons ago). The problem was all the teams who could have been both entertaining and likable winners were eliminated in the middle. I mean, Jason and Amy were so boring and Travis and Nicole were so holier-than-thou that my favorite team in the final leg was Tim and Marie, and Marie was pretty much the villain for most of the season.

Right now my plan for the next month is to try to watch the seasons I haven't seen with people who are going to be on the upcoming All-Stars season so I can get a feel for all of them. My initial read on the cast list is that there are way too many over-the-top wacky teams.

I keep meaning to ask this as I watch through The Office again. What's the deal with the crazy amounts of hour long episodes that randomly pop up one season? I swear there's like, 4 or 5 hour long episodes in a row. Was there a reason for that? Just sheer popularity and lack of other programming?

I think probably that, yes. I remember there were a lot of one-hour episodes during season 4, which was probably around the show's peak of popularity.

• Admin
Dodgy dealers Del Boy and Rodney Trotter are to return to British TV screens for the first time in more than 10 years, the BBC has confirmed.
The much-loved south Londoners, played by David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst, will feature in "a short Only Fools and Horses sketch" for this year's Sport Relief in March, it said.
The show, which ran from 1981-2003, was regularly voted Britain's best sitcom.
It was created by writer John Sullivan, who died aged 64 in 2011.
A BBC spokeswoman said: "There are plans afoot for a short Only Fools and Horses sketch for Sport Relief.
"Further details will be announced in the build up to the appeal night on March 21."
Seven series of the programme were made, between 1981-1991, which were followed by a number of Christmas specials.
The 1996 Christmas special Time On Our Hands, in which Del Boy came good on his ambition to turn the Peckham brothers into millionaires, was seen by more than 24 million people.
The new sketch will be the show's first outing since 2003 Christmas special, Sleepless in Peckham.

Between that and returning Open All Hours, I think the BBC is finally admitting that it can't do a decent new half hour comedy show any more. Instead we'll get revivals of classic shows and crap like Citizen Khan, Miranda, Not Going Out, and... eurgh... Mrs Brown's Boys.

That entire episode may have been my favourite of the series. Hilarious, clever without being too ridiculous, and just generally showing the great chemistry that the show's cast shares. Loving Mary, and hoping she'll be in it for a good long while. Pure speculation below, but potential spoiler to those who haven't seen any of series three yet.

I'm wondering if Moriarty wasn't really the guy we've seen kill himself and that the mysterious man we've seen watching Watson is the real Moriarty who was using someone else.