EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

I must ask, what's with the entries blank but for pictures of women?

As wannabe said...ties...and it's not just women in ties...the first 2 were just ties...and we've had Frank Butcher...don't pigeonhole me as a pervert. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I must ask, what's with the entries blank but for pictures of women?

As wannabe said...ties...and it's not just women in ties...the first 2 were just ties...and we've had Frank Butcher...don't pigeonhole me as a pervert. :shifty:

What about last year when it was just pictures of girls? :shifty:

Yes, but it was random women, like people who were once on Neighbours (and since come back) and like Breakfast TV presenters. :shifty:

flanagan17.jpg

69. BRIGHT EYES (24pts - 8 | 4)

brighteyes_01.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #49

STUDIO ALBUMS: 7

YOU KNOW, I REALLY LIKE SOME OF HIS SONGS: ...but that one where he sips coffee at the start makes me hate him...HAVE SOME MANNERS YOU'RE NOT LICKING IT UP FROM A BOWL LIKE A DOG!!

69. LUPE FIASCO (24pts - 8 | 4)

lupe-fiasco.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #75

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2

CAN YOU TELL I CAN'T EVEN BE ARSED TO BEGIN TO THINK OF ANYTHING EVEN RESEMBLING FUNNY TO PUT HERE ANYMORE?: ...

69. MODEST MOUSE (24pts - 8 | 4)

Modest_Mouse.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

COOLEST T-SHIRT PURCHASE I HAVE MADE IN THE PAST YEAR?:

4247_398.jpg

tyrone1.jpg

67. ALKALINE TRIO (24pts - 9 | 3)

063008_alkalinetrio_bonus1.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #53

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

ALKALINE TRIO FUN FACT #1?: It is possible to link EVERY current artist to Alkaline Trio through 6-degrees of seperation. Seriously. :shifty: Well, most at least.

67. ANDREW JACKSON JIHAD (24pts - 9 | 3)

andrew-jackson-jihad_010350_1_mainpicture.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2

LYRICS:

I like telling dirty jokes,

and I like smoking crystal meth,

but darling I love you.

And I like laughing at retards,

and I like throwing rocks at dogs,

but darling I love you.

I love you like the moon and stars,

when little kids get hit by cars,

girl you know its true. Darling, I love you.

I've been tryin' to move on, since you left,

since you've been gone, but its so hard on me.

Talked to a girl in first hour, bought her a cd,

bought her a flower, but she's a stupid cunt.

But I'll take anything, and I'll take anyone.

I'll take an angry lesbian with a loaded gun.

I'll take a whore with syphilis and gonorrhea too.

But darling, I love you

Darling, I love you

Darling, I love you

Darling, I love you

66. TOWNES VAN ZANDT (24pts - 10 | 2)

tvz.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 13

YEAH, I HONESTLY DON'T HAVE A CLUE: He looks fucking badass though.

Edited by YI

Another batch where I only have strong feelings on one artist, but thankfully this time it's a positive reaction (as opposed to Limp Bizkit, which... yeah.)

Lupe Fiasco is the shit, easily my favorite rapper to really break out in the last few years. The Cool is one of my favorite albums in recent memory, just really good socially conscious hip-hop. "Go-Go Gadget Flow" through "Hip-Hop Saved My Life" on that album is really one of the best strings of great song after great song in any hip-hop album I've ever heard.

Also, Skummy or metalman, I'm betting one out of the two of you voted for/has good song recommendations on Townes Van Zandt. Hop to.

Best one for me yet, which isn't so surprising as I voted for a couple of these. Lupe is my favorite mainstream rapper, Modest Mouse is one of my favorite indie bands, Bright Eyes and Andrew Jackson Jihad are the obligatory acoustic acts that I have to love. And Alkaline Trio are alright.

Another batch where I only have strong feelings on one artist, but thankfully this time it's a positive reaction (as opposed to Limp Bizkit, which... yeah.)

Lupe Fiasco is the shit, easily my favorite rapper to really break out in the last few years. The Cool is one of my favorite albums in recent memory, just really good socially conscious hip-hop. "Go-Go Gadget Flow" through "Hip-Hop Saved My Life" on that album is really one of the best strings of fan-dabi-dozi song after fan-dabi-dozi song in any hip-hop album I've ever heard.

Also, Skummy or metalman, I'm betting one out of the two of you voted for/has good song recommendations on Townes Van Zandt. Hop to.

Our Mother the Mountain. His best album, imo.

Lupe's cool, love Townes, Alkaline Trio I don't care about, true story: I've had an Andrew Jackson Jihad album for a year and a half now and have never listened to it once, Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse are alright.

Okay, these artists just keep on getting weirder. Of the newest batch (Bright Eyes, Lupe Fiasco, Modest Mouse, Alkaline Trio, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Townes Van Zandt), I have heard the names of Modest Mouse and Townes Van Zandt, but I have never listened to their music. The others - utterly unknown.

Bright Eyes - :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Lupe Fiasco - em well I have the Cool and it's really quite good. I've never been a huge fan though.

Modest Mouse - I like a lot. Pity about their dreadful b-sides EP. I actually like their two most recent albums best. I'm uncool like that.

68. - my mum has a t-shirt like that so it's obviously not that cool.

I rather like Alkaline trio. Maybe I'll Catch Fire is good but they are shit now.

Andrew Jackson Jihad have some fantastic individual songs. But I really can't stomach a full album. Mainly because AJJ full albums aren't very good.

66. townes van Zandt is absolutely brilliant, another I was close to voting for. I'd also recommend "Our Mother the Mountain" Gogo. It has the likes of "tecumseh Valley" and "Why She's Acting this Way". It's all good really.

Perhaps it's because you seem to have the musical taste of a 12 year old just discovering music in the late 90's?

Well, I actually DID discover popular music in the mid-late 90's... But I dunno, it might be more because I tend to have a more metal music taste. I do listen to other stuff than metal, too, but it tends to be more mainstream. I do listen to some less known metal, though. I've just never really had any interest in the currently popular indie scene.

But yeah, thanks anyway for being so dickish. :)

Edited by Jayzon

... yeah, I had a reply open and then failed to make it. Since this is clearly coming up sooner rather than later and is a constant threat with these lists every year; it's perfectly fine to insult musical artists. I can talk for ages and ages about how much I find Limp Bizkit to be complete tripe, and in the same vein if someone feels so inclined to do the same for, say, The Beatles or Tupac or Mozart or whoever, they have the same right. But there's a distinct between having an opinion and insulting others because of their opinions. Let's please not cross it. If it starts getting bad after this point I will start handing warnings out.

I replied to this before, but the board was being a prick.

Bright Eyes is alright. Don't like him as much as some people do, but "Lover I Don't Have To Love" and "The Calendar Hung Itself" are incredible songs.

I have some Lupe Fiasco. Quite good, but don't really know anything about him.

Modest Mouse falls into much the same category...not bad, but never liked them enough to pursue them much further. "Float On" was class.

Can't stand Alkaline Trio, they just fall into an area of music that has never appealed to me. They did one of the better tracks on the "Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show", though.

Never listened to Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Townes is wonderful - did I vote for him? Think I might have done. fan-dabi-dozi songs anyway - "Rake" is never far from my open mic setlists.

Working backwards, as I've just realised I never passed comment on the last lot;

Limp Bizkit are diabolical. A seriously fucking dreadful band. I can't say anything about them that hasn't been said before, and I'm too tired to be quite as angry as they usually like me, but it's just shit. They're terrible at rock music, terrible at metal, terrible at rap, what can they actually do well? Fuck all. Also they had that hideous song on "Chocolate Starfish" that purposefully just said the word "fuck" as many times as possible, which everybody at school thought was hilarious, and I found it embarrassing even then. Also, terrible Who cover, makes me vomit.

I don't have much Animal Collective. I have the last album, and it's brilliant, and a couple of other tracks, and some of the solo projects, but there's just too much stuff - I know I will like them, and I know I'm "supposed" to like them, but there's just too much to delve into without a guide, I don't know where to start.

The Lucksmiths, surprise surprise, I voted for them. One of my favourite bands ever. Wonderful songwriting, and a fan-dabi-dozi sound. They've never recorded a bad album (I could almost argue that they've never recorded a bad song), and I just love them. So much. Their approach to songwriting has been a bigger influence on my own writing than probably anyone, and they're one of those bands that have a song for every mood, and for every occasion - I once said that there's not a bad situation that can't be solved with a Ronettes lyric, but I think it's probably more true to be said for the Lucksmiths. Even if 90% of their songs are about wanting to stay in bed. I was genuinely incredibly sad when they split up earlier this year, especially as I'd passed up the opportunity to buy tickets to their last ever UK shows - which, at the time, I didn't know would be their last. Sad, sad times.

Don't give a shit about Taking Back Sunday.

Since someone mentioned that DevilDriver is an example of having an "Awesome McCoolName", I found the need for a rebuttle.

It's not like they just got together and said "What's cool? The Devil! Let's put that in our name!"

Due to copyright issues and the name being taken by several bands, Deathride changed its name to DevilDriver, which refers to bells Italian witches used to drive evil forces away.

So not only is it a legitimate term, but it's one that pertains directly to the style of music and lyrical direction of the band. Of course, to someone on the outside looking in, sure, it sounds like Awesome McCoolName... but it's really no worse than Andrew Jackson Jihad or Animal Collective.

Anyways, I was surprised and happy to see them on the list, as they have churned out some really brutal metal for the mainstream metal community.

Also, Taking Back Sunday's new album is fan-dabi-dozi, and their old stuff is catchy as shit, even if some people are ashamed to admit to liking it.

Alkaline Trio is one of my favorite bands, so I'm excited to see their inclusion as well. Agony and Irony wasn't what I wanted out of them, but for a band who had been so consistent for me up until that point, I can forgive that.

I didn't even realize we'd voted on this already, so I'm hoping the Misfits make it in somewhere.