UFC News and Discussion Thread

Shogun is one bad motherfucker. Jones needs to be absolutely on-point for that fight, or else the hype train will get derailed, and quick.

He has a ready made excuse in that he took the fight at short(ish) notice. It's really a no-lose situation, if he loses, he has that excuse and he is young enough and frighteningly talented enough to get back up to the top later on and if he wins, then he is some kind of freakish manbeast that will destroy all in his path.

Shogun is one bad motherfucker. Jones needs to be absolutely on-point for that fight, or else the hype train will get derailed, and quick.

He has a ready made excuse in that he took the fight at short(ish) notice. It's really a no-lose situation, if he loses, he has that excuse and he is young enough and frighteningly talented enough to get back up to the top later on and if he wins, then he is some kind of freakish manbeast that will destroy all in his path.

Oh, no doubt he will consistently be in the title picture for the next ten years win or lose. I just don't see Jones being able to stand with Rua and, while he might take him down, Rua's sub skills are pretty damn good.

Guest mr. potato head

It's funny how quickly and how often Rua rebounds from BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD to GOD HE'S OVERRATED and back. Rua stylistically matched up very well against Machida. I think wrestlers give him more trouble, so Jones certainly has a chance.

It's funny how quickly and how often Rua rebounds from BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD to GOD HE'S OVERRATED and back. Rua stylistically matched up very well against Machida. I think wrestlers give him more trouble, so Jones certainly has a chance.

I don't think Jones stands a chance in a stand up fight. His footwork and technique is just too sluggish and unrefined yet to handle someone like Rua who, if he doesn't knock him the fuck out, will most certainly chop his leading leg to pieces. Having said that, I'll be very surprised if Jones can't get Rua down, but it isn't like Rua doesn't have a great ground game or anything. Jones definitely has a chance, but Rua should be the favorite going into this fight.

Speaking of which, is the money line still in Jones's favor? Because that's pretty ridiculous; I might bet that on principle alone.

I agree about Jones being in a no-lose situation. I'm pulling for Shogun for that reason, I'd love to see this turn into another Randy vs. Chuck scenario.

Chuck was the monster who was tearing through everyone in front of him, until he met Randy, the seasoned veteran who stopped him in his tracks.

Chuck bounced back smashed a couple more guys, got his rematch, and won essentially receiving the torch from Randy in doing so, or at least in the LHW ranks.

I realize comparing Jon Jones and Chuck Liddell is silly, I'm more comparing the scenarios and hoping that this plays out the exact same way.

Edited by bill_da_bill

I don't think Jones stands a chance in a stand up fight. His footwork and technique is just too sluggish and unrefined yet to handle someone like Rua who, if he doesn't knock him the fuck out, will most certainly chop his leading leg to pieces. Having said that, I'll be very surprised if Jones can't get Rua down, but it isn't like Rua doesn't have a great ground game or anything. Jones definitely has a chance, but Rua should be the favorite going into this fight.

Speaking of which, is the money line still in Jones's favor? Because that's pretty ridiculous; I might bet that on principle alone.

I wouldn't agree what so ever. It's just like the people who thought Bader would out wrestle Jones and look how that turned out. I don't see why you think Rua has this massive advantage standing. Jones is a god damn beast in almost every single department and at his age it's just scary. I made the mistake of giving Rua little chance against Machida in fairness, but I still think this fight is leaning towards Jones right now. Gazz was spot on though, it's kind of a win/win situation for him, because it shouldn't hurt him too much even if he was to lose.

I wouldn't agree what so ever. It's just like the people who thought Bader would out wrestle Jones and look how that turned out. I don't see why you think Rua has this massive advantage standing. Jones is a god damn beast in almost every single department and at his age it's just scary. I made the mistake of giving Rua little chance against Machida in fairness, but I still think this fight is leaning towards Jones right now. Gazz was spot on though, it's kind of a win/win situation for him, because it shouldn't hurt him too much even if he was to lose.

Nah. You're either severely underrating Rua or overrating Jones in the stand-up department (or both?); I can't see him standing much of a chance against the whirling dervish of strikes that is Shogun. He's not there yet.

The only aspects of Jones's game that are clearly superior than Rua's is the wrestling and the takedowns. Possibly ground control, by virtue of how freakishly big and strong the dude is - Jones is basically a Heavyweight pretending to be a 205er.

Guest mr. potato head

Shogun is the better striker, no doubt about it, but Jones has his freakish reach advantage and wrestling skills, which mean he should be able to spend lots of his standing time in clinches, negating that striking disadvantage.

Shogun is the better striker, no doubt about it, but Jones has his freakish reach advantage and wrestling skills, which mean he should be able to spend lots of his standing time in clinches, negating that striking disadvantage.

I can't see Jones wanting to clinch up with Rua and those knees of his, personally. He definitely has a crazy reach, though. His best shot is to take him down and cave his face in without getting trapped in a submission.

Either way, It'll be one hell of a fight. That's for sure.

In other news:

Chael Sonnen Wants To Face Michael Bisping Next in the UFC

Posted on February 28, 2011 by Damon Martin

Michael Bisping’s actions at UFC 127 earned him a victory, but it also may have prodded a hornet’s nest. The one looking to sting the Brit next is a returning Chael Sonnen.

Still considered the top middleweight contender in the UFC, MMAWeekly.com was able obtain an email sent from Sonnen to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva requesting a fight against Bisping in the near future.

To: Joe Silva, Matchmaker Extraordinaire, Ultimate Fighting Championship

Re: Spitsbing & his tainted victory

Joe:

If you get a chance to talk with him, please mention to your idiot-in-residence Michael Spitsbing it’ll be a little tougher to knee ME in the head when I’m charging at him like a runaway train and mincing him through the fence like a boiled potato, should we ever have the pleasure of each other’s company for a few (VERY few) moments in the Octagon.

Oh; and I’d suggest to him being a little careful about spitting on any of MY cornermen, since any one of them can beat him up as badly as I can. Thanks ever so much.

Hope all is well.

-Chael Sonnen

When UFC 127 ended, many fans immediately started asking about a potential fight between Sonnen and Bisping, who have exchanged words in the past.

Sonnen’s manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc., echoed the sentiments of his client, and his desire to face Bisping when he returns to action.

“I’ve had the chance to talk to Chael and he absolutely has Michael Bisping in his crosshairs and wants to fight him,” Roberts told MMAWeekly.com “Chael welcomes the chance to face him in the UFC and give the fans what they want.”

Sonnen is awaiting a return to action after a hiatus from fighting due to personal issues, but now it appears he’s ready to start stirring things up, and the first person on his hit list is Michael Bisping.

The brash Brit ruffled more than a few feathers with his post fight antics when he spit in the corner of opponent Jorge Rivera after their fight ended in Australia. Bisping has also come under heavy criticism for an illegal knee strike that he landed on Rivera in the first round, although he’s stated several times it was purely accidental.

Vitor Belfort also hit Twitter recently to state his desire to face Bisping.

There has been no date for when Sonnen might return to action, but a fight against Bisping might just be the fight the UFC would want for him.

http://mmaweekly.com/chael-sonnen-wants-to-face-michael-bisping-next-in-the-ufc

Face turn for Sonnen~!? He's the lesser of two evils here, at least. I can't see how he doesn't destroy Bisping if this match goes through, which is a great way for him to get himself back into the title picture.. if he doesn't get himself in a prison cell first.

Edited by Mysterio2000X