The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

We're a probable playoff team without McNabb. Our biggest holes are not at the QB position and while Alex Smith has detractors (and rightfully so), he did improve his play last year and looked a lot better than he had at any other point in his career. Is he a Pro Bowl caliber player? No, but he seems to be improving. If he can continue to play like he did last year, then we had no need to go get McNabb. McNabb really wouldn't have made us THAT much better because our problem last year wasn't necessarily at the QB position, it was the fact that our offensive line is awful (and putting an oft-injured player like McNabb behind it just screams bad idea to me), we got burned against the pass, our lack of any return game whatsoever and the fact that we don't have a consistent pass rush. All things we need to use our draft picks on that we would've given up for an aging, injury prone QB who would be changing systems for the first time in his career.

I just don't buy the idea that McNabb would've put us over the hump. We just need to add a couple of pieces in certain areas (and have Alex Smith continue his play from last year) and we're already there without him.

X's Offseason Checklist (for THE Bears)

- Sign Marc Bulger

- Trade next years first and a 4th rounder for a 1st rounder this year.

- Use 1st round pick on either Dez Bryant or Arrelious Benn.

- Draft a guard and secondary help.

When the Oakland Raiders showed a willingness to trade for the Donovan McNabb without an extension, McNabb indicated to the Eagles through his associates that he’d retire.

“He has plenty of money,” the source close to McNabb said. “He’s not doing anything he doesn’t want to do.”

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/16527/20100405/mcnabb_told_eagles_hed_retire_before_going_to_raiders/#ixzz0kG4EQOj5

Is this supposed to mean something, or do you just get off on talking shit about Oakland?

He didn't want to go to Oakland. Big fucking deal. I think he's stupid for making that decision, because Oakland is far closer to being competitive than any other team mentioned in the running for him, outside of Minnesota. That includes Washington.

I guess its that Cleveland inferiority complex. If all I had to pride myself on was a poor imitation of the Black Hole (Dawg Pound, lol. Only drunk Philly fans have less class), I'd have to make myself feel better too.

I would have been happy with McNabb. I like the guy, think he deserves better than he got in Philly, and think he could have put Oakland over the top. In the end, however, its probably better that he didn't want to come to Oakland, because its a young team, and I'd rather have a good young QB. Then again, wouldn't we all.

Hell, I'd REALLY like Jason Campbell.

Oh, and I was unaware that San Francisco was considered a contender. They have many of the same problems Oakland does (no proven QB or WR, decent running game and defense), and similar advantages (weak division). San Diego is probably better than Arizona, though. Still don't consider them a contender, though.

lol, I don't think he was purposely taking a shot at the Raiders, just stating a fact.

I read that the reason McNabb was traded to the Redskins was because he, point-blank, told them that he would veto any trade to any other team but the Redskins. It was a much less public and much speedier version of the Favre saga, pretty much. Similar reasoning to the Favre ordeal, too (try to get back at his old team/the management team that pushed him out the door).

EDIT - Even if Alex Smith continues to "improve", there's still no way he has the chops to "carry" (and I use that term loosely) past a Wild Card game, if that. Especially with the holes in the secondary/defense that the Niners have; if they get into a shoot-out with any of the potent passing attacks of the NFC, it'd be over before the half. McNabb, at least, has proven he can take a sub-par team to the NFC Championship in the past, and then immediately choke and crush the dreams and hopes of the entirety of his team's fanbase. =P

But whatever, at least this'll end the McNabb-to-Cardinals rumors that kept popping up every other day, it seemed.

Also, apparently the Ravens are willing to part with Gaither for an early 2nd round. Why the fuck aren't the Cardinals on the phone right now offering their 1st for him? He is an elite tackle, efficient at both pass and run blocking, doesn't have an extensive injury history as far as I'm aware, and is only 24. Shit, even though he's already been in the league for a handful of years, I'd say his ceiling's higher than Okung's at this point. Make the fuckin' call, Graves!

And how the hell is Kirk Morrison still available for only a 3rd? Pick him up, too, Graves, god damnit.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Wait, where did you hear Kirk Morrison is available? I haven't heard that at all, and the Raiders don't have a replacement. I find that highly suspect.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Raiders-apply-same-logic-to-RFA-process-as-every?urn=nfl,225685

Third-round RFA tender. He still hasn't re-signed, from anything I've seen.

I personally don't see why McNabb would have rather retired then go to Oakland. One competent coach who will stand up to Al Davis' senility and a good QB, and Oakland would be contenders every year. Their receivers, while not the best, aren't Browns level terrible and DHB could develop into a great receiver if he had a QB who was able to get the ball to him consistently.

McFadden and Bush have potential to be a strong 1-2 punch in the running game, and thats what McNabb needs. He needs a running game to take pressure off of him all the time and actually make the playaction credible. Sure, Reid did alot of playaction, but when its the 3rd quarter and you've only run the ball maybe 10 times in the game, the defense isn't going to buy into it.

Willie Parker has been injury pron the last few seasons, and Portis' concussion was very similar to Westbrooks second concussion, so who knows if they'll get a full season from either of them. McNabb would've been better off in Oakland

According to NFL.com, the Redskins are also trying to deal Haynesworth. Apparently he is reluctant to switch to nose tackle and he's made a pretty bad impression with Shanahan. I can't see ANY team willing to take him on and his massive contract.

According to NFL.com, the Redskins are also trying to deal Haynesworth. Apparently he is reluctant to switch to nose tackle and he's made a pretty bad impression with Shanahan. I can't see ANY team willing to take him on and his massive contract.

His contract isn't that bad if he gets traded, but I find it hard to believe the Skins will trade him and eat the 40 mil guaranteed for 1 season of work.

Edited by Mofoticon

The Washington Redskins remain willing to unload defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, according to league sources, in hopes of dealing him prior to the draft. Haynesworth has made a poor impression with new coach Mike Shanahan, according to sources, and attempts to deal him to Philadelphia were not isolated.

Several executives believe the most likely option for Haynesworth -- if not the only option -- would be a return to Tennessee, where he played his best football and where he remains close with defensive line coach Jim Washburn. Finding a financial agreement could prove difficult -- Haynesworth had a $21 million bonus this month, which the Redskins would most certainly want some buy-back on -- as the Titans are generally prudent in their spending.

Shanahan is worried about Haynesworth's negative impact on chemistry, as he is reluctant to move to nose tackle in a 3-4 and is not taking part in offseason activities. Shanahan's initial meeting with Haynesworth did not go well, according to sources, and the coach is trying to break the culture of players being too empowered at Redskins Park. Haynesworth also has a strained relationship with many teammates in Washington, and dealing the defensive tackle would endear Shanahan to the locker room, according to team sources.

League sources believe the Titans would take Haynesworth back at the right price. Tennessee tried to retain him in free agency, but bowed out when the Redskins signed him to a record contract worth roughly $42 million guaranteed. Shanahan and Titans coach Jeff Fisher are also close friends, which could aid the completion of a deal.

The Redskins are also continuing to look at defensive linemen, and are strongly interested in acquiring Adam Carriker from St. Louis, as we first reported weeks ago, a deal that could also well be concluded by the draft.

There is the article, he has a $21M bonus coming to him this month, which is just an insane amount of money.

Just out of curiosity what teams do you guys support? I'm a Cowboys fan.

I'm a Bears fan. Though I also have a soft spot for the Texans, who I wish I'd get to see more.

Same here, even though I'm a Titans fan, I really like the Texans, specially Andre Johnson.

Any news on Brandon Marshall? He was talked about during the first weeked on the FA, since then, nothing.