UFC News and Discussion Thread

I liked MMA Junkie's text commentary.

Couture tries again for the arm-triangle choke, and this time Toney is flat on his back. It's deep, and that's that. Toney waves for help rather than tap. Didn't even get that right.

I can't decide if BJ Penn looks more bored or stoned half the time.

It looked like he wanted to wait for Edgar to punch himself out, and then went, "Oh, shit, this is the last round already?"

In other news, Dana White officially gave boxing a raised middle finger by feeding Toney to Couture. If he wants a serious "UFC v. Boxing" fight, he needs to reach out to Money May, since he's obviously nervous about messing with Pacquiao.

Maybe Mayweather v. Penn could get BJ to look like he gives a shit.

• Like 3

The whole UFC vs Boxing thing will always lean towards UFC and tonight showed why, No boxer is good off of his feet

Except for, y'know, in boxing.

It's pretty silly to make a value judgment on an athlete competing outside his sport.

It's like saying the Magic will always be better than the Marlins because they score more points.

• Like 2

The streak continues!

I missed the show. :P

Reading Meltzer's review, it sounds like it was for the best. Still, anything worth DLing?

Thank goodness. You said yesterday that you were just starting to get into it. Based on what I've read of the play by play, this was the worst event of the year.

I'd download Couture/Toney for the enjoyment, as well as Diaz/Davis as it came off as a pretty good fight.

At least the good thing about this event was that all the right people won. Edgar proved that the rematch was a bullshit call, Couture showed that boxers should not do MMA but stay with boxing and Diaz showed why Cear Gracie Jiu Jitsu is awesome. I liked this event, even if the fights were a bit on the dull side. I loved seeing Edgar slamming Penn, that was a thing of beauty.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Nowhere near as good as the last couple big UFC shows, but let's keep it in perspective, this was miles ahead of the Abu Dhabi card. And Penn/Edgar was a lot more entertaining than Maia/Miranda or Florian/Maynard.

The whole UFC vs Boxing thing will always lean towards UFC and tonight showed why, No boxer is good off of his feet

Except for, y'know, in boxing.

It's pretty silly to make a value judgment on an athlete competing outside his sport.

It's like saying the Magic will always be better than the Marlins because they score more points.

I get your point, but it doesn't really work because (some) boxers claim their sport is more indicative of a real fight. MMA's much closer to that description. A hybrid MMA fighter will almost always beat a one-dimensional boxer (or jiujitsu ace, or kickboxing champ) under MMA rules, but not under the other guy's home discipline. It's more like saying so-and-so is a better basketball player because he'd win a game of HORSE, even if the HORSE winner would be clueless at ball control, teamwork, and defence.

Enjoyed seeing Joe Lauzon turn it up and deliver that great performance. Diaz/Davis was okay, nothing special. Poor performance by Kenny Florian, Gray Maynard did his job right by making Florian chase him but Florian couldn't get anything going and Maynard was the better man this night. So we'll be see Edgar vs. Maynard 2 and hopefully Edgar evens out that series at one a piece. Maia's fight was boring as hell. Loved seeing Randy submit Toney. And Edgar beating Penn for five straight rounds was nice to see as well and proved that his first win was not a fluke victory. Good job by him. But overall, not the best show in the world.

At this moment, ESPN Streak for the Cash participants have the following opinions:

93.4% expect Florian to beat Maynard

70.5% do not expect a first-round Randy win

98.2% do not expect Penn/Edgar to go the distance.

:lmao:

• Like 1

BJ Penn (N) I watched a pre-fight interview with Ariel Helwani and BJ was smiling and jumping around at being in Boston, talking about how Frankie was better than him last time, but that he trained hard and was gonna win the fight at 118. Where did that enthusiasm go? Even his corner were out of it, "You've got this cocksucker" or something like that :huh:

Edited by Ty123

Guest Mr. Potato Head

BJ Penn (N) I watched a pre-fight interview with Ariel Helwani and BJ was smiling and jumping around at being in Boston, talking about how Frankie was better than him last time, but that he trained hard and was gonna win the fight at 118. Where did that enthusiasm go? Even his corner were out of it, "You've got this cocksucker" or something like that :huh:

BJ just looked really, really old to me.