UFC News and Discussion Thread

Update regarding the situation of another potential UFC deal.

- BREAKING NEWS: CRO COP OFF OF PRIDE NYE'S CARD

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - by Al Yu - MMAWeekly.com

Pride star Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic will not be participating at the upcoming Shockwave show on New Year’s Eve according to a source within his camp. The 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix Champion was tentatively scheduled to appear on Pride’s biggest card of the year, but chose to withdraw in order to fully recover from his recent surgery.

"I won't be 100% ready, I still can't kick like I want to. It's better to wait for a few more weeks and give more time to this injury to heal," said Mirko in a statement released on his official website.

Recently, Mirko revealed that he had received an offer from the UFC to fight in the U.S. Sources have confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that the Croatian star has made up his mind regarding his future and will announce his decision very soon.

Anyways, according to the Dana White interview here, here are the confirmed fighters that the UFC has picked up thus far: Rampage Jackson, Mayhem Miller, Heath Herring, Ivan Salaverry, Razor Rob and Urijah Faber.

Also, UFC's planning on going global soon, with shows in Mexico, England and Canada, including a show in Canada in April featuring Hughes vs. GSP 3. And finally, the WEC will not be a farming company for the UFC, but will be run entirely seperate from the UFC, with their own shows, and their own fighters with no inter-promotional fights.

And oh yeah, UFC (or WEC or whatever)'s coming to HBO soon.

As for the Cro Cop thing, if they do bring him in, it'd be great and a huge boost for their heavyweight division, but unfortunately, unless they bring in some other world-caliber fighters at Heavyweight, they're just going to end up with the same problem they have now - one man dominating everybody else. Although, yes, Cro Cop is worlds better than Sylvia, and is definitely more entertaining than Sylvia, and I definitely want to see him fight Arlovski and Vera.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Guest Takayamanofear

Well rumors are now that the UFC is negotating to buy Pride according a artical on MMAWeekly take it for what you well.

I am not sure if UFC gaining a monopoly on the sport is a good thing. IF UFC gets Heath and Cro Cop in one week the HW division is not looking so bad.

I thought I heard that Machida was part of the deal too. Really, he's nothing special, but he'd make a nice little challenge for other 205'ers, since the UFC is almost out of rematches for that division. All that's left it a possible Ortiz/Liddell rubber match and Liddell/Rampage II.

Mayhem and Salaverry reinforce the Middleweight division nicely. That would make a really strong pool of fighters.

Mayhem

Salaverry

Franklin

Silva

Swick

Leben

Terrell

Marquardt

Lister

Okami

Seperate post for this big news:

Croatian Newspaper Confirms Cro Cop to America

And this was posted in a thread over at mmanews.com...

"Chris Lytle told me personally on Saturday night that CroCop signed a couple days ago and will fight Lytles raining partner Jake Obrien in his debut"

Seperate post for this big news:

Croatian Newspaper Confirms Cro Cop to America

And this was posted in a thread over at mmanews.com...

"Chris Lytle told me personally on Saturday night that CroCop signed a couple days ago and will fight Lytles raining partner Jake Obrien in his debut"

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Way to shoot my hopes and dreams. :'(

Derek4jc sent me all that info, and he sent me the link to the supposed site:

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/home/index.do;...37A9678BB88A3.1

I found the article and this is it poorly translated...

Mirko Phillips nee set in at an Hoary year into a Tokiju. Cro Cop this learn commendation Stjepka Buana through dispensary Ligament. My lazy says yes we do does due to wholly zacijeljenja not long ago operating foot does not bih ought boriti. Boji does yes we do does does not bih suzdržao wipe features striking left football , and hereby bih does could again wound learn Mirko. Surveillance happening at an ultimatum fight locale this oh surely understand in a particular sense as a Cro Copovu a message Prideu about tome that it is at an najozbiljnijem vagrant yes we do does relocate into a America borilake lists.
Edited by ACCBiggz

Former Pride Heavyweight vet Tom "Big Cat" Erikson recently posted this over at Gary Goodridge's official forum.

Nothing is for sure until they step in the ring as far as I am concerned. I will say this, that I have taken several calls concerning someone I know very well possibly being Cro Cop's first oppenant in February in the UFC. Will this happen I do not know but I truly believe it is being discussed. You will know more when I know more.

BC

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Televised Card:

Diego Sanchez Vs. Joe Riggs

Jeff Joslin Vs. Josh Koscheck

Drew Fickett Vs. Karo Parisyan

Marcus Davis Vs. Shonie Carter

Undercard:

Victor Valimaki Vs. David Heath

Alan Belcher Vs. Jorge Santiago

Dave Menne Vs. Luigi Fioravanti

Keita Nakamura Vs. Brock Larson

Logan Clark Vs. Steve Byrnes

Undercard fights may be shown if time allows

My Predictions:

David Heath

Jorge Santiago

Luigi Fioravanti

Keita Nakamura

Steve Byrnes

Josh Koscheck

Karo Parisyan

Shonie Carter

Diego Sanchez

Source: Mirko "Cro Cop" Chooses UFC

by Jeff Sherwood and Josh Gross

Reigning PRIDE Open-Weight Grand Prix champion Mirko Filipovic has apparently decided to bolster the ranks of the UFC heavyweight division, a source inside the Croatian's camp informed Sherdog.com Wednesday.

Rumors have buzzed of Filipovic's departure from PRIDE since his official Web site reported in recent days that he would not fight on the Japanese promoter's year-end card.

Filipovic, the No. 2 heavyweight in the world behind PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko, would make an immediate impact on a division that has long been considered among the weakest in the UFC. Terms are not known, but it's expected Fillipovic, 32, could sign one of the most expensive multi-fight deals in UFC history.

A former K-1 star, "Cro Cop" moved from kickboxing to mixed martial arts in 2001, and has since amassed in impressive 21-4-2 record. His biggest accomplishment in MMA occurred just last September, when the Fighter of the Year candidate stopped Wanderlei Silva and Josh Barnett on the same night to capture PRIDE's Grand Prix crown.

It was believed tournament victory would secure Filipovic a second crack at Emelianenko, whom the Croatian lost to by decision in epic August 2005 clash.

Filipovic's four losses have come against Emelianenko, former K-1 World Grand Prix champion Mark Hunt, a shocking knockout against former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman and by submission in a classic battle against former PRIDE heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

"Cro Cop" is renowned for his striking skills, which features a devastating left high kick that is responsible for highlight-reel victories against the likes of Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn and Aleksander Emelianenko.

The super-striker would immediately vault to the top of the contender list for Tim Sylvia's UFC heavyweight belt, should the "Maine-iac," who is currently renegotiating his contract with the Las Vegas-based promoter, remain with the organization.

There has been some discussion inside the UFC that "Cro Cop," who was not under contract to PRIDE, would make his cage-fighting debut versus Jake O'Brien, a young, undefeated fighter whose strength is on the mat.

Televised Card:

Diego Sanchez Vs. Joe Riggs

Jeff Joslin Vs. Josh Koscheck

Drew Fickett Vs. Karo Parisyan

Marcus Davis Vs. Shonie Carter

Undercard:

Victor Valimaki Vs. David Heath

Alan Belcher Vs. Jorge Santiago

Dave Menne Vs. Luigi Fioravanti

Keita Nakamura Vs. Brock Larson

Logan Clark Vs. Steve Byrnes

Undercard fights may be shown if time allows

My Predictions:

David Heath

Jorge Santiago

Luigi Fioravanti

Keita Nakamura

Steve Byrnes

Josh Koscheck

Karo Parisyan

Shonie Carter

Diego Sanchez

That's great news. I can't stand Tim Sylvia and Tim thinks he can KO Jerome LeBanner, we'll see how he'll do against Cro Cop, that's assuming they meet. A shitload can happen in one fight.

The biggest two days in UFC history capped off by a live show on Spike.

Here's to more big free agent signings in 2007!

Predictions

Diego Sanchez Vs. Joe Riggs: Diego by TKO by strikes in the second round

Jeff Joslin Vs. Josh Koscheck: Kos by judges decision

Drew Fickett Vs. Karo Parisyan: Karo by judge's decision, fight of night, a very close fight, could go either way IMO

Marcus Davis Vs. Shonie Carter: Shonie by KO in the first, quick and fun, two great strikers, by Shonie's got more skill and experience

Shonie just got F'ed in the A. Broke the choke but he's still got the body triangle. Maybe not, great patience and work by Shonie.

This should be a good Fight Night, I wanna see if The Blanket has been getting better like everyone says and I wanna see Diego pound on Riggs.

Edited by CM Punk