UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'm a very lapsed UFC fan. Watched a replay of Nunes last fight and that encouraged me to buy the show last night. It was a lot of fun. I'm not sure I'll be able to buy all the shows I want, but I'm really looking forward to Cormier / Miocic, so hopefully I can swing that.

I meant to comment yesterday after watching the show. I could honestly watch Andrade and Namajunas fight forever. So so good. I really think Holloway got robbed in that fight but that's what happens when you leave it to the judges.

• Like 1

In my heart, Holloway won definitely. My mind says that it was super close and I could even see it as a draw. A fight that close, you can’t say Volkanovski didn’t have a good argument to be declared the winner as well. 

Can’t wait for Edgar to win next month (he might not) so that Dana can book Yan / Edgar. 

2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

In my heart, Holloway won definitely. My mind says that it was super close and I could even see it as a draw. A fight that close, you can’t say Volkanovski didn’t have a good argument to be declared the winner as well. 

Can’t wait for Edgar to win next month (he might not) so that Dana can book Yan / Edgar. 

I think when it's that close, 9/10 times the judges are going to score for the champ. It was a damn good fight but I still think it should have went to Holloway. I think it definitely warrants another rematch.

Got absolutely mauled by Deiveson, who's such a legit killer everyone forgot about because he missed weight in the first fight. That might have been the performance of the year.

The Joker also getting a submission of the year contender with the heel hook, as KG unfortunately did poorly after the superb lateral drop. As did Lipski with that unconventional kneebar that I loved, countering a calf slicer, too!

31 minutes ago, Forky said:

Benavidez is basically a jobber to the stars in wrestling terms. He’s never going to be champion but for some reason he always seems to be in the conversation for contender.

Yeah that’s a bit harsh. He’s clearly an elite fighter, who was unlucky enough to be in his prime while Mighty Mouse reigned supreme, and then sees the arrival of a guy with freakish power once the logjam at the top shifted.

7 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Yeah that’s a bit harsh. He’s clearly an elite fighter, who was unlucky enough to be in his prime while Mighty Mouse reigned supreme, and then sees the arrival of a guy with freakish power once the logjam at the top shifted.

Which is exactly what Jobber to the stars is....

I never said he wasn't an elite fighter but he's one of those fighters that they feed guys too, he beats them but then there is always that one guy waiting in the wings that they're going to put up against him to beat him.

Also, I do know the term doesn't quite work with fighting because it's not scripted but it's basically the look that he has. He beats everyone before him but doesn't get it done when it comes to championships.

I don’t think he’s lost to any guy he was being positioned to lose to (Cejudo, Formiga), he won every fight which is why they had to keep giving him title shots. They definitely thought he’d be the next guy to be the champ for a while after Cejudo moved up, because there was no investment by the UFC for Figueiredo, he’s probably the least known champ the UFC has had since... Montano? They didn’t even put the original title fight in Brazil, so I’m not even sure how popular Deiveson is there. 

Joe B is Dan Henderson, Alistair Overeem, Gustafsson, Dustin Poirier. Good enough to always be a title contender, but there’s just that absolute athletic great right above them that you’ll never dethrone. Always a bridesmaid, never the bride. 

I get what you mean, but to me a jobber to the stars in that sense is like an Evan Dunham, Jim Miller or a Derek Brunson, guys who would never be a title contender (though Miller came pretty close during that Fox era!) but are good enough to help detect who’s a top 5 contender from the rest of the top 15. 

• 1 month later...