General Television Thread

Hellfire

Re: Cuddy leaving House. I like Cuddy a lot, she's awesome and she's a massive part of the show, but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how they have House cope without her, and battling against whoever the new Dean of Medicine is. I tend to like all the characters they introduce on House anyway so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the position. As for how much longer it should go on - well, if you want to keep the quality at its very best then it should probably end ASAP. But I'm still so engrossed by it at this point that until it gets stupidly bad like Heroes, I'm okay with it because it's still my favourite drama, and the only one I watch on a consistent basis. I don't think it'll ever get so offensively bad that it ruins the whole back-catalogue.

Edited by Pesci

Guest JukeboxHero

That's what I think will happen though. Cuddy is a huge part of the show. Anybody watch 'That 70s Show' (I know, different genres and all, etc.)? The show was terrible it's final season due to two key characters leaving. I hope the next season of 'House' will work, but I think Cuddy's departure will be the final nail in the coffin.

I think they filmed tonight's finale before she decided she was leaving, so it'll be interesting to see how they write her out of the show.

I just don't see it being a huge issue. She's usually in episodes for like fifteen minutes max. It'll be weird and it won't be as good as it is with Cuddy in it, but I don't think it'll completely destroy the show. Saying that, a lot does hang on the finale and how the season ends.

Am I the only one who think the biggest problem House has had over the years is not introducing enough new characters? I mean when you get down to it, they've added two new people to the staff and that's about it. The character that Wilson dated was great and I really liked Masterson, but it seems like there just isn't enough new blood on the show.

The earlier seasons had characters like Stacy, Vogler and Tritter (I loved Tritter!) and Season 4 added loads of different characters, okay so most of them didn't stay for long but it added variety to the show. Then they completely mixed the team up and Kal Penn would probably still be there if he didn't decide he wanted to write speeches or whatever it was he did. But the last three seasons have been pretty static I guess. You had Lucas but it always felt like they were trying too hard with him.

So...I hate using the phrase but with the season finale, House really did jump the shark; dumb plot and an especially dumb ending. I have a hard time seeing me go back to watching it on a weekly basis next season.

Guest mr. potato head

That's okay, we're onto the finale of The Event!

Will they stop the Spanish Flu?

Will the president become president again?

Will Sophia's people arrive?

Most importantly, will they actually wrap things up or will they stick us with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved?

Guest mr. potato head

will they stick us with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved?

Yes.

Does anybody care?

No

Oh lord a second season would have been awesome with this premise :lol:

The alien people transported their ENTIRE PLANET to our solar system to wage war on us or something. Never mind that if they only had to move because their planet's sun was going supernova they could have moved it to any of the infinite safe galaxies in the universe.

I'm running out of new TV to watch thick and fast. Glee sucked so hard this season that I gave up. Both V and No Ordinary Family cancelled, Smallville ended, The Event cancelled, meaning I won't bother catching up from where I left off. Judging by next season's schedule, not much will get put in place. Waiting on long aired episodes of Dexter and Supernatural to air over here, at least. Plus, Game of Thrones is the most exciting show since Heroes and LOST began, to me. Walking Dead is due back in winter, until then I need a few others to tide me over.

Baywatch Nights, Season 2

The episode names alone should be enough to convince you.

The Hoff playing a lifeguard/private detective/ghost hunter/alien investigator?

Cracked had this to say about it.

You would think that they would run out of sci-fi beach crime plots quickly, and... they did. And thus some of the most ridiculous plots ever aired on TV were born. Episodes included: sea monsters; unfrozen vikings; surfing aliens; a mutant mermaid serial killer; David Hasselhoff getting cloned to save himself from mutated Brazillian-body-snatching snails. We didn't make up any of those.

Victory!

The final two episodes of Chicago Code were what the entire season need to be about. They were both really good. When they focused more on Gibbons instead of the story of the week (which were mostly not that interesting and just made it seem like your standard police procedural), it was really good. I also liked Jarek finding out more about his brother's undercover cop work.

After idolizing his brother, Jarek finds out that he wasn't the perfect cop he always assumed he was, and even used it to help take down Gibbons, even if it meant dragging this once decorated officer through the mud to do it.

And afer reading that Shawn Ryan was going to make it so that every 10-13 episodes focused on a new villian and that Delroy Lindo was only signed for one season and might have appeared for two-three more, they why did they have Gibbons stuck to the background for all those middle episodes where we focused on uninteresting story of the week stuff that ends up having nothing to do with anything at the end of the day? They really should have done a better job in the middle of the season. Maybe that was a network call or that was how Shawn Ryan wanted it to be. Who knows, but at least they went out with those final two episodes being strong.

I'm still hoping that The Chicago Code gets the Southland treatment and gets picked up by somebody else. I could see this as a great show on FX, TNT or maybe even HBO/Showtime.

So...I hate using the phrase but with the season finale, House really did jump the shark; dumb plot and an especially dumb ending. I have a hard time seeing me go back to watching it on a weekly basis next season.

Yeah, the ending was all kinds of terrible. The main plot idea, self-destructing artist, was a good one. The way they tried to pull it off was just bad and shallow though. They could have done so much more with it. I hate that they are not letting the characters grow and evolve like they should. Basically every episode offers some kind of insight (they are good at that), but almost nothing ever comes of it.

I hate it when that happens. The show has appealing characters, but they are just letting them do their shtick over and over and over again. They made us believe that the characters can't change - they will all fall back in their old ways. This weakens any logical development and leaves me worried about the show's end.

I'd much prefer it if they'd have cut the show one or two seasons shorter and told a compelling story. For example, the beginning of Season 6 was a major chance for a turnaround of the main character, which worked for a while until they switched back to his old self. Which is a shame in my opinion.

will they stick us with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved?

Yes.

Does anybody care?

No

Oh lord a second season would have been awesome with this premise :lol:

The alien people transported their ENTIRE PLANET to our solar system to wage war on us or something. Never mind that if they only had to move because their planet's sun was going supernova they could have moved it to any of the infinite safe galaxies in the universe.

Crazy stuff really, but man I'm pissed still. Yet again they leave us with this. They did the same shit with FF. The Event started pretty average but actually picked up a great deal midway through the season, just as FF did. But as usual, they decide to cancel it and never actually wrap the entire thing up. And so the hundreds of questions never actually get answered, the bastards :angry:

I will likely be House's lone defender to the bitter end. I loved the finale. My only concern is how the off-camera news about Cuddy leaving the show will have an effect on next season, particularly the premiere. I think it can be easily and logically done, but until I see what happens I'm just not sure.

Right now I'm catching up on Fringe, which I somehow completely forgot about watching this season. I'm only two episodes in and I'm already kicking myself for not paying attention to it sooner. Between this and Breakout Kings, I think I've got enough to get me through to next Sunday (more Game of Thrones and The Killing, although I have to catch up on that too.)

I will likely be House's lone defender to the bitter end. I loved the finale. My only concern is how the off-camera news about Cuddy leaving the show will have an effect on next season, particularly the premiere. I think it can be easily and logically done, but until I see what happens I'm just not sure.

Yeah, to be fair I didn't think it was that bad either. A bit over the top compared to other seasons? Sure. And yeah, I thought the ending was a bit out there but this is a very mentally unstable guy and the culmination of everything he's been through with Cuddy. Like Josh said, the hard part will be next season. How they get from that to Princeton Plainsboro with no Cuddy is gonna be the kicker for me as to whether it falls into "really bad" territory, but at this stage my man crush for Hugh Laurie wouldn't really care if he just wanked into a cup for the whole of the next season.