UFC News and Discussion Thread

Hyped up for the show, actually loving the card. Looking forward to the entire main card, of course the Silva fight the most. The guy is coming off of a criticised performance, not to mention all the trash talking from Sonnen. Seriously expecting a demolition in the first round. If Sonnen doesn't take it to the ground from the first bell, I cant see him surviving long. Then again, that's a great thing, because he's a nob and Silva is :wub:

And surely I've waited long enough to see Nelson get fucked up. I've just got a bad feeling though that he'll find a way to overcome JDS.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Since Alves had trouble with the weight cut, I could see him having trouble getting back up and Fitch being able to exploit that.

Really MMA needs to switch to having weigh-ins right before the event to stop fighters from practically killing themselves for a slight size advantage.

Since Alves had trouble with the weight cut, I could see him having trouble getting back up and Fitch being able to exploit that.

Really MMA needs to switch to having weigh-ins right before the event to stop fighters from practically killing themselves for a slight size advantage.

No, Just no.

You risk the health of the fighters as you will have them cutting weight for weigh-ins just hours before a fight, ad they will be dehydrated and more prone to problems in the cage and you would have more fighters gassing out in the first round.

That is not a solution at all, its dangerous and risks the excitement of the sport as well.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

No, Just no.

You risk the health of the fighters as you will have them cutting weight for weigh-ins just hours before a fight, ad they will be dehydrated and more prone to problems in the cage and you would have more fighters gassing out in the first round.

That is not a solution at all, its dangerous and risks the excitement of the sport as well.

Or you'd see the end of weight-cutting as fighters wouldn't be able to get up to a healthy weight before the fight, and even if they did they'd be so exhausted that they wouldn't stand a chance, so they'd stop trying to do it in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm with Mongrel on the Alves/Fitch debate. Alves hasn't done anything since losing to GSP, and now he can't even make weight, yet if he beats Jon Fitch he gets another title shot? IMO, if either Shields or Kampmann win this next one, they should get a shot, or at least face the winner of Alves / Fitch to determine who should face GSP.

Notice how I just said GSP? That's because I can't wait for him to tear Koscheck a new one.

Also, I totally loved how Silva acted during the staredown between him and Sonnen. Sonnen looked like he'd been punked out.

Also, that guy facing Skyscrapper? He's fucking huge.

Sports men and fighters in particular will always try and gain any advantage they can. They wouldn't stop cutting weight, they would just cut weight to whenever the weigh-ins are. Weigh-ins are done the same in Boxing, why be different from other combat sports?

Why not have more weight classes so weight advantage isn't such a problem? when you have 15-20lbs or more between weight classes then you can have a major differences in size between weight classes, if ll the weight classes were 5lbs to 10lbs apart you wouldn't see the severity of weight cutting (in all likelihood).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Sports men and fighters in particular will always try and gain any advantage they can. They wouldn't stop cutting weight, they would just cut weight to whenever the weigh-ins are. Weigh-ins are done the same in Boxing, why be different from other combat sports?

Why not have more weight classes so weight advantage isn't such a problem? when you have 15-20lbs or more between weight classes then you can have a major differences in size between weight classes, if ll the weight classes were 5lbs to 10lbs apart you wouldn't see the severity of weight cutting (in all likelihood).

What? Alves will be walking into the cage somewhere above 190. If he won't stop cutting at 185 now, why would he stop cutting at 180 if a 180 class was introduced? Fighters will always cut to the lowest possible weight, because as you said, they want every competitive advantage possible.

Having weigh-ins a couple of hours before the show takes away that competitive advantage, because fighters don't have 24 hours to hydrate back up...if they do a quick rehydration in an hour or two, their bodies won't be in any sort of competitive fighting shape, so they won't bother trying and will gravitate towards a more natural weight class!

• Like 1

How many times has Alves missed weight now? Atleast it wasn't as bad as when he fought Hughes that was down right stupid.

I'm looking forward to this card and hopefully actually gonna be able to see it live as the past few cards i've either been away, cba stayin up till 6am or fell asleep.

I'm with Mongrel on the Alves/Fitch debate. Alves hasn't done anything since losing to GSP, and now he can't even make weight, yet if he beats Jon Fitch he gets another title shot? IMO, if either Shields or Kampmann win this next one, they should get a shot, or at least face the winner of Alves / Fitch to determine who should face GSP.

Notice how I just said GSP? That's because I can't wait for him to tear Koscheck a new one.

Also, I totally loved how Silva acted during the staredown between him and Sonnen. Sonnen looked like he'd been punked out.

Also, that guy facing Skyscrapper? He's fucking huge.

White already said if Shields has a better performance than Fitch/Alves, he'd get the first shot. And as for White saying if Alves wins he gets a shot, who's so say he will keep that promise now? He's always said he doesn't reward people who miss weight. He doesn't give them bonuses if the miss weight (with the exception of Anthony Johnson on a card that was full of changes due to injuries). So he can easily say that since he didn't make weight that he won't give the shot to Alves if he wins. But then again I am sure Fitch will win this fight anyways so it's going to be a non-issue.

What? Alves will be walking into the cage somewhere above 190. If he won't stop cutting at 185 now, why would he stop cutting at 180 if a 180 class was introduced? Fighters will always cut to the lowest possible weight, because as you said, they want every competitive advantage possible.

Having weigh-ins a couple of hours before the show takes away that competitive advantage, because fighters don't have 24 hours to hydrate back up...if they do a quick rehydration in an hour or two, their bodies won't be in any sort of competitive fighting shape, so they won't bother trying and will gravitate towards a more natural weight class!

The argument is that they still wouldn't stop trying, so the day-before weigh-ins are more to protect the fighters from themselves than anything. I'm not sure which side I fall on, personally, but I also don't find the weight discrepancies to be much of a problem anyway. It's all part of the sport to me.

Also, I will die laughing if Kos beats GSP.

Edited by Indie913

Did Biggz say 105 was good or bad? I can't remember. I remember agreeing with him at the time, though, at least mentally. Just that 105 was such a throwaway PPV anyway, no one cared about it.

I remember him saying that Couture vs Vera was a good main event. Most of us (of course) disagreed with him.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The argument is that they still wouldn't stop trying, so the day-before weigh-ins are more to protect the fighters from themselves than anything. I'm not sure which side I fall on, personally, but I also don't find the weight discrepancies to be much of a problem anyway. It's all part of the sport to me.

Also, I will die laughing if Kos beats GSP.

Which is a valid point, but I think most fighters will be able to figure out the flaw in that plan after trying it once.

That is one of the things why I prefer MMA than Boxing. I dislike that Pacquiao has like 7 different Championships in 7 different Weight Classes when they are just separated by one or two pounds. There's no point in having 3 weight classes from 165 to 170 pounds. Still, I enjoy watching Pacquiaodestroy everyone in different classes.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Keep in mind the level of competition...I really don't know where he can go next, it's not like he's anywhere near even the Diego Sanchez level anymore.

Exciting show so far though, Dos Santos looked great but Nelson was just unflappable.