UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Faber's still a good fighter. As good as Barao is, he wasn't able to do anything more than outpoint Faber. He might not be a title challenger, but he can still draw for fights and transition into a bit of a gatekeeper role, if he wants to.

Faber's still a good fighter. As good as Barao is, he wasn't able to do anything more than outpoint Faber. He might not be a title challenger, but he can still draw for fights and transition into a bit of a gatekeeper role, if he wants to.

So basically, Faber is Tito without the excuses and massive losing streak?

I'm strangely ok with that.

For me Faber can do one of two things:

1) The Gatekeeper role previously mentioned.

2) Get a couple of wins under his belt in to early 2013, this sets up the trilogy fight with Cruz (Whether it be the for the belt or not depending on the Barao/Cruz situation), and then the result of that will show us where Faber really sits in the division. This, in all likelihood, will be just behind the top level bantamweights.

There is still interest in the Cruz/Faber trilogy, if Cruz comes back and keeps the title all Faber will need is a couple of wins. If Cruz loses, the fight with Faber can be set no problem.

I don't know why, but I found this to be hilarious.

Jacob Volkmann doesn’t follow MMA as closely as some fighters do, but he made a point to watch UFC 149 on Saturday to root against Hector Lombard.

He’d trained with the Cuban middleweight last year at American Top Team, and from what Volkmann says, the session didn’t go too well.

“My teammate had a fight down in Florida,” Volkmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I went to train at ATT, which is a great gym. I have nothing against that gym. I just had a beef with Hector Lombard.”

Lombard was an Olympic judoka for Cuba who entered UFC 149 with 20 straight wins. Volkmann, a lightweight who has competed in the UFC at 170 pounds, was a three-time All-American wrestler at the University of Minnesota.

“It was grappling time, and he asked me to wrestle him,” Volkmann said. “I was like, ‘Alright, whatever.’ So I went over and we got our own little mat area like the size of a circle on a regular mat. We started wrestling. I was doing collar ties, and then all of a sudden, he karate chopped me in the side of the neck. I was like, ‘Alright.’ I didn’t know what the hell was going on, but he didn’t like what I was doing.”

Volkmann said the two kept wrestling, and things got worse.

“I didn’t really take any shots because I felt that he was kind of a spaz,” Volkmann said. “Then all of a sudden, he pushes me away and punches me in the face with no gloves on or nothing. I had a fight in three weeks. I was fighting Danny Castillo in three weeks. I was like, ‘Aw, Jesus.’ He wanted to fight me right there and then, right in the gym. There was one of his coaches there that had to stop it.”

To Volkmann’s delight, Lombard lost Saturday in his UFC debut, dropping a split decision to Tim Boetsch. The Minnesotan wasn’t too impressed with his performance either. He hesitated to predict how a fight with Lombard would unfold, but his confidence grew after the weekend.

“Judging from his last UFC fight,” Volkmann said, “I think I could take him.”

Frank "Ghost Dog" Mir to face Daniel "Black Fedor" Cormier in Strikeforce.

Surprised by this news. Wasn't Sylvia going to face Cormier? Maybe Sylvia is going to face Barnett then...

Until "Beast Mode" opened his big yap he was, I would love to see him against Barnett, mainly so I can see a live spine break from Barnett slamming Timmay into the ground.

Like against BJ Penn, Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Marius Zaromskis, Takanori Gomi and Robbie Lawler?

All of these guys are or were more noted for their striking than Diaz when they fought him, all have lost to Nick.

Anderson vs Nick Diaz is a fight that would draw a lot of interest if it were to happen, but I agree in that I just can't see past Anderson in this one.

• Like 1

Like against BJ Penn, Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Marius Zaromskis, Takanori Gomi and Robbie Lawler?

All of these guys are or were more noted for their striking than Diaz when they fought him, all have lost to Nick.

Anderson vs Nick Diaz is a fight that would draw a lot of interest if it were to happen, but I agree in that I just can't see past Anderson in this one.

I didn't watch MMA when he beat the last 2 guys listed but i called him beating the others pretty easy and he did, i think Nick Diaz is a great striker but he is no Anderson Silva