UFC News and Discussion Thread

As much as I disliked the decision, I figured at the end of the fight that they were going to give it to Lawler. It tends to happen when you leave it in the hands of the judges, and that final round was fresh and it's where Robbie really poured it on. I had Condit ahead on every level but figured that last round would screw him over.

While I kind of hate it, the mentality, more so with the judges, is that to be the champion you have to beat the champion, so in that instance the challenger has to do so much more than the champion to win a decision, if there is even an element of doubt the normal thing for the judges to do is to score it for the champ.

• Like 2

He's not vacating his belt, at least not yet. I doubt he will, and I kind of don't want him to.

Every report of it I've seen says this is the first time a UFC champion has moved up a weight class to challenge for a belt, without vacating his current championship. Didn't BJ do it in 2009, though? 

He did at UFC 94 in 2009, so yeah, media reports are dumb.

Martin Kampwho? retired officially last week after not having a fight since 2013.  He was taking a hiatus for a variety of injuries including concussion related issues, I am happy to see him go if this means he stays healthier as he gets older, the guy was in some wars in the late 2000's/early 2010's

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forky The Snowman said:

I never thought about this when McGregor/Dos Anjos was announced but my man Frankie gets screwed once again. :( 

Frankie Edgar, may be on a five fight streak but lost his last 3 title fights, that's the issue, it's a struggle to see how he competes in a title fight, and McGregor vs dos Anjos is a bigger, money making fight.

During a Nevada Athletic Commission hearing Tuesday, the commission reduced Nick Diaz's penalty for a marijuana drug test failure back at UFC 183 to 18 months down from five years, and a $100,000 fine, down from $165,000. He is eligible to return starting in August of this year.

I know none of you will agree with me because most of you like Diaz and I find him to be the human form of dog feces, but this just annoys me. What's the point in having more extreme punishment for repeat offenders (regardless of the failure) if they just bow to public pressure? It should have been three years minimum and I have no idea why the fine got decreased.

• Like 1

Because it's a bullshit thing to ban a fighter for? I've seen Joe Rogan rabbit on about how marijuana gives him focus and allows him to train harder and concentrate better, much the same way I've seen pot-heads say it makes them better drivers or gives them close to 'the force'. If he was stoned during the fight it would be an issue, but unless I missed something nobody has even suggested it. 

In comparison the guy he was fighting was on PED's and was given a one year suspension (compared to Diaz's five years). No matter how you dress it up the punishments don't add up.

You can say it was for repeat offences, but if I shoplift 5 times should I then be given a harsher sentence than someone who holds a store up with a gun and assaults the shop owner?

Edit. Beyond which he passed two tests and failed the third, the failing test was actually the middle test - taken 77 minutes before one which came back clean. The failing test was done in a non-WADA approved lab and there are questions about the chain of custody for it. The NSAC claim the last test (which he passed) was diluted, but the only way that would work is if he'd drunk 30 glasses of water in 77 minutes. The whole thing is weird.

Edited by Quom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Benkid Nada said:

I don't think the drugs had anything to do with his performance that night. That was just Nick being Nick.

He usually taunts and stuff but this didn't seem like typical Nick to me. I just felt like he was enough putting forth the effort to even taunt him like he normally would.