EWB's Favourite 102 Artists for 2009!

YI

Okay, so Hamster linked me to some Boards of Canada and it's good stuff. Not something I'd go out of my way for but I really dig it as electronic background music.

ONWARDS.

80. De La Soul - fucking amazing. Twenty years and they're still coming strong, I saw them live in September and they were the shit. I'm really excited to see what the end result of their appearances on the next Gorillaz album will be, "Feel Good Inc." is a pretty hard act to follow.

80. Led Zeppelin - I really really cannot stand "Stairway to Heaven." True story. Probably one of the most overrated songs of all time in my opinion. Thankfully, this is also the band that produced "Black Dog" and "Trampled Under Foot" amongst many other awesome songs, so it comes out in Led Zep's favor.

80. Sparks - No clue.

79. Linkin Park - No no no no Jesus Christ no. Hated them in 2002, still hate them now. The only good thing pertaining to them is the fact that the lyrics of "Crawling" and "In The End" make for excellent punchlines and running gags.

78. The Weakerthans - No clue.

77. Tool - Oh god, spare me. I have never gotten why they're supposed to be so incredible, at best I find their music tolerable, at worst unbearable.

76. Soundgarden - I've been growing to appreciate them more and more. That still means they'll only be able to aspire to being my second-favorite out of the Four Horsemen of the Grungepocalypse. "Blow Up the Outside World" is one of my favorite awesomely '90s songs.

80. De La Soul - Another one of those bands I should have gotten into, but didn't

80. Led Zeppelin - seriously ranked too low here

80. Sparks - No clue. I'm assuming this isn't the shitty band from Maine with similar name.

79. Linkin Park - Points of Authority was alright. And I couldn't care less about anything else they did.

78. The Weakerthans - No idea

77. Tool - I like A Perfect Circle, if that counts for anything

76. Soundgarden - I've probably heard some their songs and just don't recognize them

You might recognise Sparks through this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtj2ShktAU

I think in the UK they were most famous because of Ron (the keyboard player)'s "eccentric" performances while playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OegzI5lweOo

I can promise I have never once heard of Boards of Canada. It also makes me cry Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin, you fucking heathens - got outscored by Linkin Park - LINKIN PARK, YOU FUCKING HEATHENS! I don't think I voted for them, but as if I'm going to let logic get in my outrage. Kashmir, Immigrant Song, Achilles Last Stand, do these things mean nothing to you people? Urgh. From 13 to 80. Urgh and damn.

Sparks I've never heard of, De La Soul are forever and always ace, Zeppelin's alright (mostly for Immigrant Song), the best thing Linkin Park's ever done was the Jay-Z mashup, The Weakerthans I just can't get into, Tool is just.. there, and Soundgarden was one of my favourite bands when I was like, 12.

True story, I'd never heard more than a snippet of "In the End" and went ahead anyway and used it for my e-fed character's theme. This was in, like, 2002? Maybe? I recently heard the entirity of the song on the radio and holy hell dire.

The only band mentioned so far that'd be on my personal top 100 list is Led Zeppelin. Probably in the 50-60 range. Especially Led Zep II is awesome, Physical Graffiti is real good too. Pioneers of flamboyant heavy metal.

To be fair, despite Sparks being American, pretty much all their success came in the UK in the '70s, and moderate critical acclaim in the last few years. Don't think they've ever been much more than a blip on the radar in the US - we tend to be kinder to eccentric pop. It's a shame, though, because their music is often largely in the American tradition.

Check them out, definitely! Especially you, Cloudy!

Also, when John Lennon first saw them on Top Of The Pops, his response was apparently "Blimey. Hitler's on the telly."

What I think of the latest artists:

Don't know - Boards Of Canada, The Mars Volta, Dizzee Rascal, De La Soul, Sparks, The Weakerthans

Hate -

Dislike -

Neutral -

Like - Linkin Park, Tool

Love - Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden

Seriously, you guys listen to some weird shit. I've heard of Mars Volta and De La Soul, but all those others - what? :unsure:

Linkin Park is okay, not my favorite but nothing too offensive. Some really good songs. They're much better than people give them credit for. Tool I've never really gotten into, but I do like some of their songs, and I saw them live once on a festival, and they rocked.

Led Zeppelin is fucking ace, and I am seriously shocked that they come in this low. I've just recently found Soundgarden, other than Black Hole Sun, obviously. I really, really like them, and I think that Jesus Christ Pose might be the best grunge song ever. One of the best rock songs ever, even.

75. LIMP BIZKIT (22pts - 6 | 5)

482.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY?: ?

74. ANIMAL COLLECTIVE (22pts - 7 | 4)

edwardy.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 8

WHERE DO POLAR BEARS POO?: ?

73. THE LUCKSMITHS (22pts - 10 | 1)

thelucksmiths.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: #91

STUDIO ALBUMS: 8

THERE IS A BOY: ...That Never Goes Out

72. TAKING BACK SUNDAY (24pts - 6 | 6)

takingbacksunday.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

WHAT'S IT FEELS LIKE TO BE A GHOST?: ...Louder Now, Louder Now

lindsey-3.jpg

Limp Bizkit were absolutely, positively, dreadfully shit even at the time. But fun. How did they get so high? Do we have two 11 year olds on EWB?

Animal Collective are alright I suppose. A bit shit at times though and nowhere near as good as everyone says they are. Scientific fact - 80% of the people who say they like Animal Collective have never actually listened to them.

the Lucksmiths are wonderful x 6000. Green Bicycle Case and Warmer Corners I like best. Although I love them all.

taking back Sunday are completely woefully awful.

p.s. I have never listened to taking back sunday

Don't know - Animal Collective, The Lucksmiths, Taking Back Sunday

Hate -

Dislike -

Neutral -

Like -

Love - Limp Bizkit

Once again, I've never heard of most of these bands. But I do love Limp Bizkit, always have. Just a fun band with catchy, rocking songs. Their last record, The Unquestionable Truth pt. 1 might be their best ever.