EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

2. METALLICA (630pts - 10 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 4 | 3)

metallica-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #3

STUDIO ALBUMS: 9

RAAAWR: ...

1. THE BEATLES (700pts - 10 | 10 | 10 | 8 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 1)

beatles.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #2

STUDIO ALBUMS: 27

AND THAT'S THE WRAP!:

xzibit16.JPG

I'd rather Beatles win than Metallica, but I'm also going to question The Beatles being number one. Greatest Bands, yes, for all they've done for music and all, but I find it hard to like them. To each their own, I know, but I just find it hard to believe that many people would rather listen to them than modern bands.

• Like 1

Faith No More?! Couldn't tell you a single song they've written.

I would guess you'll almost certainly have heard Epic before, with a lesser possibility of From Out of Nowhere or We Care a Lot.

Metallica's early stuff was fan-dabi-dozi (essentiallyanything pre-The Black album), they seem to get a lot of flack from the dreary indie lot (hi Jouzy!). They've completely lost hte plot in recent years though.

Who the fuck compared Gaslight to the Killers, how does that work?

Their both from the same city and both used the canned vocals effect. Some say the drums are similar but heh, I don't see it.

I would guess you'll almost certainly have heard Epic before, with a lesser possibility of From Out of Nowhere or We Care a Lot.

Metallica's early stuff was fan-dabi-dozi (essentiallyanything pre-The Black album), they seem to get a lot of flack from the dreary indie lot (hi Jouzy!). They've completely lost hte plot in recent years though.

Their both from the same city and both used the canned vocals effect. Some say the drums are similar but heh, I don't see it.

Eh? Killers are from Vegas. Gaslight from Jersey.

• Like 1

Eh? Killers are from Vegas. Gaslight from Jersey.

Hmm, for some reason I've always been undere the impression they both came from the same area. Well, canned vocals effect is my final answer.

I'd rather Beatles win than Metallica, but I'm also going to question The Beatles being number one. Greatest Bands, yes, for all they've done for music and all, but I find it hard to like them. To each their own, I know, but I just find it hard to believe that many people would rather listen to them than modern bands.

Just for posterity's sake, I had them as my number one and I listen to them all the time. Abbey Road is legit either my favorite album of all time or in my top three, and I consider "A Day In The Life" to be the best song ever. So yeah.

I am so happy that The Beatles finally finished first. I'm pretty sure they've always just hovered around the top five, but I suppose the 9/9/09 blitz put them back into the public consciousness enough for them to reach the top for once.

• Like 1

Also Walker it's not greatest bands, it's favourite.

I know. I was implying that I understand why they are a fan-dabi-dozi band but I find the music dull and dated, so from my point of view I can't see why they'd be top on people's favourite list. I don't want people misconstrue that as a criticism to those who do like to listen to them, I'm just wondering how many people voted for them because they felt they should in comparison to how many voted for them because they are at the top of their playlist.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm at it. Are the Beach Boys not on this list or did I miss them somehow?

Edited by WalkerWGZ
  • Like 1

right... I

Faith No More are alright. they're really a bit dull though and probably one of Mike Patton's less exciting moments. Quite frankly astounded to see them at number 6. I had no idea so many people liked them.

Nine Inch Nails again quite surprised, but to a lesser extent. I do quite like. Piggies is fantastic.

Gaslight Anthem have some fantastic songs but do struggle to maintain consistency. '59 Sound had a bit too many dull soundalike tracks but overall a good album. the Killers comparison annoys me too. Killers are much better. >_>

Muse are good. Have made quite a lot of awful songs but that's all in the fun. Resistance is growing on me. With the exception of Uprising, Guiding Light, Unnatural Selection and the fucking dire "symphony" I actually quite like the album. It's better than Black Holes at least. Which isn't really saying a fan-dabi-dozi deal. :/

On the bright side, Showbiz is mostly good, Absolution is mostly good and at times sublime, and Origin of Symmetry verges on perfection. Maybe we shall see a photo where the bassist doesn't look like a paedo one day.

Metallica only stopped being shit when they stopped doing thrash metal and did proper music for a couple of albums, which were mostly alright save for the all too regular ROKK OUT!!! guitar wankeryfulness. then they became shit again. then the best member of the band joined.

the Beatles absolutely deserve to be number one. And, by my reckoning at least, are the only top ten band that actually deserve to be in the top 10. Oh and tom Waits. Forgot about him. Not quite sure about the 27 studio albums bit. you retard.

• Like 1

the Beatles absolutely deserve to be number one. And, by my reckoning at least, are the only top ten band that actually deserve to be in the top 10. Oh and tom Waits. Forgot about him. Not quite sure about the 27 studio albums bit. you retard.

Neither was I, but I couldn't I couldn't be arsed anymore...so I just copied what wikipedia told me. :shifty:

I'm in the middle of writing a paper about Charles Manson. I got to the part about his "philosophy," and decided to listen to Revolution 9 while I was writing it. I am now thoroughly scared shitless. Fuck the Beatles. But I guess I'd rather have them at the top of the list than Metallica.

I'm in the middle of writing a paper about Charles Manson. I got to the part about his "philosophy," and decided to listen to Revolution 9 while I was writing it. I am now thoroughly scared shitless. Fuck the Beatles.

The Watusi

The Twist

El Dorado!

So we're finally done. Let's see now:

Don't know - The Gaslight Anthem

Hate -

Dislike - Radiohead

Neutral - Nine Inch Nails

Like - Queen

Love - Faith No More, Muse, Metallica, The Beatles

I'drather Beatles win than Metallica, but I'm also going to question TheBeatles being number one. Greatest Bands, yes, for all they've done formusic and all, but I find it hard to like them. To each theirown, I know, but I just find it hard to believe that many people wouldrather listen to them than modern bands.

I absolutely seriously like many, many Beatles songs more than most contemporary music. Helter Skelter, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, All You Need Is Love, I Saw Her Standing There, Eleanor Rigby, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Come Together... Fucking legendary stuff. It's no accident they won this vote, and I have no problem whatsoever with them winning.

Not even if Metallica IS my all-time most favoritest band ever 4 life. I just love almost all of their stuff - the old, thrashing stuff, the poppier hard rock/metal, the country/blues flavored rock, the symphony dabbling... Everything. The biggest disappointment Metallica has caused is definitely the mixing of the Death Magnetic album, but at least there are some killer songs there. Besides, they're still a fucking IMMENSE live band. I can't tell you enough how much I love Metallica; always have, always will. :wub:

The rest of the last entrants:

Faith No More. Good god, they're awesome. I only discovered them about a year ago, but have since fallen truly, madly, deeply in love with them. Saw them live in the summer - it was magical. Epic, From Out Of Nowhere, Falling To Pieces, Easy, Digging The Grave, Surprise! You're Dead!, Stripsearch and We Care A Lot - need I say more? I think not.

Muse. Discovered them around the time Origin of Symmetry came out. Goodness, what an album! I still listen to it at least once a month. I like the newer albums, too, but they can't hold a candle to OoS. Haven't listened to Showbiz, though. Maybe it could be even better? Naah, I don't think so.

Queen has always been a band I kinda liked, but never really became a fan of. Their albums have fan-dabi-dozi, fan-dabi-dozi songs, but also lots of filler songs. Nevertheless, songs like Radio Ga Ga, Bohemian Rhapsody, Stone Cold Crazy, Another One Bites The Dust and Show Must Go On are some of my very favorite tunes.

Nine Inch Nails has always just kinda been there. Never listened very much of them, but always liked them somewhat. Nothing bad to say about them.

Radiohead is a very annoying band. Creep, Paranoid Android and Karma Police are the only songs I like from them, and the whole In Rainbows album is nothing but dull, tedious shite. Thom Yorke is almost as unlikable character as Bono. Almost.

And finally, The Gaslight Anthem. Never heard of them.

My complete listing:

Don't know - Crystal Method, Jimmy Eat World, Steely Dan, My Bloody Valentine, Wu-Tang Clan, Boards Of Canada, The Mars Volta, Dizzee Rascal, De La Soul, Sparks, The Weakerthans, Animal Collective, The Lucksmiths, Taking Back Sunday, Bright Eyes, Lupe Fiasco, Modest Mouse, Alkaline Trio, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Townes Van Zandt, Bob Dylan, Pendulum, Coheed & Cambria, Ryan Adams, Sunset Rubdown, Cobra Starship, The Fall, The Libertines, Say Anything, Streetlight Manifesto, Los Campesinos!, The Magnetic Fields, M.I.A., Minor Threat, Brand New, Belle & Sebastian, A Wilhelm Scream, Reuben, Kid Cudi, Ben Folds (Five), Biffy Clyro, David Bowie, Rush, Strung Out, Frank Turner, Death Cab For Cutie, The Smiths, Milburn, The Gaslight Anthem

Hate - Kanye West

Dislike - Coldplay, Staind, Radiohead

Neutral - Deftones, Smashing Pumpkins, Wintersun, The Arctic Monkeys, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Oasis, Tom Waits, Nine Inch Nails

Like - Electric Six, R.E.M., Peaches, Jimi Hendrix, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Blink 182, Queens Of The Stone Age, Dream Theater, KISS, Björk, Killswitch Engage, Alice In Chains, Blur, Weezer, Pearl Jam, Mastodon, Queen

Love - Pink Floyd, Devildriver, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Eminem, Judas Priest, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, The Prodigy, Michael Jackson, Faith No More, Muse, Metallica, The Beatles

It seems that many people here listen to completely different kinds of music than me. But that's all fine and good. Maybe I will check out some of the acts in the "don't know" category after this. Who knows, I might even like some of them! :)

• Like 1