UFC News and Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Poor Artem Lobov is a very weird take. His fight against Caceres was cancelled because he took part in the bus attack, so he really doesn’t get my sympathy there. And 20 days is plenty of time to find a new opponent, if they do choose to pull Tukhugov. In any case, his career isn’t over, either. No shortage of Russian promotions, who pay fairly well. 

Really enjoyed seeing Khabib batter McGregor. Post fight was fucking stupid though. But in a post busgate UFC, this is the trashy shit I guess we can expect.

Tukhugov’s UFC career is over. Dana White said as much last night at the post-fight presser.

9 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

For all its trashiness now, there was a pretty long span of time where UFC was seen as a clean and respectful company with athletes that behaved themselves as professionals, apart from a few strays that got pushed out when they fucked up. (Example. Rousimar Palhares getting axed after not letting go of a heel hook). There are still plenty of top level guys that are professional and good examples, like Cormier, Demetrious Johnson, Robert Whittaker... But they're 'boring' compared to the bad boys, so Dana rather markets those instead.

Things changed when tides turned. Jon Jones getting into all sorts of drug trouble multiple times over, Ronda Rousey getting popular as a shittalker supreme who said some pretty vile shit to draw ratings, and of course the biggest one of them all in Conor McGregor who pretty much pushed the UFC into a whole new direction as he turned everything into a carny show with no regard of his own actions or what he might say.

And Dana White let this happen because he knew money was to be made, Conor made a shitload of money for himself and the UFC, and a possible rematch is arguably going to buy even better than this match because of these brawls happening. Dana enforced order on the roster until his golden goose became the cancerous one, then all bets were off because money.

I personally have stopped watching a few years back, and the way things seem to happen now is not really an MMA i'm interested in.

That time span where UFC was looked at as a professional organisation was only because the people involved weren't as big names as the ones right now. They still had a plethora of scumbags on their roster, Dana didn't enforce shit, the names just weren't popular. Unfortunately, combat sports is filled with people like this, and it's the easiest sell to non-hardcore fans.

The people of Dagestan never seem to be ones you should take lightly. They basically grew up in hell, I'm not surprised something like this happened. 

Khabib is an animal. I can't even imagine having just finished almost four rounds of world class fighting, then deciding to jump, literally, into a three-on-one brawl with three killers outside the cage. What a crazy, disturbing, individual.

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Still not seeing a reason to feel sorry for Artem Lobov in that. 

You mean besides a man losing his opportunity to make some money because his opponent went and did something insanely stupid? Yeah, okay.

Well, to be fair, he was involved in an attack on that bus that cancelled several fights and costed some fighters money and opportunities. It’s somewhat fitting that the same has happened to him.

It’s just a shitty situation all the way around.

Edited by tristy

21 hours ago, Gazz said:

I went to a UFC show in Birmingham and some drunk Sol Campbell slipped down an embankment and fell in a lake.

To be fair, dude was at a bit of a size disadvantage, that embankment was probably gassed. Not really surprising he'd end up on his back after a single lake takedown.

Khabib said some nasty shit about Conor that threaded the racist line too.

I'm obviously on Conor's side and will be unashamedly biased so I guess I don't really have anything else to add. He's a show-man, he gets people to pay for fights and wound Khabib up too much. I just love that this skinny shit-talking skanger from Crumlin is also this world class athlete and face of the UFC who pisses so many people off. It's fantastic!

Also I didn't realise one of the lads who jumped McGregor was due to face Artem Lobov in 3 weeks. Lobov is a Russian-Irish fighter who was on McGregor's team on TUF. That would have been spicy!

So DC has been stripped of the Light Heavyweight title so that he can focus on the Heavyweight division, but instead of fighting Lesnar next he's fighting Derrick Lewis in MSG. Lewis' medical suspension from Saturday runs out the day before the fight, because that's really safe.

Meanwhile Jon Jones comes back from his third drug suspension and walks straight into a title fight for the vacant belt with Alexander Gustafsson. Because of course he does.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 22:17, tristy said:

Tukhugov’s UFC career is over. Dana White said as much last night at the post-fight presser.

Of the two that Dana said were done, Tukhugov hasn’t been cut yet, and Islam Makhachev has just been booked to fight Trinaldo in January.

Dana chats utter shit, but two exciting guys fight on, so happy days.

In other news, anyone seen the card for Cage Warriors 100 in December? Fucking stacked. Second best UK MMA card of the year after CW92 I reckon. Great way to close out the year - and I think the scene is looking pretty healthy, despite BAMMA dying.