FLASH FORWARD

Big Red Fury

Yeah I thought it was great too. I actually have the book it's based on but I'm trying to wait to read it so it doesn't spoil the show for me.

The tv show is similar but not entirely similar. For instance in the book they see about 21 years into the future I believe as opposed to 6 months. Also I believe the main characters in the book were astro physicists.

Interesting.

I'm afraid of two things with this series...

1. It'll be too much like the book and if I read the book it'll ruin the series.

2. It'll be like Lost and essentially be one giant circle jerk where as soon as they answer one question they ask three more. I hate that shit.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Wow. I am hooked, and I don't get hooked on dramas/serials ever. Few jumbled thoughts:

I haven't read the book, but I was vaguely familiar with it. And I've read other Robert J. Sawyer before (too much Robert J. Sawyer frankly, he's not a good writer). If the show is anything like the book, we're going to get into a lot of hard theoretical science and such, as opposed to the faction of terrorists implied by the main character's flash-forward.

Anyone else assuming the Asian guy's wife was lying about seeing him in her flashforward?

How exactly does the science work, anyhow? Am I off base in assuming that the flashforwards might have originally happened and been entirely different for at least the key characters, but been changed to their current format because of actions the characters take between now and April 29? And for that matter, shouldn't Main Character Guy just leave himself a note to not wear his daughter's bracelet on April 29?

Think I'm forgetting some stuff too.

I dug it, very cool idea, just hope they can keep it interesting... or at least confusing enough that it seems interesting, like Lost. Reminds me a bit of The 4400, which is funny since the creator of 4400 is doing the V remake for ABC which starts in November.

i was quite intrigued by this and look foward to trying to piece it all together..

I hope that they can keep up the entusiasm in each episode... looks to be quite the interesting story.

SO things to keep an eye on so far...

The Kangaroo, the word "mosaic", the three star tattoo ... there were a few others...

V which starts in November for 4 weeks but then gets put on Hiatus until March because ABC shut down production of the show for 6 or so weeks. I wouldn't get my hopes up on V being any good now Zero.

Flash Forward was great though. I never thought I'd like it and I was betting it would be rather shit, but I'm hooked.

When did asianguy's wife say she saw him in her Flash Forward though, as I do not remember that at all.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It was right near the end, can't remember the exact circumstances (every time I try to picture it I end up at main character in bed with his wife, which I know wasn't it). Asian guy asked if he was in her flash forward, she said yeah. He looked worried.

V which starts in November for 4 weeks but then gets put on Hiatus until March because ABC shut down production of the show for 6 or so weeks. I wouldn't get my hopes up on V being any good now Zero.

Not trying to threadjack as I found FlashForward to be rather excellent, but V looks atrocious.

The original mini was about a crusading reporter not willing to buy the government's official story and probing deeper. It was about the dangers of exchanging freedom for safety and would've been hella timely.

Instead, our protagonist is going to be a priest and our theme has morphed into faith vs. science, which is a strange stance to take given that this is supposed to be science fiction. I disapprove. (N)

As it just started in the UK, I just finished the first episode. I get the praise for this show; it's awesome. It feels very new and unique and I love the drama and mystery surrounding the whole event. I like the characters, too. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I found it hard to deal with all the characters and who they were. But if also had a similar problem with BSG when I watcthed the first episode and that sorted itself out.

But yeah, my only gripe, why not just wear the bracelet on the other hand, or something? :P

Not trying to threadjack as I found FlashForward to be rather excellent, but V looks atrocious.

The original mini was about a crusading reporter not willing to buy the government's official story and probing deeper. It was about the dangers of exchanging freedom for safety and would've been hella timely.

Instead, our protagonist is going to be a priest and our theme has morphed into faith vs. science, which is a strange stance to take given that this is supposed to be science fiction. I disapprove. (N)

...What?

"Giant spaceships appear over all major cities of the world, the alien "Visitors" claiming to come in peace. As some humans begin to doubt the sincerity of the Visitors, Homeland Security agent Erica Evans discovers that the aliens have spent decades infiltrating human governments and businesses and are now in the final stages of their plan to take over the planet. Erica joins the resistance movement, which includes Ryan, a Visitor sleeper agent who wants to save humanity. However, the aliens have won favor among the people of Earth by curing a variety of diseases, and have recruited Earth's youth, including Erica's son, to serve unknowingly as spies."

I don't know what the original V was about to be honest as I wasn't around for it, but that sounds nothing like what you described. Where on earth did you hear the thing about the priest?

Unrelated thoughts:

-Good on him for burning the bracelet...seems to me like if you're going to be drunk, defenseless, and have gunmen after you, you'd *want* to do things to change the future. On the same note, why not move the things around on that bulletin board? Keep the same clues, but on different parts of the board.

-Speaking of the board, is Main Guy (can't remember his name) focusing too much on recreating what he saw in his vision, at the expense of pursuing other leads? When the Condoleeza Rice lady mentioned how they need to stop it from happening again, I thought maybe that meant we would see these flashfowards happening again and again, more and more frequently until we're in April and it's at the point where it's almost impossible to tell what's happening in real-time and what's in the future (thus Main Guy goes back to drinking and has trouble solving the puzzle, plus the bad guys can move while he's flashforwarding). But then I figured this was only because I'd read The Accidental Time Machine recently and threw that theory out the window.

-So Noh's going to die, and the KGB is going to be involved at some point. I have to say that unlike ECK, I'm less interested in the clues they're giving us and far more in what they're not saying. Of course there's going to be connections between everything we're introduced to (I'm not expecting much in the way of red herrings), it's much more interesting to me to figure out this stuff before we get it.

-Didn't we get The Wife meeting The Lover at the end of the first episode? And wasn't it in a slightly different situation? And didn't they reuse the "we're all prophets" scene? What's up with that?

Still happy though.

Unrelated thoughts:

-Good on him for burning the bracelet...seems to me like if you're going to be drunk, defenseless, and have gunmen after you, you'd *want* to do things to change the future. On the same note, why not move the things around on that bulletin board? Keep the same clues, but on different parts of the board.

-Speaking of the board, is Main Guy (can't remember his name) focusing too much on recreating what he saw in his vision, at the expense of pursuing other leads? When the Condoleeza Rice lady mentioned how they need to stop it from happening again, I thought maybe that meant we would see these flashfowards happening again and again, more and more frequently until we're in April and it's at the point where it's almost impossible to tell what's happening in real-time and what's in the future (thus Main Guy goes back to drinking and has trouble solving the puzzle, plus the bad guys can move while he's flashforwarding). But then I figured this was only because I'd read The Accidental Time Machine recently and threw that theory out the window.

-So Noh's going to die, and the KGB is going to be involved at some point. I have to say that unlike ECK, I'm less interested in the clues they're giving us and far more in what they're not saying. Of course there's going to be connections between everything we're introduced to (I'm not expecting much in the way of red herrings), it's much more interesting to me to figure out this stuff before we get it.

-Didn't we get The Wife meeting The Lover at the end of the first episode? And wasn't it in a slightly different situation? And didn't they reuse the "we're all prophets" scene? What's up with that?

Still happy though.

You might be right although I remembered both as being part of the look ahead to upcoming episodes portion. I'd have to go back and watch again to make sure.