UFC News and Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Tony Ferguson is back! For fuck sakes though, give him the winner of Khabib and Dustin.

For UK viewers, all numbered shows will now be on BT Sport PPV which sucks. I’m not going to pay £20 a pop each time. 

Ferg needs to just keep himself physically and mentally healthy to get that fight, he’s by far the most deserving for the shot!

£20 to watch something at 3am that was free to BT subscribers not long ago is a terrible move from them

There's no reason for them to care about increasing their fanbase when companies like ESPN and BT Sport are paying them buckets of cash just to maintain their own audience. US, Brazil, Canada and the U.K. are a lock for them, they're concentrating on growing their fanbase elsewhere right now. 

On 9 June 2019 at 22:45, mattu29 said:

Ferg needs to just keep himself physically and mentally healthy to get that fight, he’s by far the most deserving for the shot!

Watch as that end of the year card in Vegas gets Conor / Khabib 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woo, and there goes two weight divisions back into neutral gear since he's the champ of both divisions. Just wait for when he comes back and he'll defend his title against Faber or something ridiculous like that.

Also, Liz Carmouche getting a title shot in 2019 is wild.

BT won’t give a fuck about losing a few UFC fans now that they’ve got WWE.

Also fuck the contender series. Brendan Loughnane is arguably the best competitor they have ever had, and Dana refused him a contract because he shot for a takedown in the last ten seconds of a fight. Outrageous.

1 hour ago, Forky said:

Is it just me or is The Korean Zombie so much better since he came back from the military. I mean he was decent before he left but damn, he's impressed in his last couple fights.

Hard to say really, when it comes to his UFC tenure anyways. Only fought four times before leaving, going 3-1 - only loss coming to prime Aldo. Before that again, lost a controversial split call against Leonard Garcia, and to George Roop, who was pretty tricky.

Seriously impressive though in his last few fights, absolutely. He wants in on the November South Korea card. He wins that, I say give him a title shot. And holy fuck, give him a fight against someone like Calvin Kattar, would either guarantee a title contender, or give a huge boost to a rising star.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Baddar said:

UFC 239 is on BT Sport Box Office in the UK for £20, so naturally that isn't going down well. 

Unfortunately BT will get the WWE eyes when that deal starts, which will offset the people claiming that they will cancel their subscription as a result of the move to PPV.

Time of the events will likely see crap numbers unless you’ve got Conor McGregor fighting, but I’m not convinced that they’ll care.

As only a casual MMA fan, this will seriously limit my interest in UFC. I've never bought a boxing or MMA pay-per-view. In the case of boxing, it's because there's almost always free radio commentary for significant fights, so unless there's something similar for UFC, I'll probably stop paying attention.

As was discussed in the AEW thread, I've always been stunned at how much American fans are charged for pay-per-view events. Spending several hundred dollars every year to watch UFC, WWE or whatever else on television seems mad to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking around, and it seems that not all numbered UFC events were planned to be Pay-Per-View events under the new deal. I don't think that the exact number of PPV events has been decided, but BT has supposedly been touting the figure of "two-to-three" in replies to customer enquiries. Presumably, the biggest cards will be behind the new paywall and others will remain under the old system.

I can't remember the specifics, but I don't think this one was ever planned to be PPV. Not sure about 241, but 242 definitely was one of the ones originally marked for PPV - as it is the big Abu Dhabi show featuring Khabib vs Poirier.

Under the radar decent show this evening also, with Birmingham's own Leon Edwards main eventing against Dos Anjos. Super tough fight, but a win puts him in a really good spot - last lost to Kamaru Usman 7-8 fights ago after all.

Yeah,  though unfortunately he'll still be behind Lawler if Robbie beats Colby, and if he doesn't, then Masvidal is in front of him. If Robbie wins, though, he'll hopefully be getting the Gambred sweepstakes since Masvidal hasn't finished showing him the entire menu so far.