General Television Thread

Hellfire

I felt kinda like a girl when I started watching as I expected it to be Twilight: The TV Show but it became clear about halfway through Season 1 that The Vampire Diaries is pretty good and definitely superior to True Blood. As you'd expect, there's the teenage/love angst but pretty solid overall.

Oh thank god there's another person. I started watching this show for some reason and I've actually really enjoyed it, it's definitely better than True Blood. I'm still hating myself for getting drawn into another CW show though.

Yeah, I keep hearing that Vampire Diaries is actually great and enjoyably batshit insane and now that it's on Netflix I'll probably have to give it a shot. "Better than True Blood" is a good thing for me to hear because I really didn't like True Blood when I gave it a shot.

Bored to Death continues to be really smart, engrossing stuff with really shitty ratings. They're introducing more long-arching storylines this year and a slightly reduced focus on the detective story inspired stuff from what I can tell, but it's still one of the few things that's can't-miss for me. Dick Cavett has a significant role in episode 3 and it's awfully good - more people should be watching this.

• Like 1

Bored to Death continues to be really smart, engrossing stuff with really shitty ratings. They're introducing more long-arching storylines this year and a slightly reduced focus on the detective story inspired stuff from what I can tell, but it's still one of the few things that's can't-miss for me. Dick Cavett has a significant role in episode 3 and it's awfully good - more people should be watching this.

I gave it a try a few months back, but other than one or two moments I didn't really find myself laughing all that much. I mean, it was okay, but nothing so special I felt compelled to watch more. Does it pick up a lot after the first episode?

First season of Bored to Death is mostly just okay with a couple of good episodes. Second season is great stuff, third season has started very promisingly.

I'm watching it too (on DVR delay because I have class Mondays) and I'm sure the ratings are indeed abysmal. Taking it off the Sunday block isn't going to do it any favors, and it's a pity that that's gone but Hung, a show I totally gave up on in season two, is still there.

Best parts for me are the Chalky White scenes. Especially

When he's in jail and taunted by a fellow inmate until he finally has every other man in the cell beat the shit out of him, because that's how much power he wields with black folks in Atlantic City.

That was last week, but that was absolutely brilliant.

Also, watching the original Star Trek, it's almost charming how sexist the show is. I know it's a sign of the times, but considering it was a show which was supposed to show progress of human kind, it takes as many opportunities as possible to remind women that they're nothing without a good man.

I felt kinda like a girl when I started watching as I expected it to be Twilight: The TV Show but it became clear about halfway through Season 1 that The Vampire Diaries is pretty good and definitely superior to True Blood. As you'd expect, there's the teenage/love angst but pretty solid overall.

Oh thank god there's another person. I started watching this show for some reason and I've actually really enjoyed it, it's definitely better than True Blood. I'm still hating myself for getting drawn into another CW show though.

Yeah, I keep hearing that Vampire Diaries is actually great and enjoyably batshit insane and now that it's on Netflix I'll probably have to give it a shot. "Better than True Blood" is a good thing for me to hear because I really didn't like True Blood when I gave it a shot.

Been watching Vampire Diaries since it started, love it. I certainly wouldn't say it's better than True Blood, because it's not, but it's still awesome. Plenty of twists and surprises, this is another show that isn't scared to take risks. The current season is fantastic. If you give it a shot, I'd advise you giving it time, because things really change towards the end of the first season and just become crazy coming into the second and further on.

Been watching Last Man Standing the past couple weeks. It seems like it is just Home Improvement, only Tim Allen lives with a house full of women. He still does the whole 'manly man' character it seems (considering the place his character works at). It doesnt seem like a bad show, though, I suppose.

Has anyone been keeping up with The New Girl? I stopped watching after the second episode I think and wondered if it got any better.

Has anyone been keeping up with The New Girl? I stopped watching after the second episode I think and wondered if it got any better.

There's only been one episode after that, Fox put it on hold over October for some reason after giving it full season. Should return next week. I don't think the third episode was anything special from the other two, it's still a good show i think.

Once Upon A Time premieres tonight, anyone else going to check it out?

Edited by The Sandman

Ill be checking out Once Upon a Time, if my DVR will allow for it. I already have Dexter, Walking Dead, and Pan Am scheduled for tonight, so hopefully there wont be any problem since I can only record two shows that air at the same time.

The New Girl hasn't gotten much better, I'm enjoying Last Man Standing, 2 Broke Girls and Whitney are good shows as well.

MPH and Ruki got on you for the other two bad sitcoms you like so I have to finish it off.

• Like 3