General Television Thread

Hellfire

Because the show still gets good ratings (not as great as they used to be, but they're still good) and there's no good reason not to renew it.

And there's the rub. Why keep airing a show that may be on a downward trend when you could try something fresh that might get better ratings because it has a potential wider audience (people will always prefer to watch a show from the beginning than season eight or whatever House is on now), cost less to produce per season (because I assure you, the wages for a cast of several seasons is significantly higher than a season one show) and therefore also gain better advertisement rates based on better ratings?

If it were something like Firefly or Studio 60, where the writers gave it a good dropping off point but the network cancelled it, then fair enough, blame the network, but don't blame the network when the writers are too bothered about making another season's worth of money to give the fans a good dropping off episode from an artistic standpoint.

I loved FlashForward, but I blame the writers for being too stupid to properly end it after one season rather than the network for cancelling a show I enjoyed.

Because the show still gets good ratings (not as great as they used to be, but they're still good) and there's no good reason not to renew it.

That still doesn't make it the networks responsibility to prepare for a possible cancellation. It's the producers that should realise that the show has a chance of not making it to another series and prepare for that with an ending that would be a suitable one for the show. They should realise TV is a fast moving business. And there's plenty of reasons not to renew it, I'm sure the entire cast takes away a hefty paycheck per series, not to mention how much each episode costs to make. This especially becomes a big deal when the ratings probably aren't bringing in as much as they'd like for the cost.

In no way is it the networks fault if the show ends poorly, it's the creative types. The network is going to do what they're going to do, when the producers etc. heard there might not be another season, they should have tried to find a way to wrap things up nicely, just in case. Instead they decided to take their chances. And if it doesn't get renewed, it's going to be their fault if the fans are left disappointed.

They could stand to learn from Chuck a little. Every season could potentially be the last, so they always go out on a strong note. This usually leads to two big storylines a season, but at least when they do that, it keeps them prepared. If the show were to end that season or not get picked up for the additional episodes, there's an ending the fans could be happy with almost every time.

I think it's a bit unfair to expect a show like House to follow the same guidelines as a show like Chuck. Chuck is perennially in hot water because of ratings and it would be dumb for them to plan a season with the idea that they'll definitely have another season (though supposedly this season ends on a cliffhanger so so much for that). And while yes, House's ratings have dipped in recent years, it's still doing pretty damn good for the timeslot it's in and would be kind of dumb for the producers to just flat out expect the show to end every year and plan their storylines accordingly. Just because Chuck doesn't have the luxury of having a reasonable expectation that there will be a next season, doesn't mean that House should follow suit.

I will say that it's also unfair to place the blame on the network because it really isn't their job to make sure any show ends favorably for the fans. It's just a shit situation where nobody's really at fault, it's just the way things work sometimes.

Didn't realize how much I missed Treme until it came back. Which kind of sums Treme up and why it didn't make my top fifteen after being out of my mind for half a year.

I am twenty minutes into The Wire and this thing is already awesome. Plenty of stories been set up already, and it's great to see a crime show that doesn't just focus on ridiculous ideas of forensics, incredibly offensive stereotypes and every kind of cop cliché under the sun.

So I finally decided to dump Glee. Season two has ranged from boring and self-aggrandizing to downright offensive and insulting. I'm really starting to cut my losses on TV shows now, I've wasted too much time watching crap because I've invested too much time into it to give up. I gave up on watching The Simpsons last week too, though I doubt that one will last, since I'm apparently a sucker for punishment.

Watching Six Feet Under during it's re-airing on Sky Atlantic, I forgot how much I ADORE this show. Michael C Hall is arguably the most under rated actor in all of Hollywood. His performance as David touches me so much that it's insane. Just watched the episode "A Private Life", and how he looks at himself during that episode as a homosexual male echoes so many volumes to me as a person that I find it unreal.

And Supernatural is renewed! Press Release!

The network also renewed fan favorite SUPERNATURAL, which enters its seventh season next year. In moving to Fridays last September, SUPERNATURAL immediately helped make The CW more competitive on the night and dramatically contributed to year-to-year gains on Friday of 66% in adults 18-34 and 60% in viewers.
  • Like 1

This season has been hit and miss for me. Some awesome episodes, but then something like the last one which ripped off Back To The Future and didnt even stop to wink at the fans. And The Mother is a villain I barely care about at all.

I thought this season has been bloody brilliant. They've just basically gone back to the original formula, awesome comedy mixed in with the drama, which they sometimes shyed away from last season. I thought the last episode was hilarious in places, they pretty much always nail these types of episodes spot on. It's always amazed me that this show isn't even a comedy show, yet does comedy better than 95% of the actual comedy programmes on television.

Actually thought this would be the last season, so I'm really happy to hear it's been renewed. The Castiel stuff has me really intrigued after the last episode.

I thought this season has been bloody brilliant. They've just basically gone back to the original formula, awesome comedy mixed in with the drama, which they sometimes shyed away from last season. I thought the last episode was hilarious in places, they pretty much always nail these types of episodes spot on. It's always amazed me that this show isn't even a comedy show, yet does comedy better than 95% of the actual comedy programmes on television.

Actually thought this would be the last season, so I'm really happy to hear it's been renewed. The Castiel stuff has me really intrigued after the last episode.

Have you never seen BTTF? And I never said it isn't funny, it is, but that doesnt mean the storylines are any good. And half of them are not. And theyve essentially just dropped the whole "Sams mind can break at any moment" thing which was good.

As for Castiel, I have been eyeing him as the real Big Bad for this season all along.

Allow me to re-iterate my love for Justified and state that it's quite possibly the best drama on TV right now. So good.

Last night's episode was awesome. I knew Mags wouldn't give up Dickie, and next week's season finale is looking really good. I just hope Boyd doesn't end up getting killed off.