UFC News and Discussion Thread

It's probably so that it doesn't cause permanent damage. Same for like a broken limb, I would imagine.

The thing is, a broken limb can cause them to be unable to fight back. A broken nose causes them to breathe through their mouth. Meh, either way Condit wins and I wouldn't mind seeing him work his way to a title fight again. Him against Lawler or Rory would be pretty fun.

I mean, I guess it would be the same as what happened with Leslie Smith and her ear, where it was almost torn off. Pretty sure that they just put an emphasis on a fighter's wellbeing more than anything else, despite the fighter and their corner men wanting them to continue.

Which is why I have so much respect for what Makdessi did. Probably wasn't fun to call it quits, but putting your own long-term health first should be something fighters always do.

Really? Sure he's the better fighter, but Cormier just easily beat the guy who beat Gus easily. I mean, winning fights should mean something, right?

It doesn't make sense to me. Have Cormier beat Bader just to waste time waiting for Jones to come back. If Bones isn't back by then, Gus could have won a fight by then to put him in title contention again.

Really? Sure he's the better fighter, but Cormier just easily beat the guy who beat Gus easily. I mean, winning fights should mean something, right?

It doesn't make sense to me. Have Cormier beat Bader just to waste time waiting for Jones to come back. If Bones isn't back by then, Gus could have won a fight by then to put him in title contention again.

UFC likely has a short window to capitalize on a Gus/DC title fight before Jones returns. It's a much more marketable match than Cormier/Bader. Yes, if we're going purely on recent record Bader deserves it, but let's not pretend UFC always gives it to the guy who purely has the best record. Bader is boring as fuck, and his record isn't that much better than Gus to compromise fight quality and profit. I'll take Gus' star power (with recent loses against the best fighter in the world and a ridiculously game Rumble Johnson) over Bader and his string of boring decision wins over middle-tier fighters.

Edited by HeadChuck McGill

And potentially ruin a sequel of Jones / Cormier? Cormier will likely still win, but that's a thousand times more dangerous fight for him than Bader.

Gus isn't that much more marketable, especially after what just happened with AJ. Bader and Cormier have heat with one another, they can replay that altercation they had at the presser a million times, plus fight fans always go for the fight that has bad blood more than a match between two highly-skilled competitors. Also, Bader has never had a boring fight when he's gone up against the best. True, that's mostly due to the best being better than him which ends up with him getting the shit kicked out of, but that's a plus here. After that, Cormier can call out Jones again or have the fight with Gus who would have gotten some momentum back.

Gotta agree with Eddie. I know Cormier and Jones have legitimate beef and everything but Jones schooled him in the first fight, don't see why it would be any different second time around. Same applies to most Jones rematches. Only person exempt to this is probably Gustafsson but his stock has dropped since the first match.

I'd honestly rather see Bader get a shot over Gus as others have said. At least it's a fresh face in the title picture and it gives Gus an opportunity to get a much-needed win in another match (probably Rashad?). Thinking about it, the LHW division really not as interesting as it used to be. :/

Am I the only one who couldn't give a shit about Cormier Jones II ?

If Cormier doesn't gas out the way he did in the first one, it's still a fun fight. It'll have fun pre-fight stuff, make shitloads of money for the UFC and could be competitive.

It's the only other option for Bones that's appealing besides moving up to Heavyweight.

Whether it makes the UFC a lot of money or not is what I base my decisions on whether I care about a fight or not. :P

• Like 1

Yes, because that's the only reason I gave. Fucking brilliant of you.

Calm down, lad

just because you love some sort of 205lb emotionless robot man like Ryan Bader doesn't mean you should be chatting shite at Mr G like that :P

• Like 1

lol, yeah, calm down, I took on board the other things, just dismissed that one thing.

Still don't give a shit about Cormier though.

Yes, because that's the only reason I gave. Fucking brilliant of you.

Calm down, lad

just because you love some sort of 205lb emotionless robot man like Ryan Bader doesn't mean you should be chatting shite at Mr G like that :P

He's just got a really lovely beard, I can't help it!