EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

Milburn - absolutely brilliant. the very definition of a band ahead of their time. but also - like the velvet underground in the 60s, or the Ramones in the 70s - dreadfully misunderstood. I'm sure that in 20 years or so Milburn will be appreciated for what they truly are.

tom Waits - I've got Bonemachine, Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones and the Heart of Saturday Night, with the latter being my favourite, and indeed one of my favourite albums, particularly for San Diego Serenade which is an absolutely fantastic song. I like him but there's still so much I need to listen to. I didn't really like Spacious thoughts though.

Mastodon - I'm not particularly a fan of the genre but I've heard such good things about them I've been meaning to listen to them for ages. I know they've got a big following here but still really, really surprised me in getting so high here.

I only just saw this, and as I cannot be bothered with writing a lot I just want to say I like how high Tom Waits and Frank Turner are, and I dislike the fact that Lady GaGa is higher than The Boss.

Jayzon's a bit you know... foreign though. Finland and all that jazz.

That doesn't really mean anything, British and American music are pretty dominant here in Finland, too. Most artists that are big anywhere else are also big here. ;) Except country. We never really 'got' country. That is, other country than Johnny Cash.

But seriously, I don't think I have heard any of those songs all of you mentioned. Or at least I don't remember. I probably would recognize some of them if I heard them, though.

Oh! Now I know! That single from Bowie's Earthling album, what was it called? "Little Wonder" or something? And didn't Trent Reznor remix a song from that album, too

Oh yeah, and Mastodon. I like them very much, but only on record. Live, not so much. I've seen them three times, and they've always sounded like shit. Sad but true.

Edited by Jayzon
  • Like 1

Yep they have a huge back catalogue, most telloingly is that their first two greatest hits albums outsold all their studio albums and they aren't included in that figure of 14. Then their were a few live albums that have sold bucket loads as well.

Jayzon's a bit you know... foreign though. Finland and all that jazz.

That doesn't really mean anything, British and American music are pretty dominant here in Finland, too. Most artists that are big anywhere else are also big here. ;) Except country. We never really 'got' country. That is, other country than Johnny Cash.

I don't think any country outside of the US has ever got Country.

Also, who are Queen? Are they another Muse ripoff? :shifty:

*rages*

Seriously, fuck Queen. Their greatest achievement was convincing the world that they're not a metric ton of wank.

And I'm almost entirely indifferent to Radiohead. They have one or two songs I don't mind, and a fan-dabi-dozi cover of "Nobody Does It Better", and beyond that I really have no feelings towards them either way.

In summary;

Pop Is Dead :shifty:

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's been a more overrated act in the history of music than Queen. Oasis come close, but the sheer blind worship of Bohemian Rhapsody tips it for Queen. I mean it sounds like three piece-of-shit bits of songs stitched together purely because they were too dumb or too lazy to actually develop them. The lyrics are wank as all hell too, pure dross. Sure, We will Rock you is effective at sporting events, but it's not a good song. None of them are.

Fuck Queen. Seriously.

• Like 2

I'm not sure there's been a more overrated act in the history of music than Queen. Oasis come close, but the sheer blind worship of Bohemian Rhapsody tips it for Queen. I mean it sounds like three piece-of-shit bits of songs stitched together purely because they were too dumb or too lazy to actually develop them. The lyrics are wank as all hell too, pure dross. Sure, We will Rock you is effective at sporting events, but it's not a good song. None of them are.

Fuck Queen. Seriously.

Thank you. :crying: These are tears of joy at how you expressed this.