General Television Thread

Hellfire

CBS has scheduled two CSI spin-off whatevers and still hasn't found room in the schedule for Battle Creek. Fuck you, CBS!

What's the second spin off?

EDIT: should clarify I know of CSI: Cyber

Edited by EddieG

I don't think it will. Rumour is that CBS asked them to tweek and reshoot the pilot and the creators refused. Not a great sign.

Not entirely true. The sticking point wasn't re-shooting the pilot but rather that there wasn't a guarantee that even if they re-shot it that it would be picked up and the studio (20th Century Fox) wasn't having that. Which, from the studio's perspective, makes sense. Why put more money into something that could ultimately still be passed on?

And again, CBS had the leverage to walk away in that situation because they're not as desperate as the other networks. If that standstill happened at ABC, we'd be hearing about a full series order already. And still might because HIMYD is a spinoff of one the decades premiere sitcoms and they're in dire need of any sort of a hit taht's not named Modern Family.

And again, CBS had the leverage to walk away in that situation because they're not as desperate as the other networks.

Agreed with everything you said except for this. CBS is not in a fantastic place. The only guaranteed success they have next season is Big Bang Theory. We Are the Millers did good without BBT but probably quarter/third of their audience was dependant on BBT, HIMYM is gone, Two and a Half Minute has a big price tag and is ending. Moms, Mike and Molly, 2 Broke Girls... they do good in the ratings, but Monday has now lost HIMYM, which was a huge ratings success. I do think that other networks are in worst positions, but CBS probably will be feeling desperate same time next year.

You also have to take into consideration that CBS has roughly six billion procedurals that still do decent enough in the ratings. Shit like CSI peaked years ago, but it's still doing good enough to warrant a renewal, another spinoff, blah blah blah. NCIS was up there as a ratings leader just a year or two back too.

Edited by Cloudy Rocker

Yeah, I was referring more to their overall slate of programming than just comedy. There's also the fact that their new NFL deal will soften any blow they suffer from decreasing their comedy output.

Overall slate doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. You can't have six nights of procedural dramas. You need variety on your network. CBS doesn't need two nights of comedy (the NFL deal gives them 1.5 in the fall), but they need a solid block of comedy shows on at least one night and right now they've got two solid performers and too many question marks - will Moms do well in the post TBT theory, can the Millers keep the momentum from Season 1, how will the new pilots do and what is the basement for the lowering performing returning CBS comedies. If HIMYD was a good pilot with potential, CBS would have picked it up no questions asked because it likely was a guaranteed ratings success comparatively. Clearly there was problems with the pilot, they didn't think it would be successful as it was envisioned, they expressed their concerns and both parties walked away.

Overall slate doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. You can't have six nights of procedural dramas. You need variety on your network. CBS doesn't need two nights of comedy (the NFL deal gives them 1.5 in the fall),

I thought you were referring to the NFL providing them with comedy at first, and I was going to say "Only when the Jets are on."

Overall slate doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. You can't have six nights of procedural dramas. You need variety on your network. CBS doesn't need two nights of comedy (the NFL deal gives them 1.5 in the fall),

I thought you were referring to the NFL providing them with comedy at first, and I was going to say "Only when the Jets are on."

Now this makes me want a Jim Nantz/Phil Simms buddy comedy where they host a AM talk-radio show called "Hello, Friends" with Sean Hayes as their uptight station manager and Delayney Williams as the gruff, but lovable owner of the local watering hole they frequent.

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah