EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

"The Queen Is Dead". That album's them in a nutshell, basically. The one song that did it for me was "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

I much prefer 'Strangeways Here We Come' as an album, but I remember in 2004/5 when I spoke to Skummy and he reccommended I listen to 'There Is a Light'. I was a bit skeptical because it was an old eighties band and I had never heard anything by them (well, How Soon Is Now? but never attributed it to them). I burned it to disc and it absolutely blew me away one afternoon when I was working on something. It became my life's soundtrack until late in 2008 when I started to become more attatched to other bands and had burnt out my enthusiasm for The Smiths. Anyways, brilliant band. I'll probably post my thoughts on all hundred when it's done.

Ohhhh, fuck you YI. You made me remember Milburn for nothing :@

I definitely wouldn't have gone with Nickelback, because it's conceivable that they actually did make it that high, and then I'd have an aneurysm.

• Like 1

If I was going to make a top 10 albums of all time ever, Tom Waits would feature in it three times. Easy. Rain Dogs, Bone Machine and The Heart of Saturday Night. Tom Waits is quite possibly my favourite recording artist of all time. Suggesting the man is a genius is the biggest understatement of the last thousand years, on par with saying that Hitler was a bit of a rapscallion or that Roger Daltry's son has a minor coke problem.

Let's check these ones out:

Don't know - David Bowie, Rush, Strung Out, Frank Turner, Death Cab For Cutie, The Smiths, Milburn

Hate - Kanye West

Dislike -

Neutral - Tom Waits

Like - Weezer, Pearl Jam

Love - Michael Jackson

Again, there are many artists in the "don't know" category that I know by name only, but have never listened to, them being David Bowie, Rush, DCFC and The Smiths. Out of those, I'm probably going to check out Rush and The Smiths.

Kanye West is the most obnoxious, selfish motherfucker on this planet. I don't like his music, but his actions outside his music really get on my nerves. Eugghh...

I've only barely listened to Tom Waits, but it's all been pretty good. "God's Away On Business" is a fan-dabi-dozi song.

Weezer and Pearl Jam are good-to-fan-dabi-dozi bands which I have listen to somewhat regularly. Not familiar with either band's newer material, though.

And then there's Michael Jackson. Let's forget his zany private life for a while; his music is in a league of its own. Absolutely fantastic, no two ways about it. Legendary stuff.

25. Blur - Probably my fourth favorite band of all time. As far as I'm concerned, they never made a single bad album and had a very interesting and enjoyable arc and development as a band. The fact that they are 25th and Oasis is 21st is just. Why, EWB. Stop that.

24. Johnny Cash - I got into him at the same time as much of my generation did but I'm so fucking sick of people harping on about the "Hurt" cover now. Yeah. Anyway, At Folsom Prison is one of my all time favorite record, favorite track off it is... either "John Henry" or "Orange Blossom Special." Great shit, great man, the king of the Country Exceptions.

23. Jay-Z - I'm actually not that into him! Not that I dislike him, because I certainly don't, but he's not someone who releases new material and I go "ooooh gimme" at. I have some Black Album remix tracks from him and that's about it. Though I still remember back in like 8th grade when "I Just Wanna Love You" came on at a school dance and for the first time ever I was like "fuck it, I am dancing to this hip-hop song no matter how dorky I might look," and that was a pivotal moment for me and school dances.

... yeah. Anyway. Jay-Z. KRS-One wrote a better song burying autotune this year, and he did it without the irony of Kanye West on production.

22. The Prodigy - Have a great summer!

21. Oasis - Nnnnno. Couple of songs I like but I can't think about them without thinking about how much better Blur was and how happy I am for the fact that in the same year that Blur played some reunion gigs and Damon Albarn geared up for a new Gorillaz album, Oasis broke the fuck up.

20. David Bowie - Does he have only one spacesuit or does he have many ch-ch-ch-changes?

19. Weezer - One of my favorite bands of all time, and then 2006 happened. Fuck you, Rivers Cuomo. I can't in good conscience ever put them on one of my lists like this anymore because to me it would imply that I like the utter tripe that they've been putting out since 2002 and I just can't do that.

18. Kanye West - Love him, though I think it's funny that this is his highest rating in a year where he's put out a middling autotune album and been a huge douche. "Street Lights" and "Paranoia" hint at what 808s and Heartbreak COULD have been but ultimately didn't become. Shame.

17. Rush - Fun to play on Rock Band. That's all I've got.

16. Strung Out - Have a great summer!

15. Pearl Jam - Very probably my least favorite of the Four Horsemen of the Grungepocalypse. There are a couple great songs they did but most of it is just so damn bland.

14. Frank Turner - Who? Is that really not Brett McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords in that picture?

13. Death Cab For Cutie - I... hmmm. I like them but I've found that I find their full albums don't interest me anymore. The Photo Album seemed amazing when I first listened to it in 2004. But this year they put out "Cath..." which is easily one of their all-time best songs, so hey.

12. Michael Jackson - Sorry, Skummy, you're still wrong and now I feel even more confident in saying it now that I own Off the Wall and can safely say that it features some of the best pop songs I have ever heard. That being said, he wouldn't be here if he didn't die, and that's unfortunate but more of a reflection of the fact that he worked entirely in a style of music that EWB doesn't have a high level of appreciation for, hadn't put out a memorable album in ages, and had the battered, tarnished personal stuff too. His music at its peak really is that good, though. It's just that peak is loooong before the vast majority of us were capable of sentient thought.

11. The Smiths - I will get into them in earnest someday. "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" is an amazing song.

10. Tom Waits - I just can't get into that voice much and I feel bad for it. I truly do.

omg Milburn. typical EWB just voting for whoever's the big thing at the time. :/

Yeah well the thread title IS "EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!" so in that case so what if they're not the "greatest". They're the favourite groups as we see them for this year of our life.

I'm really surprised to see Milburn here, my mates band supported them a few years ago, they split about about a year ago I think(Milburn). I really like them though. As for the stick Oasis are getting I admit that they're over rated but they're still an very good band.

:/

Oasis finishes higher than Blur. 21st ain't fan-dabi-dozi compared to 5th, but something is right in the world.

Wrong with the world, don't you mean? Blur kill Oasis in every way shape or form....until they went and tried to be a bit too experimental, that's when I got bored.

I like Blur lots. Although if we were having some sort of Britpop faceoff I'd put Pulp higher.

And agreed. Pulp > Blur > Oasis