UFC News and Discussion Thread

Why does there need to be a major competitor promotion? There is nothing out there competing with NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA. Those are all the major league of their sport. UFC is the major league of MMA. Bellator and all the promotions running on HDNet would be considered the minor leagues of MMA. That's how it should be. You don't need a lot of promotions and many world titles. One promotion, one world title per weight class. That's how it belongs. Look at boxing and all those world titles they created, it's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Guest mr. potato head

dude is seriously the Vince McMahon of MMA. Who is the competition now? fucking Bellator? ugh.

To be fair, Bellator's bigger now than Strikeforce was when they became the #2.

I do agree with you that I don't like the UFC monopoly though. It makes good business sense, but it's horrible for the fighters, and really not even good for the fans - if all the dream matches can be put on in UFC, then UFC will put on all the dream matches, then we'll be left without any dream matches. "Top challenger vs. Long-reigning champion" doesn't excite people as much as "#1 company's best vs. #2 company's best".

EDIT: Wait when the fuck did FACEBOOK start webcrawling?

I'm cool with it, but I don't see MMA as pro-wrestling, I see it as NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc., it's a sport. I don't want to see Peyton Manning and the Colts play in one league and Tom Brady and the Pats play in another and always wonder what would happen if they played each other. I wanna see them play each other cause it's going to be a damn good football game most of the time.

I worry about UFC raising prices, doing less free shows, etc, since they're the only game in town, but I have to think they're smart enough to realize that they still have to cater to the fans. I don't really see the downside to all of this. The only thing I can see is that certain guys might get lost in the shuffle and never get a chance to make the top if the two groups do eventually merge and the rosters get bloated. So in that sense I'd like Strikeforce to stay around and maybe eventually become like a minor league promotion for UFC.

As for Daley he's being idiot. This is a huge fight for him. Where is he gonna go if he leaves?

• Like 2

I'm cool with it, but I don't see MMA as pro-wrestling, I see it as NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc., it's a sport. I don't want to see Peyton Manning and the Colts play in one league and Tom Brady and the Pats play in another and always wonder what would happen if they played each other. I wanna see them play each other cause it's going to be a damn good football game most of the time.

I worry about UFC raising prices, doing less free shows, etc, since they're the only game in town, but I have to think they're smart enough to realize that they still have to cater to the fans. I don't really see the downside to all of this. The only thing I can see is that certain guys might get lost in the shuffle and never get a chance to make the top if the two groups do eventually merge and the rosters get bloated. So in that sense I'd like Strikeforce to stay around and maybe eventually become like a minor league promotion for UFC.

As for Daley he's being idiot. This is a huge fight for him. Where is he gonna go if he leaves?

I agree that there are worries and some of them are being voiced here and I appreciate despite my positive attitude that this will not be everyone's cup of tea, however less free shows are unlikely as even Dana himself has said that the UFC has reached saturation with 15 events on PPV a year, he he has been trying to enter the premium cable market to offer more fights for a few years, but he has always said that they will produce the event and do not want to give up any creative control to sign with a network, he has so far held to this while other organisations have aquiesed and even been partially controlled by their tv networks, eg Strikeforce

I love the move for the sport, I hate it for the fighters. The UFC will be able to basically regulate how much money the major players get (outside of, well, Brock Lesnar, who will always have Vince to fall back on), but like someone else said - MMA is not professional wrestling. I want all of the best fighting each other as much as possible, and this is one major leap towards that, even if the true ramifications of this purchase won't be felt until a year or two from now.

And make no mistake about it - Strikeforce is not long for this world. As soon as it becomes legally possible (or fiscally responsible) to dissolve it and absorb the fighters they deem worthy of fighting in the UFC, they will pull the plug. It makes no sense to finance their own competition, and if Dana White is at all serious about running at least one show per week all over the world (under the UFC banner), it likewise doesn't make much sense to keep a feeder promotion around as they'll need the able bodies, though SF will definitely serve that purpose from now until it's gone.

And yes, Zuffa now basically owns 95% of the entirety of the MMA video library worth owning. Hell, they could probably run their own channel at this point, since they just have SO MUCH footage at their disposal.

I agree that there are worries and some of them are being voiced here and I appreciate despite my positive attitude that this will not be everyone's cup of tea, however less free shows are unlikely as even Dana himself has said that the UFC has reached saturation with 15 events on PPV a year, he he has been trying to enter the premium cable market to offer more fights for a few years, but he has always said that they will produce the event and do not want to give up any creative control to sign with a network, he has so far held to this while other organisations have aquiesed and even been partially controlled by their tv networks, eg Strikeforce

Yup. The UFC is the ultimate niche sport in this hemisphere; they do terrific business all on their own, it makes no sense to enter a contract with a network who wants to meddle in the booking of the shows. As soon as either side can end the current Strikeforce/Showtime contract, they will - it likewise makes no sense for Showtime to promote and produce shows for what is basically now their competition. Alongside the fighters' free agency market, they're the biggest losers in this.

And something that I haven't seen anybody posted yet - Bellator's women division(s) will be STACKED once SF goes under. Can't imagine Dana White opening up Women's divisions for the UFC.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Oh hey, I have one even better.

ALISTAIR

FUCKING

OVEREEM

IN THE UFC

Goodbye, any future Heavyweight title reigns for anyone else but him.

Reem/Velasquez. Bring it.

Jacare is another one I'm dying to see in the UFC. He will grapple-fuck and sub his way to Anderson Silva (and then not fight him because they're from the same camp, lolz). Oh, and Melendez. Dude is young, talented, Mexican AND marketable. Cha-ching!

Why does there need to be a major competitor promotion? There is nothing out there competing with NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA. Those are all the major league of their sport. UFC is the major league of MMA.

All other professional sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB) that have monopolies also have teams that compete for talent. UFC will now own, directly or indirectly, all of the talent. It's slightly different.

Granted though, I don't think it will be a such a nail in the coffin to the business like it was when WWF bought WCW, for instance. It's a different scenario and a different industry. However, it will probably have some negative effects but the UFC aren't stupid and they have been smart at branding themselves over the past decade. So with that said, the industry probably won't suffer, IMO.

Edited by Universal
  • Like 1

All other professional sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB) that have monopolies also have teams that compete for talent. UFC will now own, directly or indirectly, all of the talent. It's slightly different.

As well, those sports all have unions. Before player unions, most professional athletes had to work real jobs in the offseason. Without competition or a fighters union, this is terrible news for anyone who wants to make a career out of Mixed Martial Arts. This will hurt the fighters in the short term, and if no viable #2 rises from the ashes, it will hurt the sport in the long term.

Just to get away from too much hyperbole and doom-mongering from all corners on the UFC/Strikeforce topic:

The UFC was originally founded by Rorion Gracie to showcase his family's jiu jitsu style. Rorion's younger brother Royce was the family's handpicked champion and he did not disappoint, winning the tournaments at UFC 1, 2, and 4 and compiling an overall UFC record of 11-1-1 in his initial run with his only loss coming by way of forfeit.

Ever since the UFC announced it would return to Rio de Janeiro in August of this year, speculation has been rife that the 45 year old Royce may return to the Octagon for the first time since his loss to Matt Hughes at UFC 60 in 2006.

Now MMA Junkie talks to Royce's manager and puts some meat on those rumor bones:

Three-time UFC tournament champion and UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie (14-3-3 MMA, 11-1-2 UFC) is in continuing negotiations with the promotion to appear in a retirement fight at the Brazilian event, which is expected to take place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

Mike Kogan, the U.S. representative for the Japan-based Fighting and Entertainment Group (FEG) and Gracie's longtime manager, today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the news.

Although negotiations are far from over, Kogan said he and Gracie are talking directly with UFC president Dana White and UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta about the prospect of bringing the 44-year-old MMA legend back into the octagon one last name against a specific - but undisclosed - opponent.

It would be fitting for the legendary Gracie to have his retirement bout in Rio in the promotion he did as much as any fighter to build. The opponent should be picked carefully, my first choice would be a rubber match against Gracie's rival Kazushi Sakuraba.