UFC News and Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, WE'VE GOT AMOND! said:

Have you ever watched a Mark Hunt fight? I mean, his kicks are generally against the legs and his knockouts are generally by punch, I don't care how tall you are, Mark Hunt punching you in the face will suck.

I never said anything about Hunt having trouble punching Lesnar, and I even made a point of saying that Hunt's overhand right is his most dangerous weapon and that Brock had to avoid it. I was talking about Hunt's kicks and the problems that throwing them may cause him given his height in relation to Brock and how that could play into Brock taking Hunt down. It's strange how you never once tried to discuss that particular point, and instead resorted to sweeping generalizations and thinly disguised insults. It's almost as if you couldn't argue against a point you didn't agree with and needed to find a way to deal with the cognitive dissonance that created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince Russo said:

I never said anything about Hunt having trouble punching Lesnar, and I even made a point of saying that Hunt's overhand right is his most dangerous weapon and that Brock had to avoid it. I was talking about Hunt's kicks and the problems that throwing them may cause him given his height in relation to Brock and how that could play into Brock taking Hunt down. It's strange how you never once tried to discuss that particular point, and instead resorted to sweeping generalizations and thinly disguised insults. It's almost as if you couldn't argue against a point you didn't agree with and needed to find a way to deal with the cognitive dissonance that created.

Yeah, the height disadvantage is a huge deal.

Especially when he fought 7' Stefan Struve (And you can't teach that)

To be fair to his point, Struve doesn't take people down. 

I mean, it's still a dumb point, because it's about something almost insignificant in this fight. Brock's going to bullrush Hunt and try and take him down, so he's going to have to avoid those punches of Mark's that come from his waist and blast your face away.

4 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

I mean, it's still a dumb point, because it's about something almost insignificant in this fight. Brock's going to bullrush Hunt and try and take him down, so he's going to have to avoid those punches of Mark's that come from his waist and blast your face away.

He's won 4 of his 11 UFC wins by submission, before the UFC he had won 5 in a row by submission, 10 in 12 by submission in total before his UFC debut (16 out of 27 for his career). And he's a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (which granted, are handed out easier than toilet paper by the Gracies)

Struve is a dangerous ground fighter who can easily finish all but the best ground fighters in the sport. But the reason he doesn't go to the ground anymore is because he's seven feet tall (and you can't teach that), and his reach is better than any fighter not named Jon Jones.

Earlier on Struve also got caught out way too easy by people going inside (Mark Hunt) and negating that reach, but since his KO's to Hunt and Overeem he's become a lot smarter about using that insane reach to his advantage.

But Struve's biggest issue is still that he has a real lack in cage awareness, and that will always prevent him from being a contender.

Edited by Jasonmufc

What does him having submission wins have to do with his propensity to take people down? Condit has plenty of submission wins, too, you think he's busy taking people down? 

Also, I don't know what you mean that his reach is better than any fighter other than Jones, unless you mean that he has a longer reach than everyone else? In that case, you'd be right, but he's only 28 and has racked up so many miles on that chin of his already, so every time he gets caught by a fellow heavyweight it almost doesn't matter what he was doing before, since he doesn't have proper striking defense.

11 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Feel free to try and debate the point I made rather than resort to insults. Unless you're another one of those people who don't react well to points they can't argue with.

On 08/06/2016 at 12:24, EddieG said:

Yeah, the height disadvantage is a huge deal.

Especially when he fought 7' Stefan Struve (And you can't teach that)

Did you notice how you never once gave an actual counter to the point I made? Or was that intentional?

17 hours ago, Vince Russo said:

Feel free to try and debate the point I made rather than resort to insults. Unless you're another one of those people who don't react well to points they can't argue with.

What point did you make? About how Hunt kicking Brock could lead to Brock taking him down because he has short legs and Brock has a reach advantage on him? Yeah okay, so what? It's a moot point. Hunt rarely, kicks above the legs. Brock would have to reach down real low to catch those because Hunt usually kicks below the knee to set up his punches more than anything. Brock might try to move in off of them, but even if he does Hunt actually has pretty good takedown defense (69%), so he could potentially stop a lot of those. Brock would do well to just rush in off a barrage of punches, clinch, then change levels to achieve a takedown from there. 

So yeah, it seems more like you're the one who doesn't react well to arguments against points you've made, because people have been making points against your, once again, absolutely insignificant point about Hunt's kicks in a fight against Lesnar.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Walker said:

Are you legit Vince Russo?

Am I real or am I the real Vince Russo, because that's two totally different questions?

12 hours ago, Lint said:

It's a fair point to make, for a number of reasons. Brock may now be under the auspices of USADA for the purposes of drug testing, and has already been tested, but given that the benefits of steroid use can last long after that use has actually stopped, and USADA testing is far more stringent and the timing of the tests is more unpredictable than WWE's Wellness Policy, it's fair to query just how clean Brock is right now. If Brock was on anything that might cause a positive test, I expect he's long since tapered off and stopped using, but you can never be sure with these sorts of things. Add to that the fact that USADA have the power to test Brock at a moment's notice whenever they feel like it, and you wouldn't exactly be shocked if Brock tested positive for something before or even after the fight.

The question for the day is; Why was Chad Mendes flagged for a potential violation of USADA’s Anti-Doping Policy?

A: Chad has been using steroids to gain muscle or aid in the healing process.

B: Chad has been using diuretics to help with cutting weight.

C: Paul Heyman swapped the labels on Chad and Brock Lesnar’s samples.

1 hour ago, Vince Russo said:

The question for the day is; Why was Chad Mendes flagged for a potential violation of USADA’s Anti-Doping Policy?

A: Chad has been using steroids to gain muscle or aid in the healing process.

B: Chad has been using diuretics to help with cutting weight.

C: Paul Heyman swapped the labels on Chad and Brock Lesnar’s samples.

Answer: He took something he shouldn't

• Like 2

So 2 days ago Fedor apparently said he's closer than ever to signing with the UFC.

Just over half an hour ago UFC posted a Fedor fight on their youtube.

Can I finally go get excited about it for real?

A lot of new fights have been made;

Will Brooks makes his UFC debut against Ross Pearson at the TUF 23 final. Brooks is replacing James Krause

UFC Fight Night 92, which has a main event of Alex Caceres vs. Yair Rodriguez, now has five new fights;

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Cub Swanson

Court McGee vs. Dominique Steele

Zak Cummings vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio

Viktor Pesta vs. Marcin Tybura

Chris Camozzi vs. Thales Leites

Anthony Pettis debuts at featherweight against Charles Oliveira at the UFC Fight Night on August 27th

I’m very excited to see Brooks in the UFC. Bellator really did themselves a disserve in letting him go, especially as he was their lightweight champion. On a full camp, Brooks should beat Pearson, and whilst fighting on short notice would theoretically give Pearson an edge, short notice fighters have been coming up trumps a lot lately. Pettis doesn’t have an easy opponent for his featherweight debut, and Oliveira’s strengths, ground fighting, play right into where Pettis is the weakest, so I wouldn’t be shocked if Oliveira submits Pettis.

Has anyone else been watching TUF 23? Joanna and Claudia were said to have come to blows after filming ended, which wasn’t caught on cameras, and I’m inclined to believe it really did happen and isn’t some publicity stunt, because Joanna has been slowly cracking up from week after week with how her team have been performing. I really like Claudia’s chances in their rematch, now, especially with the way Joanna was openly complaining about how she’s being made to look bad in the editing process. I think Claudia is in her head in a big way.