General Television Thread

Hellfire

Please can someone recommend me some new shows to watch/binge through? Currently got Orange is the New Black and Orphan Black on the go. Banshee too.

Anything else? I've heard good things about Sons of Anarchy?

Please can someone recommend me some new shows to watch/binge through? Currently got Orange is the New Black and Orphan Black on the go. Banshee too.

Anything else? I've heard good things about Sons of Anarchy?

How new is new? If SoA is considered new, then Boardwalk Empire is. It's the bestest. There's also The Newsroom.

If not, True Detective is a great one, as is Sleepy Hollow. Masters of Sex too.

Correct. Fargo. My favorite moment this week:

The acting Bob Odenkirk does when Bill starts realizing how completely and totally wrong he's been about Lester the whole time is top-notch stuff.

• Like 1

The Newsroom is alright, it had a decent Season 1 and an even better Season 2, and you'll be doing it just in time for GoT to finish and Newsroom to start Season 3 in the summer.

Looking over other stuff I watch, there's new shows in Silicon Valley and Agents of SHIELD (which expect everyone watches), which got real good in the second half of its first season, The Goldbergs is alright for some fun stuff, and shit how did I forget Shameless I'll never know. The first two seasons of Shameless are especially great.

The Newsroom actually has excellent female characters.

Great characters, stupid stupid decisions and way they behave.

Eh, I'd say that's not an attribute specific to the female characters, but they do seem to get more of the brunt, yes.

I wouldn't really call The Newsroom bland. Even though I didn't think very much of season 1, it wasn't bland. Season 2 was miles better, though.

The Newsroom actually has excellent female characters.

Great characters, stupid stupid decisions and way they behave.

Eh, I'd say that's not an attribute specific to the female characters, but they do seem to get more of the brunt, yes.

I'd say it's fairly balanced, actually. Jeff Daniels' and Thomas Sadowski's characters are also a little on the crazy and dumb side, Will specifically, and he's the star. He just has to always look in control, it's a part of his character, to always pretend to be in control but he never actually is.

One of the best opening scenes in television history from the Newsroom, I got sidetracked with season 2 but I'll reconnect this Monday and Tuesday.

Watching a show I dvr'd this week and there was an ad for last weeks Big Bang Theory..."Did you take a marijuana?!"

Geez...no one fucking talks like that! That show is so bad

Watching a show I dvr'd this week and there was an ad for last weeks Big Bang Theory..."Did you take a marijuana?!"

But they're NERDZ man get it???

<_<

That's why I hate that people give it a pass as "background TV" or "easy TV" or whatever the hell they call it. It's quite an insult to shows that are actually like those, and don't require you to know everything about it (you guys know I'm talking about The Goldbergs here).

But they're NERDZ man get it???

<_<

This argument can be made for a good portion of dialogue in entertainment. People don't talk like how Quentin Tarantino or Kevin Smith write either, but it entertains people.

• Like 1

The issue in this case isn't really the dialogue, it's the characterization. I don't think anybody is arguing that people on TV talk like normal people but they do sound like real people, not a caricature based on outdated stereotypes.

• Like 1