UFC News and Discussion Thread

On 9 December 2018 at 23:07, Cymbols said:

Cage Warriors 100 was excellent. 10 fights, 10 finishes. Welsh lad won the world title in Wales as well, and the place went mental. 

Watched the UFC main card this morning as well, couple of fun fights on there as well. Max Holloway is quality.

UFC main card was incredible. Marreta is a fucking sledgehammer. Gunni / Cowboy was all kinds of fun (the core strength and pain tolerance to just turn into someone's body lock when they have your back!) and that ending was a goddamn horror movie. Probably bloodier than a murder scene. 

Valentina can lift. Joanna is just way too small for her, but might be way too big for strawweight now. 

Max Holloway is the god of violence.

On 09/12/2018 at 15:40, Bobfoc said:

Is that the end of UFC on BT Sport now?

Sounds like it is now staying on BT mate. Chatter is that Eleven couldn’t find a carrier for the PPVs and are also in a spot of bother. 

Wasn’t hugely fussed so long as I kept my Cage Warriors (at least, the ones I don’t go to), but having UFC still is quite nice. 

Here’s a snap from Cage Warriors 100 btw, took my mum as a birthday present, seats were still quite inexpensive but hella good.

FCC1A765-E4D0-4B9B-AB66-5822B458D870.jpeg

• Like 1

Full details on the UK TV dealings from the Observer newsletter:

Eleven Sports, which just signed a multi-year rights deal with UFC in the U.K., has lost the deal and the company is reported as being in trouble.

It has been confirmed that UFC has pulled out of its deal with Eleven based on a clause in the contract, and is expected to stay with BT Sports, which had the rights to UFC that were expiring at the end of this year.

Eleven is partially owned by IMG, which is part of Endeavor, the parent company of UFC.

The Telegraph reported that Eleven is at risk of shutting down in the U.K. after only four months in the game. The story claimed massive money losses and failure to break through with distribution and make pay-TV deal with Sky, Virgin and BT are the culprits.

It also noted that UFC had already pulled out of its exclusive deal that was supposed to start in January, and that was another blow to Eleven. The UFC deal had clauses in it that required Eleven to be carried by Sky, Virgin and BT. Sky and BT saw Eleven as a rival and refused to allow them to be distributed on their platforms, while talks with Virgin fell apart last month.

UFC at press time is in negotiations for a new multi-year deal with BT, which is said to be close t finalized and they are hopeful it will be done and official imminently.

I did wonder why I could never find it on my Sky box.

• 2 weeks later...

They’re moving the show to a different fucking state because one of their fights tested positive and instead of banning him they’re going somewhere that will allow the fight to go ahead. This without telling any fighters on the card it seems

Using the UFC/USADA logic, if he's got enough still in his system for it to be flagged in a drug test, then surely he's got enough of it in his system to be still receiving a benefit from it and therefore should still be under suspension until such time that he isn't and if that's the rest of his life, so be it.

It's also complete bollocks, half-life of Turinabol is less than two months.

11 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd be really annoyed if I'd bought tickets to the show and they announce they're moving it to another state just a week before it takes place. I'd imagine you'd get a refund, but it's still a big shame if you'd been looking forward to it.

From what I've read people are getting refunds from the UFC in terms of their tickets but those who have booked hotel rooms and other shit are still out a lot of money. People are definitely not happy with this at all and I don't blame them.

11 hours ago, Chris2K said:

There's a BBC headline entitled "Jon Jones: I'm the comeback story people want".

He really doesn't have a clue does he, unless he's just completely trolling, but I genuinely think he believes he is a hero in all of this.

What do you expect him to say?

My only real thoughts on this debacle with UFC 232 is that it's another bit of evidence that Dana got the company in bed with the right people so that they're immune from criticism. ESPN and Fox would probably be the only two who would really make how low they've sunk a story and instead they're both sidesing it and letting UFC get away with screwing thousands of attendees out of money. Instead of also calling into question a lot of their legitimacy as a sport they're just acting like this is a normal sports thing. It's pretty frustrating to watch from that perspective, knowing UFC can keep doing this stuff with little actual ramifications in the media.

10 hours ago, Benjamin said:

What do you expect him to say?

To actually show some self awareness for once in his life?

• Like 1