UFC News and Discussion Thread

But then the Athletic Commissions in North America would not agree to license him as they would see it as a circumvention of the ruling. Face it while under Zuffa contract the man is not going to be fighting for at least 10 to 11 months.

Would he be tested during this time? If so, fucking roid up for a few months, then just train train train for the rest. :shifty:

I don't know.

But if you are suggesting that the use of performance enhancing drugs is acceptable.... No.

Guest mr. potato head

Lombard's a good signing. I suspect he'll turn out to be more on the level of a Bisping or Mayhem than a legitimate title contender, but it'll be nice to see him against actual competition.

Overeem is being banned from applying for a license to fight anywhere by The NSAC for the next 9 months, so the next time he can apply for any fight license it will be the end of the year.

Technically that's not true. He can apply wherever he wants, but if he does, Nevada's extending their ban to a year.

And to be honest, if he applies elsewhere they will just Look at Nevada's ruling and the debacle surrounding it and say "Sorry Mr Overeem"

Would you not agree?

You'd like to think so, but Texas licensed Sonnen so nothing's guaranteed. And it doesn't stop him from fighting in Japan or other non-commission jurisdictions - it would be career suicide, yes, but he's not actually banned from it.

Apparently Bellator decided not to match UFC's (big) offer for Lombard. I guess that makes the chance of Alvarez going to the UFC a lot bigger too... Both Lombard and Alvarez needed to fight in the UFC once anyway... nobody wants another Emelianenko-situation.

And really... for Bellator I don't think it's that big of a deal anyway, especially with Lombard. They had real trouble finding him any decent competition and him destroying other middleweight tournament winners (aka Shlemenko) doesn't really help them either. Shlemenko will now face Spang or Falcao for the vacant title and for these fighters... a Bellator title could really help their 'status' (which it doesn't imho for Lombard). The situation with Alvarez is different as he's not the lightweight champ (and at least has one competitive fight left against Chandler).

Guest mr. potato head

Apparently Bellator decided not to match UFC's (big) offer for Lombard. I guess that makes the chance of Alvarez going to the UFC a lot bigger too... Both Lombard and Alvarez needed to fight in the UFC once anyway... nobody wants another Emelianenko-situation.

Really? It's good for the UFC to have top fighters outside their organization, because when they do eventually make their way to UFC, people think they're a lot better than they are and they therefore draw more money. "Who's really better?" debates are always a good thing, and MMA and pro wrestling have both shown us that people are more interested in having the debate than in actually getting an answer.

Really? It's good for the UFC to have top fighters outside their organization, because when they do eventually make their way to UFC, people think they're a lot better than they are and they therefore draw more money. "Who's really better?" debates are always a good thing, and MMA and pro wrestling have both shown us that people are more interested in having the debate than in actually getting an answer.

Euhr, agreed... but you do say yourself: 'when they do eventually make their way to the UFC'. Emelianenko didn't (when he maybe should have). Do you really want a guy like Lombard retiring before even having fought in the UFC? Then you'll never know how good he really was. I agree that there should be top fighters outside of the UFC... but I also think they should eventually make their way into the UFC (as long as there is only one really big organisation that is).