EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

Because I can't be fucked making a big long post about them when most of it will be the same stuff, a five-category list. The problem is that I don't buy albums without months of listening to the band on Youtube and then all I remember are those songs I've already listened to...it's a stupid way of doing things, really, and I'm trying to get out of the habit of just listening to the stuff I already know. Anyway.

Dislike - Coldplay, R.E.M

Ambivalent - Electric Six, Devildriver, Deftones, Crystal Method, Peaches

Tolerate - Jimmy Eat World

Like - Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix

Adore - Foos, Spektor

• Like 1

Hmm, my opinions of the bands/artists so far:

Don't know - Crystal Method, Jimmy Eat World

Hate - <none>

Dislike - Coldplay

Neutral - Deftones

Like - Electric Six, R.E.M., Peaches, Jimi Hendrix, Foo Fighters

Love - Pink Floyd, Devildriver

Looks like a pretty nice list, although Pink Floyd should definitely be higher. Wish You Were Here is one of my all-time favorite albums, it's damn near perfect. Also, much love for DevilDriver. One of the best new metal bands around.

I've never actually listened to Crystal Method or Jimmy Eat World, so I can't say if I like them or not. And Coldplay would otherwise be in the "Hate" category, if not for the gloriously fun "Viva La Vida" song.

...make way for the random shit;

emma-watson-as-hermione-granger-in-harry-potter.jpg

89. BLINK 182 (14pts - 6 | 1)

blink182_10.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #20

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

YEARS UNTIL TOM DELONGE CHANGES THE WORLD?: 27

89. STAIND (14pts - 6 | 1)

NITE_STAIND1_0831.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

NUMBER OF SONGS?: 1 1/2

88. STEELY DAN (16pts - 5 | 3)

398319_f520.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 9

TIMES FOR SOME REASON I'VE GOT THEM CONFUSED WITH DEACON BLUE?: 3 and counting

Alouddoubles_468x581.jpg

86. MY BLOODY VALENTINE (16pts - 6 | 2)

2284407.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2 (and so many EP's you could build a fortress out of them)

GENRE PIONEERS?: Yes, the "Bands YI would normally just like, but instead really quite likes because there's a girl he'd rag all over in them"

86. WU-TANG CLAN (16pts - 6 | 2)

09216_154735_blackout.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

GUESS YOU'RE WONDERING WHY YOU'RE HERE?: You've each been selected because you are unknown to the enemy and you each have a special skill; Proffesser Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, The Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, The Sugarpuffs Monster and Daniel Day Lewis...PREPARE FOR OPERATION MINDFUCK!!!

Edited by YI

Hmh, here's my thoughts of the next batch:

Don't know - Steely Dan, My Bloody Valentine, Wu-Tang Clan

Hate - <none>

Dislike - Staind

Neutral - <none>

Like - Blink 182

Love - <none>

Blink 182 is an okay pop punk band, I've never had anything against them. Staind is just bad. Not terrible, but bad. Never liked them one bit. The other three ones I know by name, but never really listened, so I have no opinion on them.

The musical tastes here seem to be pretty varied, it'll be extremely interesting to see how this list goes on. :)

I seem to be one of the only people of my age group who has never liked a single Blink 182 song. Not even a little bit. I find them absolutely dire, one of the few bands that I find it genuinely unpleasant to listen to and honestly can't understand their popularity.

People still listen to Stain'd? I bought the album with "Outside" on it when it came out (secret shame), because on the live version of that song that used to get played on Kerrang!, he sounded eerily like my older brother singing. Soon realised that the album was terrible. And that was their best one. I had forgotten they existed. Even Vex Red were more memorable.

Steely Dan? The fuck? You weren't lying about random shit, were you? I'm not even sure I have an opinion on Steely Dan, they're just a band that are...there. No one listens to them enough for me to dislike them, but they've never done anything that interests me, other than being named after a sex toy in a William S. Burroughs' book, and they deserve a few bonus points for that.

My Bloody Valentine are lovely. Haven't listened to "Loveless" in years, but I adore it, and it's pretty high on my "albums everybody should own list". They're also the first band in this list that I'm going to see live next month, which is a plus.

Wu-Tang Clan are brilliant.

100. Coldplay - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. "Shiver" is a decent song, everything else puts me in a coma.

100. Electric Six - I never got into them the way other people do. "Danger! High Voltage" is an awesome song but they're just a novelty band to me.

100. Jimmy Eat World - I used to hate them when "The Middle" was being played on the radio once every ten minutes in 2002. But "Bleed American" and "A Praise Chorus" from the same album are both great songs so it sort of evens out. I'll never go out of my way to listen to them but they're okay.

99. REM - they have some good songs but I could never care about them in the way so many people tend to do. My favorite songs of theirs are the ones that are on the Man on the Moon soundtrack.

97. Crystal Method - eh.

97. Jimi Hendrix - True Story: He lived up the street from my dad and aunt, he was a bit older than both of them but they both have really clear memories of him and have told me stories. Nothing exciting in that regard, but the very fact that they knew him as kids is just endlessly cool to me. Also his music was fucking awesome. "Bold as Love" has become one of my recent musical love affairs.

95. Pink Floyd - don't do much for me. I think "Money" is a cool song and if I hear them I'm like "okay, this is okay" but meh.

95. Regina Spektor - see, it's weird. I love indie pop singer/songwriters (see Mirah) but I just can't get into her much. I even bought Soviet Kitsch off of Amazon MP3 because it was like three bucks, and... I just don't like most of it. "Us" is a gorgeous song and if I hear her playing I'm not going to recoil in horror, but I just can't get into Regina Spektor.

94. Peaches - who?

93. Foo Fighters - I dig them but the older I get the less interested I am in them. All of their stuff from the last six years, except for like two or three songs, is just generic top 40 rock radio. But how can I really, truly argue against the band that produced "Everlong," "Aurora," and "This is a Call?" I can't. I like Foo Fighters and I'd still very much enjoy watching them live if it ever happens.

92. Devildriver - I hate that band name and so I hate them. That is so Awesome McCoolname, right there.

91. Deftones - never cared about them one way or the other.

89. Blink 182 - "Josie" is a good song. "Dammit" is a good song. Everything else I stopped caring about once I stopped being twelve. "What's My Age Again" is good for the occasional "oh man, remember 1999" effect, though.

89. Staind - Fuck you, EWB.

88. Steely Dan - Really? Well, anyway, I've been watching CHIKARA shows from '03 and '04 and I fucking love Eddie Kingston and BlackJack Marciano coming out to "Jack of Speed." It's such unlikely entrance music and it works absolutely perfectly. That's all I've got on Steely Dan.

86. My Bloody Valentine - I've been in love with "Sometimes" ever since I heard it in Lost in Translation. But they've always struck me as a band I should love but don't. They're certainly good but I don't put them on the pedestal others have.

86. Wu-Tang Clan - Ain't nothing to fuck with.

blink-182 - Like everyone else, I really liked them about ten years ago. I've not had a proper listen to them in years and I don't think I'd want to. there's still a few songs I like - "Mutt", "Down", "Stay together For the Kids", "Carousel" and perhaps a few others. As a whole though - as much as it pains me to say it - they were a bit wank. Not as bad as Angels & Airwaves, +44, transplants or any other non Box Car spinoff, but still pretty shit. And I can't even use the nostalgia argument in their favour like many other people did cause I don't have any especially good memories interwoven with their music. the whole not liking them at all thing only occurred to me fairly recently. I was walking about somewhere with my iPod on shuffle and 'First Date' came on and I just thought "how on earth could I ever have liked this shit?" Bit of an epiphany. >_>

Staind - Never heard their music but I know enough to pass judgement on them. Dreadful.

Steely Dan - I love, and like Jimi Hendrix was really close to voting for them. In fact, it's not inconceivable that I could have voted them at #1 cause there are some days I listen to them and think they are music at its finest. I love the vast majority of their catalogue, but special favourites would be "Haitian Divorce", "throw Back the Little Ones", "Parker's Band" and "My Old School". Excellent group.

My Bloody Valentine - Fine example of YI's horrendous lady taste there. Another very good band. I don't love as I might do with Steely Dan or even know a fan-dabi-dozi deal about them. "Isn't Anything" is wonderful though. Particularly "Soft As Snow". I want to listen to it now actually.

Wu-tang Clan - I like. My old flatmate worships them and got me into them a lot last year. 36 Chambers is the only one I know that well because I only go for the big hits what a typical casual music fan I am. I probably prefer Ghostface Killah solo though. Fishscale is a wonderful rap album that also features the worst skits ever to have been recorded. thumbs up.

hahahaha, the skits on Ghostface's albums are always awful. I don't even know why skits get added to these albums, they're always dire.

But yes, I'm so very "meh" about this list aside from Hendrix, Floyd and Wu-Tang Clan. They're the only ones I really really like, the rest have a song or two that I like or they're just.. there.

The List Thusfar - The Sousa Perspective:

Sousa: "Staind.

Is it 1998?

Holy shit man, you know what's this awesome new band?

DEFAULT.

Holy shit, dude, is Lou Bega on the list?

The New Radicals?

Eagle Eye Cherry?"

I agree with my favorite EWB expatriate.

100. Coldplay - I find them a bit boring and dull

100. Electric Six - never heard of them

100. Jimmy Eat World - or them

99. REM - not a huge fan

97. Crystal Method - I have one of their albums, they're alright

97. Jimi Hendrix - is awesome

95. Pink Floyd - not too bad. The Wall is pretty overrated though.

95. Regina Spektor - This might be one of those people I should get into, but haven't

94. Peaches - I'm pretty sure this doesn't refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3HLPednVU

93. Foo Fighters - not a huge fan

92. Devildriver - not familiar with

91. Deftones - I liked Change, and maybe one or two other songs I heard from them.

90. Emma Watson - (Y)

89. Blink 182 - You suck EWB

89. Staind - People still like them?

88. Steely Dan - total awesomeness

86. My Bloody Valentine - You suck EWB

86. Wu-Tang Clan - total awesomeness

I can completely buy someone not having heard either song or at the very least being unable to identify Electric Six as the band who did those songs. They're really not a-list or anything.